Firearms

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
SaratogaPrepper
SaratogaPrepper's picture
Hat Tips: 5376
Firearms

I know not everyone is interested in guns, so I figured I's start a forum.

Be excellent to each other.

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Hat Tips: 5257
Good call

Favorite handgun- Springfield XDM .40, 4.5" B. iTone.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-40-cal/

Nice trigger, smooth action, easy disassemble.  I use this in practical pistol matches.  16 rd mags.  If you shoot Glocks, try an XDM.  I had a G23 Gen 4 and made the switch, never looked back.

Plinker- Ruger 10/22 of course.  I have owned several.  Very customizable and efficient.  10 rd mag standard, 25 rd "banana" is fun, 50 rd drum is insane.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/models.html

Rifle-  I was never a fan of the AR platform, being a Wild West fan and a love of lever guns, buttttt I have come around.  If you have not shot an AR, do so.  I have mine (A2 style, combat iron sights) zeroed at 100 yrds, tick down for 150, 2 ticks for 200.  We have a gong at the range for 225 yrds and once you find the spot, bang every time.    Tons of fun, 30 rd mags lined up and you can spend some fiat in a hurry.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 28497
Boomer

I have an XD compact .40 and I love it.  Also have a Glock 17 9mm.  Love that too.  Also have a 10/22 but my favorite plinker is my Ruger MKIII.  I could shoot that gun all day. 

Edit:  By the way, when it comes to Ammo, I am a stacker.  Ammo is money IMHO. My ammo stack has performed much better than my silver stack.

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 1973
My primary carry is a SA

My primary carry is a SA Micro compact and I love it. Of course my collection includes 10/22, AR15 and many others.

My ammo has appreciated well, the only issue is it tends to get shot up, but I have plenty.

Whitecastle123
Whitecastle123's picture
Hat Tips: 1926
Henrys

I was in the gun shop last week to pick my wife's S&W 32 that was repaired and I was looking at the Henry 22s in pump and lever action.  Sweet little guns but expensive. Any owners or feedback?  

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Sweet

Ag- I agree with the MK III.  Had one and traded for some shiney.   Recently traded for a 22/45 Lite,  I have yet to fire.

Whitecastle- Henry is THE one line I would like to own, but they are pricey.  I have found several for sale on armslist.com, but seem to sell for spot less sales tax, which is a bonus.  I prefer to pick up arms that are out of favor and play with, then trade. I have been lucky with one Henry .44, but traded off within a few days.

I have recently started on a reloading setup.  Built table, mounted the vice, tumbled a ton of brass.  Powder, bullets and primers at the ready, waiting for my oldest to come home for xmas break to start putting together. Primary loads are .40, 9, 556, & 30-06.  I have an M1 Garand that I want to de-tune some rounds, easier action on the bolt.

Anyone have info on a Carbine?  I really want one, but I read the malfunctions are PIA.

Ski Daddy-  not familiar with the SA.  Info please.

SaratogaPrepper
SaratogaPrepper's picture
Hat Tips: 5376
Boomer

Not sure what caliber you're looking for in a carbine, but I've got Hi-Points in 9mm and .40 S&W. Definitely ugly and cheap, but they spit out anything I've put into them from quality brass to the cheap steel without a problem.

Be excellent to each other.

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Saratoga

Thanks for the info.  I have steered clear of Hi Point stuff thinking the quality would not be par.   I'll need to look and see what is available. 

Whitecastle123
Whitecastle123's picture
Hat Tips: 1926
Hi Point

i bought the SW 40 and the 40 carbine about 5 years ago.  The carbine I ordered with a BSA red dot sight and a flip down forward hand grip.  For the money you can't beat em. I pre adjusted the red dot before I took it to the range and it was accidentally right on the nuts.  For a crappy shot I was amazed with the red dot.  Definitely worth the 25 bucks I paid for it.  I wouldn't poo poo the HiPoints.  

It's like comparing Jeeps to Porsches.  

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Deals

Click the tabs at the top for sections.  Coupon codes are included.  Everything from guns to clothes.  Best one so far is Sports Authority 20% off on order.  

Saw an AR 15 from Academy for $449.00.

I ordered bullets (just the projectiles), 40 cal jhp $.14 ea & 223 fmj $.164 ea, shipped.  Still have not found 30 cal under $.27, looking for $.20.

http://www.slickguns.com/

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Found a Hi Point

40 carbine, $289 used. Also found a Kel Tec Sub 2000 in .40, $489, black or green.  Will go look at both, see if I can "kick the tires".

If it quits raining and freezing rain here, I'm off to the range to sight in an xdm .40 compact I picked up a few weeks ago.  Sights were off when shot for the first time.  At 25 yrds, 1' right, someone f 'ed up at the factory.  Bought a sight pusher from ebay for $49.

Figured out SA (duh)

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 28497
My buddy has a high point .40 carbine...

He loves the thing. 

http://hi-pointfirearms.com/Hi-Point-carbines/40SW_carbine.html

I have a KelTec .380 which I am not a huge fan of.  Granted it is not its intended use, but I can't hit shit from even 25 ft with that gun.  Yeah, I know, from 6-8 ft I am probably good, so I carry it a lot because of its size,, but I am spying that Kimber Mini .380 to replace it.  For the money I guess they are fine.  Kind of like comparing Jeeps to porsches I guess.smiley

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Small protection

I have the S&W Bodyguard 380, built in laser.  I ordered the DeSantis wallet glove (makes it look like a wallet in your pocket).  One hole to through the "wallet" other than the trigger.  Not a very good setup, but I carry it rarely.  Good belly gun but not much else.  The laser is more effective imho, it will get your Attention.  Nothing like a red dot marking your butt, no matter the distance.

A friend has a Colt Mustang 380 and loves it. 

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/380Mustang%C2%AE.aspx

I strapped on the xdm compact today to go grocery shopping (cold and icey, i can cover, don't like open carry).  Need a different holster for sure, the plastic pos that comes with sucks.  Purchased an iwb leather DeSantis a while back and haven't used yet.  I have to cure the belly bulge first.

Carried a Kahr P40 for a while, nice and tight.  Couldn't hit anything farther than arms length.  Looong trigger pull, more revolver style, and I tended to push left, go figure.

Thinking XDS 45 may be the trick.  After seeing that kid loaded up on PCP in Chicago get shot 16 times with a nine, not going that way.  Ballistics tests and all, real world scenerios win out.  Interesting talking to military guys returning from battle zones.  Not one of them will own a nine, 40/45 only.  One guy told me that a bad guy got inside the perimeter and an officer pulled his issued nine, emptied it, the dude kept coming.  A private pulled his personal .45 and in 3 rounds the dude was done.

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 1973
Colt Mustang

Pocket light is a wonderful gun. I have one of the older ones and had some work done on it. What a great shooter for a 380. Haven't handled a new one yet, but I love the functions on my old Mustang, it trains just like my 1911s.

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
Hat Tips: 17626
Good One...

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Dyna mo hum

I'll double down.

Can they take it apart and put it back together?

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
MOST CAN'T CHANGF A

FLAT TIRE..... PRETTY SAD..

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13573
@ Dyna mo hum - Think You Can Lower The Bar Just Like That, Huh?

3121421.jpg

Cheers,

S. Rex

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
MOAR

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Ended up ordering

One of these in ,40 today.  You can specify which brand of magazines you wish to accommodate.  I chose the glock.  I  dont own one, but it seems everyone else does.  30 round mags work.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/sub-2000/rifle/

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13573
@ boomer

boomer sooner wrote:

One of these in ,40 today.  You can specify which brand of magazines you wish to accommodate.  I chose the glock.  I  dont own one, but it seems everyone else does.  30 round mags work.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/sub-2000/rifle/

Don't overlook/write off the Keltec 12 gauge KSG shotgun 6+6+1

=

6 - .00 Buck

+

6 - Rifled Slugs

+

the opener of your choosing, as well as the means to select the follow up.

414-355-KSG1.jpg

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/ksg/shotgun/

I recommend owning several of these to compliment your Winchester 12 gauge shotgun personal/home defense armory.

Cheers,

S. Rex

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Firearms"