Looking for ideas on the best way to "restructure" my holdings.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
DogFood's picture
Hat Tips: 27
Looking for ideas on the best way to "restructure" my holdings.

Hi all,

My PM holdings currently consist of a mixture of Gold Eagles (various weights), 1 oz Silver Eagles, 100 oz Englhard bars, and bags of 90% silver halves.

I'd like to simplify what I own into fewer forms; probably reduce the 100 oz bars and the 90% silver halves and increase the Silver and Gold eagles.  Of course, I'm hesitant to give up the premium (on both the sell and buy side) to carry this out.

Does anybody have some good tips on how to rebalance physical holdings?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
jackmeoff's picture
Hat Tips: 689

Apmex was offering spot on the engl 100 oz bars and 3.99 on ase last week. Shipping will hurt but that is only thing I know.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
I wouldn't

I wouldn't, at least not in a rush.

I can see why sometimes people swap silver for gold, or gold for silver, but I wouldn't do much switching around between various kinds of silver.  As you said yourself, you are going to eat a lot of premium to carry it out, and end up with less silver over all unless you put more money in.

On the other hand, ​you need to feel good about what you own. If those hundred ounce bars are bothering you, then you'll need to get rid of them.  Maybe just sit tight until some time when you might have parted with some silver anyway, and put those bars first on your list to go.  We get a big pop back to $50 silver?  Maybe lighten up by selling some of what you don't love.  If the GSR drops a lot and maybe you want to swap for some gold?  Again, use the stuff you don't love.

In any case, when you do make a move, I'd go straight to a coin shop to do it.  Looks like you'll be dealing in size, so feel free to negotiate with the guy.  Oftentimes on a swap I find I can get a tighter spread that way than just going with his first prices out of his mouth.

Worst option is to sell something one place, then use the money to buy something else at another place.  Widest spread lost, new issues with shipping and/or sales taxes, etc.

As an aside, I don't know why anyone would want to reduce bags of 90% halves, but that's just my opinion!

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Old Major
Old Major's picture
Hat Tips: 230
trade on craigslist

You could always put an ad on Craigslist.  I recently traded roughly 9 oz of 2010 silver proof quarters for a 10 oz engelhard bar.  I had bought a bunch of silver proof sets before the Mint raised the price on them and have been selling the non silver coins on ebay.  After selling all the non silver coins, the silver left cost me in the mid 20's per oz.  I have been trading the proof silver coins for bullion when I can (on craigslist).  I'm not interested as much in the numismatic value, just how many total ounces I have. 

PastTense's picture
Hat Tips: 25
There are various forums you

There are various forums you can non-commercially buy/sell on. Kitco has one.

Bullion stacker is another:

You might list the stuff on eBay. After commissions certain types of it might worth selling.

But generally I agree, you are going to lose in premiums any changes you make now.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Looking for ideas on the best way to "restructure" my holdings."