Coin Collectors Discussion and Help

768 posts / 0 new
Last post
ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 28514
Coin Collectors Discussion and Help

I have to believe that I am not the only stacker turned coin collector here, and this forum will serve as a venue for us to discuss whatever interests us as far as coin collecting goes.  Maybe you would like to tell us about a new or interesting coin you just picked up, or notify us about a pending release.

For instance, yesterday I bought the newly released US Marshalls commemerative silver dollar because I think it is cool.

Or, maybe you have a coin or two that you are not sure about and would like some help from fellow collectors are what it is and how much it might be worth, which incidentally, is the reason I am starting this forum here today.

I have attached photos of three coins that I purchased in a small coin shop in New Hampshire about 5 years ago. 1 of them has a reeded edge all the way around but no smoothed out portion for numbering and it has 048 on the front as you can see in the photo.  1 has a break in the reeded edging where it is numbered 0364.  The last one has a break in the reeded edge where it is numbered 0239.

I have scoured the internet several times in the last 5 years and have never been able to find any information on these coins.  I assume these coins are made by The Alaska Mint but I am not sure.  I am trying to find out about these coins, and I am wondering if you folks would either be so kind as to provide me with information, or direct me to where I can find information.  I am looking for mintage numbers and perhaps the story behind the coins, as well as their value.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Occasnltrvlr
Occasnltrvlr's picture
Hat Tips: 2864
Buyer Beware - Very Good Fake Morgans

These are silver-plated brass, so they look, feel, and sound like the real thing.  I would post this on Main Street, but... .

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-wholesale-Morgan1890-CC-coins-plated-silver-Coin-Copy-90-coper-manufacturing-old-f/436922168.html?biz_type=sitePromo_wto_buyer360_alert&crm_mtn_tracelog_task_id=602e1bac-d1fe-45dd-91bb-17d1a66d4851&crm_mtn_tracelog_log_id=3636891063&biz_type=sitePromo_wto_buyer360_alert&crm_mtn_tracelog_task_id=602e1bac-d1fe-45dd-91bb-17d1a66d4851&crm_mtn_tracelog_log_id=3636891063

ag1969
ag1969's picture
OJ and ATB's

For those of you that have never enjoyed fresh squeezed OJ with the sun shining in off the lake while you view all of the 5 oz ATB's in all their splendor, this one is for you from the 69 house this morning:

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
Hat Tips: 3623
2nd Vatican Council Sterling Medal

Sterling medal presumably sold during the Second Vatican Council, circa 1965. Bought it out of a junk box at a flea market. Weighs in over 3 ounces. High relief with beautiful details not conveyed in these images. I have not found any information on this specific medal anywhere yet. Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry about the lousy pics. They were taken a while ago in its murky underwater grave with an old camera.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
erewenguy

Try calling this guy:

For assistance, telephone Peter Jencius at 718-836-0674 or e-mail
Email

Here is his website:

http://www.vaticancoins.com/archives/medals/295/#295

The Alska mint did not make those coins I posted above.  They referred me to a rare coin shop in Alaska and he told me he has seen them before but he does not know where they are from and must be a private mint issue that could have been made anywhere.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Speaking of the Alaska Mint

I  won an auction on ebay yesterday for (3) 1 oz. silver coins for 59.09 with free shipping. The three coins were:
A Sunshine mint 1 oz round
A 1999 ASE
and this:

1998 Alaska Medallion - The Moose
image.

Current List Price $200.00

Like some of the other back issue Alaska medallions, the 1998 Moose has become difficult to find.

The one ounce Moose proof had a final mintage of 10,200 and issued at $29.95. Ira Levington of Anchorage, Alaska designed the 1998 Official State Medallion. It is the only Alaska State Medallion to have a mintage number of over 10,000. Clicking on the above image will show this silver proof medallion has a very attractive clean design with the moose antlers standing out in the highly reflective background.

http://www.alaskamedallions.com/1998Moose

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
thanks for the lead ag1969

thanks for the lead ag1969

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
I remember when it hit $1 million

A Sotheby's employee holds an American 1804 silver dollar, estimated to be worth between 8 and 10 million United States Dollars, at Sotheby's auction house in London, England. A collection of over 600 coins will be sold at a series of auctions at Sotheby's New York beginning in May, which is estimated to sell for a total exceeding 100 million US dollars.Picture: Rob Stothard/Getty Images

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/11469263/Pictures-of-the-day-13-March-2015.html?frame=3231550

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Now! This is the way I like to buy silver!

Yesterday Morning, I logged into ebay, searched silver coins, and clicked "ending soonest" only to find an auction with zero bids and 4 minutes left that was for (18) 1965, 1966, and 1967 Canada mint sets.  Bidding starts at 299 with free shipping.  So I bid 299 and won the auction.

For those of you who don't know, each of those sets contains an 80% silver dollar, half dollar, quarter, and dime, as well as a nickel nickel, and a copper penny.

There is a total of 1.1 oz of silver in each set, plus the copper and nickel.  The melt value today at coinflation of just the four silver coins is 18.68, and I paid 16.67 for each set.  I also got 19.8 oz of silver at $15.10/oz.  I also got (72) 50  year old, mint sealed, brilliant uncirculated, silver, collectors coins.

That may very well be the best deal I have ever received buying silver.  Just had to share.

Boswell
Boswell's picture
Hat Tips: 2941
NGC MS70!? ;-(

So, I decided to splurge a little on a slabbed 1/10 oz Eagle (Gold was way down).

As soon as it came in the mail, I whipped out the loupe to admire my new "perfect" coin... HAH! Big ol' scrape along one of the folds of her gown, a rub on her hip and a chip out of one of the suns rays. Bleech! Looked like it was run through a Coinstar machine. After a few emails and phone calls a replacement was had. Much better. Still not much different than the "regular" ones I was getting.

Probably won't be buying any more. ;-(

Putin DeSafe
Putin DeSafe's picture
Hat Tips: 292
slabbed ha pgs ha

Bought some round 1966 50c  80% silver from a little chinese guy uncirculated,  carefully cleaned with scourer. ha lucky they were cheap as.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Boswell

When the Baseball Hall of Fame silver dollars came out, I ordered each of the proof and uncirculated in NGC MS69 and PF69.  The first thing I noticed when I opened them was a big scratch on the PF69 from the middle of the coin right out to the rim.  I huge scratch completely visible to the naked eye.  The dealer I bought it from was perfectly happy to replace it but had no answers to my questions of how that coin could possibly get into a PF69 slab.  It was so obvious that if a real coin grader had actually looked at that coin it would never had made it into a slab.

So while I think all of these slabbed coins are a scam, the good news is that most collectors are still willing to pay a huge premium for a slabbed coin.  Go look at ebay where people pay $35 all day long for a MS69 2015 eagle of which there will probably be 40 million produced when all is said and done.

Boswell
Boswell's picture
I guess the old saying is true...

Buy the COIN, not the Label.

Best to buy this sort of thing In-Person if you are really interested.

Hopefully I will unload this profitably after a while??? ;-)

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Good Score

I just bought the 2013 Maple Leaf 5 oz. $50 Pure Silver Reverse Proof 25th Anniversary Coin.

Here it is listed for $555

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Maple-Leaf-5-oz-50-Pure-Silver-Reverse-Proof-25th-Anniversary-ONLY-2-500-/221193300545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338025ea41

Here it is listed for $459

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Canada-50-25th-Anniversary-5oz-Silver-Maple-Leaf-Fine-Silver-Coin-/171432165997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ea27426d

I just bought it in original air tite with Box and COA for 149.57.  Whoo Hoo!

First 5 oz. silver reverse proof coin!  Sold Out at the Mint.

Specifications:

Mintage – 2,500

Composition - fine silver (99.99% pure)

Finish - reverse proof

Weight (g) - 157.6 (5 troy ounces)

Diameter (mm) – 65 (over 2.5 inches)

Edge - serrated

Certificate – serialized (serial numbers will vary)

Face value - 50 dollars (a legal tender Canadian coin)

Artists - Arnold Nogy (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)

Description:

When the Royal Canadian Mint introduced its first Silver Maple Leaf bullion coin in 1988, the coin's beauty and purity made it an instant success. Since that first release, the Silver Maple Leaf bullion coin has been minted annually with one troy ounce (31.1 grams) of 9999 fine silver and a face value of 5 dollars—the highest face value on the market for any comparable silver bullion coin.  Now the Royal Canadian Mint presents this beautiful coin.  It celebrates the 25th anniversary of the Silver Maple Leaf in a gorgeous 5 oz. reverse proof format.

Special features

• A FIRST!  A large format, pure silver coin struck in a reverse proof finish.  This is a first for 5-ounce fine silver coinage!
  • The reverse proof finish coin highlights the engraved areas of the coin.  It showcases a brilliant design, full of intricate details, all accomplished without removing any texture from the artwork!
  • Each $50 coin is certified to be 99.99% pure silver with a weight of 157.6 grams and a diameter of 65 millimeters (over 2.5 inches).
  • This celebratory coin features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin, used in the first release of silver Maple Leaf coins in 1988.
  • Ultra-low worldwide mintage of only 2,500.
Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16201
Here is the Royal Mint's

Here is the Royal Mint's official picture on their website. From the very first day up, it has been presented thus.

QGz8z6z.jpg

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Royal_Birth_2015_United_Kingdom_5_pound_Silver_Proof_Coin

Notice how the front coin covers the area where the lettering "five" normally sits - all British coins denominations are spelled out in words on coins.

I ordered one and low and behold, when it arrived, there is no lettering. It has been replaced by the number 5.

There is some talk that this may be the first time that numbers have been used instead of letters....if anyone knows more, I'd love to know. It may make this coin a first smiley Here's hoping.

UumhYdy.jpg

http://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=2015crownprincesscharlotte.php&utm_source=mailshot&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ch-mail&utm_campaign=2015royalbirth

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16201
I should that this is

I should that this is regarding a possible first for  five pound crowns.

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
Numismatic Guaranty Corp.

Numismatic Guaranty Corp. Encounters Fake Gold American Eagles

Numismatic Guaranty Corp. recently encountered a submission of American Eagle gold bullion coins that included two 2012-dated $50 face value, supposedly 1-ounce gold pieces that turned out to be counterfeits.

According to NGC, on both counterfeits, details are "exceptionally flat" and the face and hair of Liberty on the obverse are poorly defince. Recessed horizontal lines appear through Liberty's legs, the result of low striking pressure used in manufacturing the pieces, according to NGC.

The letters of the legends and the numerals are of the wrong style. On a genuine 2012 American Eagle 1-ounce gold bullion coin, the 2s in the date exhibit small serifs, but on the counterfeits, the digits appear sans serif.

The color is also off for the counterfeits, which appear more greenish in hue than gold....

http://www.coinworld.com/news/grading-service-encounters-fake-gold-american-eagles.html

silverwood
silverwood's picture
Hat Tips: 1588
Just more mind games

The whole counterfeit thing is a phyops operation against the stackers, IMO, especially when it comes to silver eagles and other government minted silver coins. The mind game being played is to create fear and lack of confidence in the potential usage of these coins for barter and trade.

erewenguy wrote:

Numismatic Guaranty Corp. Encounters Fake Gold American Eagles

Numismatic Guaranty Corp. recently encountered a submission of American Eagle gold bullion coins that included two 2012-dated $50 face value, supposedly 1-ounce gold pieces that turned out to be counterfeits.

According to NGC, on both counterfeits, details are "exceptionally flat" and the face and hair of Liberty on the obverse are poorly defince. Recessed horizontal lines appear through Liberty's legs, the result of low striking pressure used in manufacturing the pieces, according to NGC.

The letters of the legends and the numerals are of the wrong style. On a genuine 2012 American Eagle 1-ounce gold bullion coin, the 2s in the date exhibit small serifs, but on the counterfeits, the digits appear sans serif.

The color is also off for the counterfeits, which appear more greenish in hue than gold....

http://www.coinworld.com/news/grading-service-encounters-fake-gold-american-eagles.html

Boswell
Boswell's picture
Bugs Bunny?

Noticed a big push, a TV commercial & a full page ad in the coupons flyers for these...

$20 FOR $20 ($16.08 US!)
FINE SILVER COIN (1/4 ozt)

BUGS BUNNY

Mintage: 350,000 / Canada and US only
Limit of 5 per household

FREE Shipping too!

What the heck, I got one... Could be the next Mickey Mouse???

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
Counterfeits

"The whole counterfeit thing is a phyops operation against the stackers..."

Counterfeits are nothing new, and are not limited to gold eagles. If you are not examining your own purchases closely, you WILL become one of those suckers born every minute.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Boswell

I bought three of the Bugs Bunny Coins.  1 for me and 1 for each kid. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Coin Collectors Discussion and Help"