peace dollars

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1009
peace dollars

as i continue to search for understanding in todays bass act word market i find myself in pockets of peace. the peace dollar provides one of these places. never been able to get into morgans, not my style.  while pursuing to leave my son some numismatic american history, i have found both amazing eye and pocket lettuce appeal to this set. graded slabs of 62 or better these coins can really pop and a readily available for less than 40 bucks on fleabay. you have to do some hw, and be patient, but typically it is barely more than you pay for them these days out of the junk bucket. my LCS is selling circs for $28 each as of yesterday. of course peacers can get expensive quick, go above ms 64 in most dates you are over 100, if not 1000 bucks...and you have some monster key dates to consider....but that is just another reason why i get up and go to work everyday. 

anyone else collect these? have thoughts? likes or dislikes? 100 oz bars of Ag are great unless you want to get on plane on take a boat someplace....peace be with you, you'll thank me later.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:12

no better time than now

arch stanton
arch stanton's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
benny

I am in the same boat with regard to Peace Dollars.  I use to patronize my LCS every other week (payday) like clockwork and established a rapport with the owner,who would save interesting stuff and good deals for me.  I wasn't wild about paying the premium for Ag dollars, but often that's all he had.  During that period I choked down a bunch of mint state Peace bucks for the exhorbitant price of around ten bucks and put them away without looking at more than one or two.  Iwent on a campaign recently of separating any potential numismatic coins in my "junk" stack.  I came upon the ziploc bag full of MS Peace and started looking at them carefully.  I was totally amazed at what a beautiful coin it is when it's pristine.  Peace dollars are so lightly struck  that any circulation wear at all really changes the appeal of the coin.  I have a buttload of peace bucks which are anywhere from slicks to virtually uncirculated but those MS coins blew me away.  The obverse is is beautiful but the reverse is stunning.  The feathers on the perched eagle are so delicate that they are gone on most circulated coins.  Anyway I am a recent convert to the beauty of Peace Dollars and agree with you completely.  BTW some of them are "30s vintage.

benny_bomb_boom
right on arch

Thank you so much for sharing that info. Ode to the days of $10 silver dollar buckets. I think even if Ag goes to zero these suckers are still going to hold their value, lol. I feel the peace dollar and barber coins really get a tough go and are largely under appreciated b/c of their circulation. These coins in MS are truly stunning. So glad you were able to grab some from your LCS back in the day.

Word to the wise here though, I would avoid purchasing high MS peacers outside of slabs nowadays due to the fact that there has been a dipping epidemic in the coin world. That MS-70 stuff makes these coins look really good and w/o having it in a slab, or a well trained numi eye, you are taking a big risk IMHO.

no better time than now

Pining 4 the Fjords
Pining 4 the Fjords's picture
Hat Tips: 39496
Peace, Bro

Hope all is well with you and yours B3. And yup, she's a beauty!

benny_bomb_boom
feeling it this weekend

moving in may. finally selling my place to get liquid. MS peace dollars may see a rise in quantity at the b3 pad soon. these ladies are sure nice to look at esp when they have their luster.

of course this would be the mother of all peacers to land when/if she exists

http://www.dc-coin.com/images/products/detail/peace_1964d_die6_obv.jpg

no better time than now

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 27986
Triple B

If it is Peace Dollars you seek, put an ad on Craigslist under "Collectibles", that says I will buy your silver coins and pay you more than a Coin Dealer."  Your phone will ring and there are lots of Peace Dollars and Morgans out there.  Coin Dealers typically pay under spot.  I put an ad on CL and when people call I offer them spot.  That way you are more than a coin dealer but you don't have to pay premiums.  I am telling you, it works!  If you are in NH don't do it or we'll have a turf war on hour hands!laugh

benny_bomb_boom
Good Idea

I have used craigslist in the past to buy and sell surfboards w/ success and have often thought about an Ag ad. This may become a summer hobby of mine. Meeting random people in public places to buy their peacers...i am not a morgan man.

The only thing stopping me here is the risk or rise in wacko encounters. At least at the coin shop I know what I am getting, and on ebay, i sit back from the friendly confines of my pad and poach for sweet deals.

You are in luck ag1969 I am in socal so your stash NH is safe. 

no better time than now

benny_bomb_boom
VAM / ,int errors

as i continue down the peace d road...latest encounter has been these error coins or VAM's.

Does anyone have a source for values on these in MS?

I have found a few high MS coins sell for the same or just over non-error coins. My thinking is that these are rarities. I mean how many in a mintage of say 1.9 mil 1926 can there be? 

no better time than now

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Hat Tips: 3661
Thanks for the posts Triple

Thanks for the posts Triple b. I like the Peace dollars too. Hope you and yours are doing fine in SoCal. 

Peace

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "peace dollars"