Healthy Food and Healthy Living

1814 posts / 0 new
Last post
ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 28010
Healthy Food and Healthy Living

The purpose of this forum is for Turdites to have an ongoing discussion about surviving and thriving in the midst of a corruted food supply.  It is my contention that we can all eat healthy despite the ever increasing poison food that is stocking our grocery store shelves.  You are welcome to post anything relating to healthy food, the human body and how it functions, or poison food and how it screws up our bodies.  I don't claim to know everything, but I have done a lot of research and I know many other Turdites are very versed on this subject.  It is high time for us to pool our knowledge.  What good is a big pile of prescious metals if we are sick?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:26
ag1969
ag1969's picture
What has helped my entire family the most...

Is the "GAPS DIET"

You can find some information here:

http://www.gapsdiet.com/

and here:

http://www.gaps.me/

And if you are interested in trying it, you should buy the book by going through Turd's store to Amazon and buying this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MTDI62/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0Q6AXM054PJBSA0MQAYV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

My contention is that GMO food, vaccines, antibiotics, and a litany of other toxins that are in our food supply are destroying our gut bacteria, which is necessary for optimum health.  My wife and I have cured our children, 1 with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and 1 with asthma, by following this diet.  It is designed to reset your system and restore your gut bacteria.  I will talk a lot more about these subjects as time goes on.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Bringing forward the discussion from Main St.

I want to get a few comments over here that were originally on main st.

As I look around my little circle of friends, where I see the most people "waking up" is the food!  Unfortunately, because of the food, we have lots of sick kids these days.  From autism and ADHD to Asthma, Crohn's disease, restless leg syndrome, chronic fatigue, and on and on.

When I was a kid, nobody walked around with an inhaler.  Has anyone here visited an elementary school lately?

When your kid is sick, it kind of forces you to peel back a layer of the onion and figure out what the heck is going on.  As a parent of 1 child that my wife and I cured of Asthma, and another child that we cured of an Autism Spectrum Disorder, I have come in contact with lots of parents of sick kids.  I can tell you first hand that there is a growing population of parents that are 100% sure that our food supply is seriously corrupted.

A lot of these parents would never have woken up to the fact that the government is not "here to help".  But when they find out that a "food" or a "medicine" has poisoned there child, and that said food or medicine is sanctioned by the government, and that they won't do a damn thing to protect other children from meeting the same fate, it wakes them up to the fact that their government is a bunch of criminals.

It is usually at this point that it kind of hits them in the forehead like a brick that if the government will knowingly and willingly allow people to be poisoned all so they can get re-elected, what on earth else will they do to get re-elected?

Now, time has proven that the government can steal all of a person's money and they won't do much about it, but the poison food is waking up a lot of people.

We have a family coming over tonight whose 6 year old daughter is toxic, and they are searching for answers.  They have witnessed the progress we have made firsthand with our children, and are begging us to help them save their child.  It is not much of a mystery, eat real food and do not eat corporate poison.

So, now that I have blathered on longer than I should have, I see the food, and the internet information that has sprung up around it, as a more powerful awakening catalyst than false flags, but I do don the tinfoil hat from time to time.  Cheers!

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/377699#comment-377699

toxic foods

Hat Tip!

eliminate white flour and white sugar in all forms,,, they are the bane of modern society's diets.  Also for every day of shelf live in processed foods they are taking life out of the product.  Canned, boxed, frozen, smoked all remove life giving value from your foods.  Having said all that unless you own a farm and can produce your own meats and fruit and vegetables it takes a lot of work to procure healthy foods.  I believe the jury is still out on organic fruits and vegetables.  I know where my beef and venison come from because I have a direct hand in procuring both.  Aside from that it takes educating yourself and family and working to treat your body properly.  Big business is big for a reason.  When profit margin trumps all other priorities you have the society we live in.  Profit margin becomes important when it is first hand as a company I worked for 20 years went BK.  All are willing to rail on the evils of business and profit margins but I would ask you consider the importance of profit margin as it relates to your job.  Did your company make money last year.  If not, how did they pay you?  They market will get healthy food options from big business when they are willing to pay for it.  Eliminate shelf life and raise costs.  Feed your cattle beer and massage them you have Kobe Beef.  it is all relative.  I picked my 3rd grade grand daughter up from school and was shocked at how many fat kids were in her age range.  It blew me away.  All junk no real food and all sit and no play makes for fat kids.  If I went home with them would I find fat parents?  Any odds on that ?

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/377712#comment-377712

One Eagle Swings

Totally in agreement on the toxic food.  I, however, believe it goes way, way beyond white flour and white sugar.  There is apertame, High Fructose Corn Syrup, antibiotics, growth hormone, GMO, and a myriad of other things that are very bad for you.  Not only are there more and more toxic things, but the constant barrage of antibiotics destroys your gut bacteria, and along with it, your ability to absorb good nutrients, your immune system, and your ability to digest food properly.  For instance, did you know that almost every kid who is in the Autism Disorder Spectrum has an impacted bowel?  They can't digest food and they become toxic.  Get them to poop normally (which sounds way easier than it is) and they are normal, thriving, happy children.  What does the corporate medical cartel say?  They say that the spectrum disorder causes impactions, and that you should give them Miralax everyday of their lives....for years!  They tell you Miralax is harmless, it is just fiber.  But Miralax is made out of plastic!  The reality is the spectrum disorder is caused by the impaction and the toxicity levels that result.

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/377726#comment-377726

Toxic Food. Go Vegan. F the Matrix

Vegan ( pronounced "vee-gan" ) is no dairy or meat. Only veg and fruit.

Here's the bottom line:

Our population is the US is NOT fat, we are SICK. The 'weight' we witness everywhere today is the body 'puffing up' due to inflamation.

No: Meat, dairy, fish, high fructose corn syrup and artificial crap.

Yes: All you want whole veg,fruit,nuts,beans and cane sugar (moderate)

The movie that informed our initial decision:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/377820#comment-377820

Toxic food--InsAndArts

I agree with your point that we are sick not fat. That is a very good point. Inflammation is such a big factor in our health IMHO.

I am paleo but to each their own. Thanks for the link to forks over knives.

Silver66

Ins and Arts

Absolutely correct about inflammation.  And all inflammation starts in your gut.  We need to learn how to restore and maintain our gut bacteria for good health.  I have received many messages in my inbox today about this.  I will try and respond tomorrow about restoring gut bacteria.  The good news is, your body wants to heal if you just let it.  Cheers!

ag1969 and InsAndArts

Hat Tip!

gut/intestinal bacteria are our friends. No wonder one of the side effects of antibiotics is the green apple trots blush. It kills the bad guys but also the good guys, kind of like carpet bombing.

this blogger promotes fermented food, to help your digestive track. He is  a very interesting guy.

http://blog.sethroberts.net/

He might be a Turdite and not even know it

Silver66

Thanks, all...

And for anyone who watched the Ted Talk...

...and wants to reduce their free glutamate intake.  Here is a great source of foods that are high in free glutamate:

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

And, just in case anyone is wondering why I am here on my anniversary, Mrs.1969 is here blogging with me tonight.  She has researched food like you would not believe, and is the one whose passion and drive cured my Son's autism.  If you read the entire page I just linked, she is on it right now telling me, "Yeah, we got rid of this, we got rid of that, and that, and that..."

As I emailed one Turdite already today, check out the "GAPS Diet"

www.gapsdiet.com or www.gaps.me

The gaps diet is what allows you to heal your gut, restore your bacteria, and become healthy again.  It will also starve the candida out of your body.  If you are or have been an alcoholic, if you have yellow toe nails, female related yeast problems, eczema, asthma, allergies, depression, anxiety, adhd, and many more diseases caused by toxicity, this diet will heal you.  We did this diet along with my son, and let me tell you, before I did this diet, I thought I was healthy, really healthy.  This diet taught me how sick and toxic I was, and I could not believe how good it felt to be truly healthy.  

And, there goes all of your inflammation.

TED Talk--ag1969

Hat Tip!

Just watched it with the Hockey game on mute

reminds me of my late mother, "you are what you eat!"

Excellent talk. I look forward to more info from you. I was shocked at the amount of MSG synonyms used by the food industry

Silver66

P.S. let the record show, my Leafs beat the dreaded Habs tonight

ag1969

Hat Tip!

I got seriously into this gut bacteria thing about a year ago.  I made my own lacto-fermented chart/kale and partake in miso/kimchee regularly.  No antibiotics and stay away from triclosan whenever I can.

The most interesting part is my allergy to ragweed/mountain cedar went away, completely.  I also rarely get hungry and have lost weight without even trying.  Why? because the gut bacteria decide how your food is metabolized.

Dr. Mercola has several articles published on fermented foods and gut bacteria out there.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
The Biggest Moneymaker of all Time: Cancer

People wail, cry, and question why him /her, how could this happen to a child? Immeasurable grief.

Yet the answers are quite clear: humans are unknowingly exposed to far too many chemicals on their food, in their water, their clothes – even when buying a new car. That new car smell? Major cancer causing chemicals that have been used to treat the new leather and the rugs in that new car. And people get in and snort it like they smelled a bouquet of flowers.

Food sprayed with chemicals to make them last? Preservatives. At one time, you could not patent food. Yet we now have a patented soybean. Just so Monsanto can profit. This fooling around and injecting chemicals in food has got to stop!

This is why you must demand that food be labeled GMO! Go California!

Even new clothing has been treated with chemicals that can seep into the body and wreak havoc especially in young children. Not to mention the pesticides that are used on your food. What is very interesting is how many people from Monsanto wind up working for the FDA. The FDA is supposed to protect US citizens from poisons, right? Do enough of your own research and the more you learn the more outraged you will become. This is what is meant by the wolf guarding the henhouse. They eat healthy, sure. And you can bet the ranch they don’t eat the food they sell.

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/09/17/the-biggest-moneymaker-of-all-time-cancer-and-why-the-profiteers-dont-want-a-cure/

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17173
ag1969

Excellent forum idea. I was going to pm you that your posts/advice about health are wonderful.

We made an interesting observation Friday night while at a restaurant. Our server was a nice, fit, young man.We had a conversation about where the wonderful crusty multi grain bread was from. It led to a discussion that now that he no longer eats refined grains and sugars he is so much more healthy.

Eating healthily by the few are becoming more and more. I believe it's another example that the masses are waking up, albeit slowly.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hawaii Bans GMO Biotech – Citizens Cheer in Excitement

Hawaii is a unique place – not only because of its cultural and agricultural diversity, but because the politicians sometimes actually listen to the demands of the people. Fortunately, the mayor of the Big Island Hawaii, Billy Kenoi, has now banned biotech GMO from his island, and thousands of Hawaiians are cheering his decision to sign Bill 113, even though the agriculture industry largely opposed it. He can stand proud no matter what part of the islands he travels too, as this unprecedented move to keep the ‘aina,’ or land pure has been upheld.

Furthermore, Kenoi wants to encourage community-based farming and ranching, with a nod to local commerce instead of international biotech monopolies. The only problem with the bill is that is exempts the island’s GMO papaya industry, but it is a huge step in the right direction to ban GMO crops.

In a letter to city council members Kenoi states:

“Our community has a deep connection and respect for our land, and we all understand we must protect our island and preserve our precious natural resources . . .We are determined to do what is right for the land because this place is unlike any other in the world.”

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Thanks Murph

It is great to see you here, and yes, "Persistent Grains" are a big problem.

Chronic Sinus Congestion

Most of us dread the sinus drainage and congestion that comes with the annual cold. Imagine what a nuisance these symptoms become when they occur on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, patients can have regular sinus issues that interfere with their day-to-day activities. Treatments can be daily medications to ease symptoms, and possibly sinus surgery. For those with structural problems, the inability of the sinuses to drain can cause a build up of pressure. In these cases, surgery can be very successful. For many, surgery is not an option, or not enough to alleviate symptoms. These patients need to evaluate specific factors in their diet, and consider nutrients to improve their sinus symptoms.

Most patients with chronic sinus difficulties will experience periods throughout the year when their symptoms are worse than others. These typically occur from exacerbations from spring and fall allergens. An individual’s allergies build up until they reach a threshold, at which time symptoms, like nasal congestion, begin. Environmental allergens like pollen and pet dander are not the only contributors. Food triggers, poor digestive health, inadequate sleep and lack of good nutrition can all aggravate sinus problems. By improving each of these factors, the overall allergen load can move below the sensitivity threshold.

Nutrition can be the most important, but underutilized factor. Two main strategies exist: Decreasing refined sugar intake and exploring potential food triggers. Refined sugar (white table sugar and high fructose corn syrup) aggravates the balance of many hormones in the body and promotes the growth of disease-causing bacteria. Consumption should be reduced or eliminated to dramatically improve sinus problems.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/respiratory/chronic-sinus-congestion.htm

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Why Widespread Nutritional Deficiencies Are a Reality That Must

By Dr. Mercola

There’s been much controversy surrounding the question of whether or not you need to take supplements. Critics claim that vitamin supplements are a waste of money, as you can get all the nutrients you need from your diet. They also claim that most people are not, in fact, nutritionally deficient, thanks to all the fortified foods on the market.

Alas, there are a number of problems with such assertions. First of all, I believe we have to acknowledge that there is a problem with our food supply—it’s simply NOT providing you with the same nutrition as it did in generations past.

This is largely related to industrial based modern methods, which include reliance on synthetic fertilizers that radically decreases nutrient density, including valuable micronutrients that have long ago largely vanished from most of these soils.

Furthermore, toxic agricultural chemicals, used in ever-increasing amounts, end up on and in your food. I believe a strong case can be made that many people—especially if you do not eat a diet of unprocessed, organically-raised foods—are suffering from nutritional deficiencies of varying kinds and to varying degrees.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/01/20/food-nutrients-vitamin-supplements.aspx

ag1969
ag1969's picture
More on GAPS

Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS™) - Natural treatment for autism, ADHD/ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression and schizophrenia

Did your child have normal development in the first year of life, and then in the second year became autistic, hyperactive, defiant, oppositional, aggressive, obsessive, compulsive or developed other abnormal behaviours?

Did your baby suffer from colic, loose stools, constipation, eczema, asthma, ear infections or chest infections treated with antibiotics?

Did you or your child have digestive problems and allergies, was a fussy eater, then in late teens become anorexic or bulimic?

Did you or your child suffer from tummy aches, dyslexia, dyspraxia, was anaemic or vegetarian, and then developed psychotic episodes and was diagnosed with schizophrenia?

Did you or your child have urinary infections or acne, treated with numerous courses of antibiotics, and then developed bloating, abdominal pain and was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)?

Has your baby been diagnosed with Failure To Thrive?

Were you not breast fed as a baby and were prone to colds and infections, and then developed an OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder)?

Did you have food allergies / intolerances, painful or irregular menstruations accompanied by migraines, and then developed depression?

Do you suffer from chronic cystitis, mood swings, anxiety, poor memory, difficulties to concentrate, narcolepsy, are underweight and just cannot put any weight on?

Do you suffer from Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis or any other digestive disorder?

If any of these situations apply to you or your family then you have come to the right place! You need to learn about

GUT AND PSYCHOLOGY SYNDROME

http://www.gaps.me/

Marblesonac
Marblesonac's picture
Hat Tips: 2808
Starting to come down with a cold

Went with my old standbyes

bee pollen, vitamin D, multivitamin, C, and colloidal silver

Seems to work every time.  My doctor mentioned I shouldn't overdue D, as it can lead to kidney stones.

Nice place you have here...

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention I have been getting the wife to buy organic foods as much as possible. Beef, Chicken and milk mostly

No USA gulf or Pacific seafoods.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Nice to see you Marblesonac

Funny you should mention that.  This just in:

International marine science organization releases report on radiation in Pacific Ocean

Oh, and that is a good list to treat your cold, but don't forget probiotics..  Get yourself some Kefir!
ag1969
ag1969's picture
Mrs1969 is joining TFMR right now

And will be available in this Forum to answer questions.  She has researched this stuff way more than I ever could.  If you have any questions about healthy food, she's your gal.  You will get her intro messgae in a few minutes.

opticsguy
opticsguy's picture
Hat Tips: 5957
how heartburn could give you a heart attack

You start popping Nexium because of heartburn.

Reduced stomach acid reduces Mg absorption below the already low levels in our food supply.

The imbalance of Ca-Mg ions constricts  blood vessels and also affects contraction of heart muscle.  Free Ca ions are free to attach to your arteries.

For those with weaker hearts, this could be fatal.  Mg deficiency also affects nerve function and relaxation of skeletal muscles.

unintended consequences.

Mr. Fix
Mr. Fix's picture
Hat Tips: 55904
Nice place you have here AG,

I am always interested in your research, I know there is much I can do to improve my health, even though I consider myself reasonably healthy. Unfortunately, I tend to survive on cans of Chef Boyardee  ravioli,

diet coke, and nicotine, and rarely consider the ramifications of my blatantly unhealthy eating.

Sometimes I even consider giving up my midnight box of Oreos and milk, but not seriously.

I have concluded that I am thoroughly addicted to junk.

My wife and daughter have taken up healthy eating, good for them, maybe if I read your column every day, my own diet will begin to gross me out as it seems to do to other people.

I'd like to welcome Mrs. AG to the forum, it's nice that she takes an interest in what you do.

Mrs. Fix  tends to consider my "virtual friends" a waste of my time, at least on that we disagree.

Back to work, I'll look in on you later.smiley

"When the student is ready,
the teacher will appear."

ag1969
ag1969's picture
opticsguy

All Heartburn medication does the exact opposite of what your body needs if you have heartburn.  Heartburn is a sign that your body can't digest what is in your gut.  And what do heartburn medications do?  They shut down your acid pumps.  As a guy who used to take nexium, I can tell you the best thing for heartburn is Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar.  Take 2 Tablespoons and your heartburn will be gone in 10 minutes.  It raises the alkalinity in your gut so that you can digest whatever is ailing you and heartburn goes away!  Trust me, it works without any corporate poison.

Mr. Fix, thanks for stopping in!

opticsguy
opticsguy's picture
Hat Tips: 5957
Nexium

When I was taking it my Mg levels got so low that my heartbeat got irregular and constricted back muscles started bulging my disks.  After two weeks on Mg citrate (going on 5 years ago) both problems went away.

I used to take apple cider vinegar, but didn't notice the effects as much.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
opticsguy

I do agree that magnesium is a wonderful supplement.  Everyone in our family takes a product called "NaturalCalm" everyday.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Vitality-Calm-Raspberry-Lemon/dp/B00BPUY3W0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390237649&sr=8-1&keywords=natural+calm

It is great for stress, digestion, and much more. 

Left Field
Left Field's picture
Hat Tips: 310
Thanks for a new place of interest

Thank you for creating a new thread. This topic is very interesting. I live in the west of the West Coast, and while most of our food growing area has been taken over by wine grapes, we still have a healthy local food economic culture.

during the time I have been participating in the campaign to get GMO foods labeled I have overheard some amazing conversations. From the Aspergers kid who improves on local natural foods, to the number of gluten intolerant people now living in America.

I am with Mr. fix on the enjoyment of nicotine but everywhere else have moved off the industrial food system. Even the nicotine is now delivered by an electronic device.

my two year journey to eat outside of the industrial food system has me feeling younger on the eve of my 49th birthday then I felt on my 40th.

I am going to bookmark this form and return frequently. Next time I post I will tell the story of the oldest agricultural organization in America battling against Monsanto.

left field

Left Field

Silvergunn
Silvergunn's picture
Hat Tips: 680
Thanks for the forum

few links here...

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

http://www.cheeseslave.com/eat-fermented-foods/

http://www.wildfermentation.com/

http://www.aayisrecipes.com/information-center/how-to-make-ghee/

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3271
Thx for the New Thread

I've been happy to see, over the years, organic sections in main stream supermarkets. Most of them try to source local as well. I suspect some are operated at a  loss but do my part to support. The managers do seem to be proud of what they are doing and happy to talk about their produce. Change happens slowly but awareness is spreading.

Learn to behave

Silverivalist
Silverivalist's picture
Hat Tips: 398
11 Benefits of organic expeller pressed coconut oil

Mrs. S recently read about many health benefits from using organic coconut oil. I was not immediately impressed with her findings until I started using the product. First thing I noticed is it does not have any hint of coconut flavor, it comes in a jar and has a Crisco consistency with a very low melting point. Rub some on your hands and body and they will feel amazingly soft with no lotion like residue.

We started cooking with it and noticed how well it works for greasing a frying pan (cooking eggs) although I'm sure the real health benefits are lost when using it this way. I'm thinking it could be used as a spread or mixed into a vegetable dip to gain better ingestion benefits. 

Here's a link to 10 evidence based benefits I found on the internet, but there are many more then the few that are listed here...

Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Oil

1. Coconut Oil Contains a Unique Combination of Fatty Acids With Powerful Medicinal Properties

2. Populations That Eat a LOT of Coconut Are Among The Healthiest People on The Planet

3. Coconut Oil Can Increase Your Energy Expenditure, Helping You Burn More Fat

4. The Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil Can Kill Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi, Helping to Stave Off Infections

5. Coconut Oil Can Kill Your Hunger, Making You Eat Less Without Even Trying

6. The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Are Turned into Ketones, Which Can Reduce Seizures

7. Coconut Oil Can Improve Blood Cholesterol Levels and May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease

8. Coconut Oil Can Protect Hair Against Damage, Moisturize Skin and Function as Sunscreen

9. The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Can Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s Patients

10. Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Fat, Especially The Dangerous Fat in Your Abdominal Cavity

11. (Bonus benefit) Because of the natural anti biotic properties of this oil I had the brain storm idea of using it as a personal lubricant. Mrs S and I are getting older and have allergies to petroleum based lubricants. After a nice movie date I proposed using the oil on us! She is an RN and Licensed Mid-Wife and was a little hesitant at first to try it. But now she swears by it and recommends it's use to all her friends and colleagues.  The part I like is no oil slick residue is left over like when we used petroleum products and no weird petroleum smell (it has no smell at all)

Ok, maybe a little TMI for many readers but I thought I should throw #11 in there anyway. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Healthy Food and Healthy Living"