Fukushima

98 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5287
Fukushima

Where is Greenpeace, or one of these watchdog groups on Fukushima?  

No bark in the night?   Have they fed the watchdogs irradiated doggie treats or what?   The silence is deafening.

The perfect pollution... Can't see it, taste it, smell it, until you are full of it and suffering from some related issue.    

Russian physicians where not allowed to diagnose health problems as from Radiation exposure post Chernobyl...

Don't want to pound this poison drum all morning...

But where the heck is the scientific community speaking out about the ongoing Fukushima non containment issues!?

sorry guys, i thought this post was going in the Current Events Forum. oops

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:01

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16200
I'll be 30 km or so from the

I'll be 30 km or so from the plant in a couple of weekends if that's any help - til then......

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Check that, I'll be much

Check that, I'll be much nearer and I'm not kidding either - Sept 6th to be precise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamis%C5%8Dma,_Fukushima

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008

Gramp
Gramp's picture
For business or pleasure?

For business or pleasure? cheeky

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Sponsored cricket match -

Sponsored cricket match - we'll be meeting the mayor etc........just trying to bring a little joy to the locals and community at large with a serious underside to it - representatives from embassies will be in attendance too.

Gramp
Gramp's picture
So... is there more effort

So... is there more effort being put into  PR, or decontamination?    

Do you think it's as bad as some sources say, or that things are being exaggerated?

Are you comfortable with being in such close proximity?

Will u be wearing a dosimeter?

Drinking local water?   I wonder if communities such as you mention are shipping drinking water in, or if the local water sources are considered safe?

I wish the best for those who are burdened with this  Industrial nightmare.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Our Captain is a nuclear

Our Captain is a nuclear scientist assigned to advise Fukushima over the past two years so I know he knows more about it all than anything in the media or anyone else having known him all that time. I have given up debating online as others get so heated up professing to know all about it - ditto, I will not discuss here for the same reasons - that some just are not capable of calm debate and I say that from two years of experience and actually living in Japan.

Currently, the BBC is trotting this guy out to stir things up  and conveniently forget to mention he is anti nuclear activist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23779561

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycle_Schneider

Hammer
Hammer's picture
The local children etc are

The local children etc are measured on a daily basis and no we will not be measured - your other question re water I will be able to answer after the match :-) There has been mammoth efforts to clean everything up but it will take a very long time. I love surfing and wanted to know recently if surfing along the Chiba Prefectural coastline was safe in light of recent news. The reply from my acquaintance mentioned above was that I was more likely to die from drowning on the day I went surfing.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
p.s. your kind thoughts

p.s. your kind thoughts towards those less fortunate than yourself is very Bhuddist and would be well appreciated. I will pass them on to those I meet when I go.:-)

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Fukushima - well worth ten

Fukushima - well worth ten minutes of your time

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=223916

Gramp
Gramp's picture
So, is Gundersen (

So, is Gundersen ( Fairewinds)  fearmongering ?

Hard to believe how some say Nu ke power is  so cheap, when nearly all the spent fuel sits in temporary storage with ongoing fighting over how it will be dealt with.  

Long term storage has not even been factored into the 'cost'!

Many states have ongoing costley Law Suits pending with the Dept Of Energy regarding long term fuel storage. The DOE garenteed in writing that they would take spent fuel from the reactors here stateside. Well, now they won't take any of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted May 22, 2012, at 5:38 p.m.
Last modified May 25, 2012, at 11:11 a.m.

"Currently, Maine Yankee’s 1,400 spent nuclear fuel rods — which will pose a threat to humans and the environment for at least 10,000 years — are stored in 60 airtight steel canisters encased in concrete that stand vertically atop a concrete pad on 12 acres in Wiscasset protected by a security fence and 24-hour surveillance. Another four “dry cask” containers encase irradiated steel removed from Maine Yankee’s reactor vessel during the nuclear plant’s decommissioning, completed in October 2005.

The cost of operating, maintaining and providing security for Maine Yankee’s radioactive waste is approximately $8 million per year.

Eric Howes, director of public and government affairs for Maine Yankee, said today the three Yankee companies have another pending lawsuit against the Department of Energy, on identical legal grounds, seeking a total of $264 million in damages.

That lawsuit, filed on Dec. 13, 2007, in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, seeks $43 million for costs Maine Yankee incurred storing and safeguarding its high-level nuclear wastes in Wiscasset from Jan. 1, 2003, to Dec. 31, 2008. Connecticut Yankee seeks $135 million and Yankee Rowe $86 million in damages."

(Chief nuclear officer of Maine Yankee and president of Connecticut Yankee.) “We urge the federal government to fulfill its commitment to remove the spent fuel and greater-than-Class C waste from our sites without further delay and to stop pursuing a strategy of filing costly appeals that are not beneficial to ratepayers or taxpayers.”

Nuclear waste from around the country was supposed to be stored at Yucca Mountain in Nevada, but the repository has not opened because of opposition in Congress, most notably from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Nevada Democrat. President Barack Obama stopped further work at Yucca Mountain in 2010.

more: http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/22/news/midcoast/maine-yankee-wins-81-69m-lawsuit-against-federal-government/

What can be done with nuclear waste?

An average 1,000-megawatt commercial nuclear reactor produces more than 20 tons of spent fuel per year. This used fuel still contains quite a bit of energy, but its fission process has slowed too much to be useful in making electricity. Because it is warm and emitting radiation, it must immediately be placed in cooling pools adjacent to the reactor. Regardless of a country’s chosen waste disposal method, all reactors’ spent fuel starts in these pools and stays there, covered in water, for up to five years. Once the waste has decayed and cooled enough to be moved, there are four options:

nuclearwaste.jpg
Bonnie Berkowitz and Todd Lindeman | The Washington Post
SOURCES: Revis James, director of the Energy Technology Assessment Center at the Electric Power Research Institute; William R. Martin, professor of nuclear engineering at the University of Michigan; Nuclear Regulatory Commission; Posiva; World Nuclear Association; Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hi Gramps. As I said I will

Hi Gramps. As I said I will be up that way Saturday now I am back in Japan. There will be some brains there and I will see what I can glean during the day out..

This is the event for your information

https://www.bccjapan.com/events/2013/9/friendship-cricket-match-british-embassy-vs-tohoku/

wrs
wrs's picture
Hat Tips: 283
Sure you don't want to change your plans?

Now Japan is saying that radiation levels are as high as 2200 msv/hr at the plant.  How can that be?  That water that you seem so unconcerned about is the source of those radiation levels.  How does water become that radioactive?  It seems to me that it must be coming into contact with an active source that is still reacting, not simply decaying.  

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Just back from a cracking day

Just back from a cracking day out right on the borderline zone for a cricket match to support the local people there. Brilliant day out and I we were all treated to an explanation of the recent situation by The First Secretary (Nuclear Officer) attached to The British Embassy.

Suffice it to say I am wiser and comfortable with the situation and the explanation given and as for any North Americans or others screaming it's the end of the world, alas, you will have to find something else.

I wish I could remember everything in exact detail as it was explained at the time but everyone was satisfied with the explanation.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
FYI http://www.telegraph.co.u

FYI

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/10293471/British-diplomats-shrug-off-nuclear-fears-with-Fukushima-cricket-match.html

Hammer
Hammer's picture
400 tones of water is

400 tones of water ( 1 ton is 1 meter cubed so stretch your arms out and it is that size for one ton in cube form) is recycled through the system (note recycled) to cool the rods. the waste is filtered and stored in a single tank and then reprocessed via ALPS before being released into the ocean (The ALPS processor recently broke down and they are building a second one so you will hear scare stories about that going forward even though they are building a further tank between now and December to store the increasing amount until the ALPS processor is up and running again. Other waste water is stored in an ever increasing number of tanks on site that are constantly being built to house the water. Three of those tanks were transported from elsewhere before being placed on site and those three tanks are under suspicion of being the source of leakage due to not having being constructed on site and loose bolts appear to have been the cause. That is where you are hearing of large amounts of localized contamination which does not affect the population either locally or elsewhere.

Now, water from rain etc falls and drains down from the hills above the site naturally through the rock and forms a water table underground. that water would naturally make its way to the sea over time (gravity) That water table was high enough naturally to mean that it was running through the site and connecting with the leaked water and then into the sea underground (underground also acts as a slow filter for contamination  and takes time to move through although some wastage does of course make it to the sea).

They have drilled down through the hillside above the plant already and put a wall in (not the ice wall proposed recently) but a wall to cause the water table to drop (a kind of dam if you will). This has reduced the underground rain water from flowing through the plant underground and reduced the amount it comes into contact with.

Now noone is suggesting it is perfect but the panic buttons that the media and scare mongers have been putting out is more from a lack of information rather than dishonesty and so the story goes.

Drinking water is fine there as it comes from the rain water above the hills and has not come into any contact with the leaked contaminated water under the plant.

Going from memory, that is about as much as I can remember right now from Saturday. Hope  this may help :)

As I mentioned earlier, I will not be discussing anything.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
To quote our Captain (1st

To quote our Captain (1st Secretary (Nuclear Officer) from the article linked above).

"There is a great deal of misunderstanding about the situation and that is in large part due the fact that most people are simply unfamiliar with the concept of radiation,” said Dr. Keith Franklin, captain of the embassy cricket team and seconded to the embassy in Tokyo since September 2011 from the National Nuclear Laboratories.

"I have been to the plant three times so far and I have been very impressed by the progress they have made on the large-scale construction tasks that needed to be tackled,” he said. “The more technical stuff is harder to do, but they have got a roof on one of the reactors, constructed a gantry to take the fuel rods out of one of the reactor pools and they have done that incredibly fast.

“We wanted to have this match today just to demonstrate that it is safe to be in Fukushima Prefecture,” he added.

The embassy team lost the limited-overs match by 34 runs.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Separate review and in line

Separate review and in line with what I have been told as mentioned above.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Some more - recommend reading

Some more - recommend reading the whole article. I'm not saying everything is unicorns and rainbows of course but there is too much one sided-ness going on out there and a more balanced view is always to be welcomed.

http://atomicinsights.com/another-update-highly-radioactive-water-leaks-fukushima/

Another update on “highly radioactive” water leaks at Fukushima

The media frenzy about the detection of water leaks from the vast tank farm that Tokyo Electric Power Company has been forced to build to store water used to cool the three damaged cores at their Fukushima Daiichi power station continues to sizzle, even in the face of the potential for US attack on Syria. (A more rational solution to building an ever-increasing number of water tanks is to use a tanker to move the treated water a few miles out into the Pacific Ocean for safe disposal.)

The latest media discovery was that the reading that was initially reported as 100 mSv/hour was really 1,800 mSv/hour because the detector that produced the 100 mSv/hour reading had a range that maxed out at 100 mSv/hour. What few, if any, media reports include is an explanation that the measured dose rate is nearly 100% beta radiation and that it was measured at a distance of just 70 micrometers from the radioactive material. Beta radiation can be shielded by a single sheet of paper and will only travel about 1-2 meters in dry air.

Someone needs to help journalists understand that there is no way that a beta-emitting radiation source can cause a deadly dose to a human being unless it is ingested in a concentrated form. Even if it is in direct contact, about the worst it can do is cause a skin burn; I would also not recommend using water contaminated with a beta emitter for eye wash. I suppose I have volunteered for that educational task.

As some of the more informative initial reports stated, the gamma radiation from the leaked water measured 1.5 mSv/hour. That number is still valid; it was well within the accurate measuring range of the instrument used. In one of myprevious updates on this topic, I postulated that the measurement was an outlier that might have used an unrepresentative sample of water.

According to an anonymous comment I received this morning that has the ring of truth from someone who knows what he is talking about, that postulate was wrong. Apparently, the concentrated waste water used for core cooling before going through the treatment facility generally has a high beta dose ratewhen measured at a distance of a 70 micrometers.

After treatment, the concentration of beta emitters that are not tritium gets reduced by a factor of 4,000. (All Beta radiations entry in column 7 versus column 8 in “Nuclide Analysis Results of Water at Water Treatment Facility”.)

Since tritium is an integral part of water — H2O where the H-3 is inseparable from the normal H-1 and H-2 — it makes it through all water treatment. It is the isotope that causes any water used to cool a nuclear reactor to be called “controlled pure water” (CPW). The amount of tritium in this water is not a health concern, especially if diluted into the ocean.

achmachat
achmachat's picture
Hat Tips: 9472
more info

This senior TEPCO official does not sell uranium for a living (like the guy in the video above) nor does he need to sell you a "safe Japan" for the olympics.
You might want to take what he has to say seriously.

http://rt.com/news/fukushima-under-control-tepco-819/

Hammer
Hammer's picture
He is referring to the water

He is referring to the water leak contamination and NOT the plant as a whole.

I do hope you understand the difference and the three different types of water that exist on the plant.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Fukushima"