MS 70

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1009
MS 70

just curious what those of you hear think about graded coins and the numismatic value of coins in plastic with letters and numbers attached to them. 

Personally ~~ I have not purchased many of these suckers, but i am beginning to come around to the idea. 

What are your (+) & (-) of these plastic cases? 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:12

no better time than now

benny_bomb_boom
or here ;D

anyhow i found 1 i like. a 20z 2004 kookaburra...quad melt in ngc ms 70.

no better time than now

Hagarth
Hagarth's picture
Hat Tips: 2182
The new cases are...

less prone to scratching  than previous years, allowing the full viewing over time of the coins.  Larger coins as the 20 oz is going to be a non starter numismatically due to its size thus its price.  Sure the numbers produced a slim but the demand from the collecting community has to be there, few are willing to consider this 20 oz. ingot a coin.  Stick with the bullion 2 oz and under, affordability is paramount for most collectors.  If you wish to buy bullion MS-70 the Libertads have some nice mintage numbers under 1 oz, especially the 1/4 oz libertads.

As well you may wish to purchase some Britannias in MS-70 look for the 3 lowest production years to hedge your decisions.  Although the lowest numbers sound good many people focus very hard on those mintages as such many coins in great condition can be found.  Pick wisely & do your research, choose coins with Great design in the bullion arena or a great tie to history...hopefully both. 

Now regarding the cases, in USA primarily these are the industry.  In Europe not much demand for them...they like the tactile feel of their coins.  Note I did mention coins, not bullion.  PCGS and NGC are still trying to get people to accept their wares but with CAC coming out to verify grades I do not think the Europeans will take kindly to the hard shell plastic case.  You do need a proper case to store the plastic coin cases, to prevent scratching/rubbing.  I recently had a coin graded and wish I had not, although it graded very high.  Holding the coin can be very satisfying, the weight the feel and the viewing...all tactile and visual appeal can be lost using the cases.  For selling items quickly and with grading confidence supplied through these two companies (PCGS #1 NGC #2) their plastic cases are good for commerce. 

Personally for MS-70 coins only buy PCGS.  NGC is good but uses a lot of resources in the international coin grading, whereas PCGS is proficient with American coinage.

Suntne vacci laeti.

benny_bomb_boom
Hagarth ~~ thanks for the insights

That is exactly what i am interested in. the coin i found, 2004 2 oz kook is 2 not 20 oz so i think it fits into your preferences except that it is not PCGS.  I have done some reading about the differences, i really like the presentation of the NGC, esp since they changed the case to give the whole coin view. sides and all. 

Happy hunting. 

no better time than now

benny_bomb_boom
in light of a grade

just found a PR 66 1884 liberty head nickel and that got me looking at these things....i do not have a liberty head nickel....if i could have any, of course it would have to be the 1913. here is a C&P of the beginning of a pretty cool article if you are interested.

In 1996, numismatic history was made as Jay Parino paid over 1 million dollars for the Eliasberg specimen of the 1913 liberty nickel. This was the first coin to break the million-dollar barrier, with a final hammer price of $1,485,000 after a 10% buyer's fee was added. This amount surpassed the previous record paid, set in 1989, of $990,000 for the Dexter specimen of the 1804 Dollar and the $962,500 paid for the Reed Hawn Specimen of the 1913 Liberty Nickel. You can read a transcript of this sale, and even listen to the actual auction call by clicking here. The mystery surrounding this coin is that, while there are 5 known specimens, there is no record at the mint of any being produced. Here lies the mystery.

The existence of a Nickel with the Liberty design dated 1913 was not known until the ANA convention in 1920, and even speculation of such a coin was not even thought of until the following ad was placed in the December 1919 issue of the Numismatist.

http://www.libertynickels.org/1913liberty.php?name=1913 the whole article on this coin can be found here.

no better time than now

Hagarth
Hagarth's picture
Hat Tips: 2182
Recently

Heritage sold one I think in Jan 2013 for $4,100 although I think it might have been an 1884 Ultra Cameo, beautiful coin!  The prices for them have been stable for a long time, there are a lot of 1884 nickels in comparison with some of the other years, for the rarity the PR 66 UC is the one to save for (2 graded by NGC), there are many high grade 65 and better for $600 to $750.  Pinnacle rarities has an PR Cameo for $1200 which is pretty good the population report on those for NGC is around 41 which is half the price of the 2012 selling prices at Heritage auctions.

For just a few hundred more the Cameo would be the best non bank breaking coin of the 1884 series.

Suntne vacci laeti.

Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
Hat Tips: 3312
We've been buying 50

We've been buying 50 cent/half dollar pieces - the commemorative half dollars.  We try to find them at reasonable prices with a PCGS grade of at least MS-65.  These are affordable and many have beautiful designs.  We have quite a few from 1925-1937 (just going off the top of my head - I may be off by a year or two).  We really liked the Oregon and Texas designs.

Seller of high quality, Thrive brand freeze dried storage foods: www.freezedriedpantry.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "MS 70"