the jeton

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1009
the jeton

"A simple calculation of the probabilities reveals that the more people you are exposed to during your daily travels, the higher the odds that something unpleasant is going to happen. "

in the 1600-1800 these were used as tokens. anyhow they have some made of silver/ FYI

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:12

no better time than now

benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1009
a very interesting endeavor

French Jetons offer a particularly fertile field  for the collector. France jetons are still available at reasonable 

prices, with rare issues offering outstanding value. It will not be long before demand catches up with supply. Also 

appealing is the fact that one can, over time, amass a collection of hundreds of jetons, all with different reverse 

designs.  There are not many other areas of collecting that offer this degree of diversity and value.

not that i want everyone to take this hobby up with me. but i would not mind....so i posted this here....the few i have come in contact with of late have extremely fine detail, and in UNC are fabulous examples of strike hundreds of year ago. mintages are not common knowledge. in talking with one local dealer last weekend, he understood average strike to be around 10k with some of the rarer token in the triple digits ... that gets the collector juices in my flowings. esp when i took home this XF 1843 coin, only 160 years older than my first son, for $50 USD. 

to me that is a deal and a collection worth working to acquire. happy hunting. i will try and post my finds. 

no better time than now

Hagarth
Hagarth's picture
Hat Tips: 2182
Good point,

Jetons are under appreciated.  Much like stamps these days.  I prefer the tokens moniker but to each his own the 1st one I saw was one kept by my grandfather and handed down made of brass for 1690 something.  Turned out it was a copy of a spanish coin used at a time when the spanish mint could not produce and send enough coinage out to its colonies.  Sure the value is small but the history is great...to my thinking.

This is one I am saving up for, maybe I will amass a small collection of masonic imagery tokens. 

Suntne vacci laeti.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "the jeton"