Storage Foods - Taste Tests

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
Hat Tips: 3312
Storage Foods - Taste Tests

I am finding that there is a wide range in the quality of freeze dried and storage foods, both in ingredients and taste tests.  I'm starting a thread where anyone who is interested can post reviews of their favorite storage foods and those that they thought were less than palatable.

To keep things on track, let's keep the following in mind:

1.  Any foods you test and report on should be available on the open market (i.e., available to anyone here via mail order or buying in bulk to add to their own storage containers, etc.).  The point is to help people make informed buying decisions.

2.  Foods should be able to be stored for 3+ years - no early date expiration dates.

3.  Discuss reliable suppliers

4.  Let everyone know if you added ingredients to the package when cooking to improve the taste.

"Friends don't let friends buy crappy food for TEOTWAWKI!"

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:05

Seller of high quality, Thrive brand freeze dried storage foods: www.freezedriedpantry.com

Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
Mountain House - Granola with Milk & Blueberries

On a scale of 1-10, I'll give this a 7.  I could eat it daily if needed.  Not too sweet, a decent quantity of blueberries, ingredients list is fairly good with the exception of a small amount of soy.

Each 4 oz pouch offers two 260 calorie/8g protein servings, and the quantity of food is fairly good when 4 oz o cold water is added in. I've also dumped dehydrated fruit into the pouch in the past to give a few extra calories and taste, but it's completely fine as-is.

I'm a bigger guy at 200+ lbs, and I find that one serving is not enough for me so I tend to eat the whole pouch.  At a cost of $4.99 per pouch, it's not a bad price.  Prices are starting to go up now, and locally these now cost $5.99.  #10 cans with 20 servings will cost $32-$38 depending if you can find it on sale.

Can be stored for 5+ years in the pouch, and up to 25 years if purchased in #10 cans. 

I've added buying 3 cases (18 cans) to our stored foods target.  So far all I've bought are the pouches.

Seller of high quality, Thrive brand freeze dried storage foods: www.freezedriedpantry.com

Outfitter
Outfitter's picture
Hat Tips: 287
A couple favorites

Country Cream powdered milk is what powdered milk should taste like.....the real thing. We use a little bit more than the directions call for which gives it a whole milk taste and texture.

Ova Easy egg crystals are also excellent and amazingly good taste. You will never buy powdered eggs again after tasting these.

All time favorite is still Yoders Bacon....just glad I stocked up a couple years ago as prices have skyrocketed.

If I'm the last man standing I want to have a BLT  or bacon and eggs available!

Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
I've never heard of country

I've never heard of country cream powdered milk but will look for it.  I've tried adding a drop or two of vanilla extract to Walmart brand powdered milk and it improved the taste dramatically.  I've hated powdered milk since I was a kid and am happy to have found a way to make it drinkable.

Next up is Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork.  I tried this and I am NOT impressed.  Normally I like anything with "Sweet and Sour" associated with it, but this stuff was a little too bland, and had a strange aftertaste.  I am wondering if I got a bad batch, but my first experience with it was not positive.  I tried the pouch version - I will not buy cans these days unless I've tried the pouch first.   That is a much more cost effective way to experiment.

I have also tried MH Mac & Cheese, and it was actually pretty good.  Very filling, good source of protein.  I am finding that you have to add about 10% less water to the pouch to achieve a good texture to the food.

Outfitter
Outfitter's picture
Hat Tips: 287
For a real treat...

Try the Country Cream Milk Chocolate. I'm not a big chocolate fan but this is really amazing. Bought some originally as a "comfort food" for our storage plan and now use it at deer camp and even at home for a special treat.

Both products have won numerous taste tests and awards.

I agree on some of the MH products, try the pouches before investing in the #10 cans. Some of the breakfast items are decent. Of course some Tabasco fixes a lot of issues.wink

Check Costco online if you have not. They have really expanded their storage/emergency supply offerings recently and their delivered prices are hard to beat.

Magpie
Magpie's picture
Hat Tips: 11457
Milk

I bought some powered milk from Amazon.  The brand is "Peak", and it's whole milk not skim. A product of Holland. I've only used it for cooking, and it's great.  But it only has a two-year shelf life.  The bottom has the packaging and expiration dates stamped on the bottom.  It wasn't too expensive.......especially if I need a half a cup of milk for a recipe, and then the rest sits in the fridge until it goes bad.

Here's the link, and the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Whole-Milk-Powder-900-Grams/dp/B004K0862K/ref=sr_1_1_det?ie=UTF8&qid=1371335814&sr=8-1#productPromotions

ancaro imparo.

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Wise Foods and others

I am actually a reseller of Wise freeze dried foods in case anyone wants to order in bulk. I'll get you the best pricing Wise allows me to offer (free shipping on some of the larger orders). I've had it a while back and it was pretty good but haven't tried it lately. The stuff just sits in my cool closet for emergency. At some point they will offer a new line of product with less sodium, but I am awaiting responses.

I did try a few other brands last year while camping....

This was awesome tasting - Risotto with Chicken
http://www.backpackerspantry.com/products/two-person/chicken-entrees/risotto-with-chicken.html

And I also had the mac and cheese and it was really good. But I find myself liking pretty much every mac and cheese so I am biased admittedly.

I also had the mountain house chilli mac and it was actually pretty tasty. I am generally surprised on the quality and taste most of the brands deliver.

Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
Mountain House Breakfast Skillet

Probably the best breakfast food I've tried so far.  Excellent - slightly smoky flavor.  We are a family of six and ALL of us liked it, which is amazing.  My daughter suggested adding a few pinches of shredded cheese to the mix, and that would make it perfect.  Easy to prepare - just add hot water.  Not too much sodium, and although it is a "wrap filling" it's great all by itself.

Available in Mountain house packages and #10 cans.  Now that we know we like it, we're ordering a couple cases of cans. Plus a case of mixed cheeses.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Storage Foods - Taste Tests"