My Avatar has disappeared

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Hat Tips: 3349
My Avatar has disappeared

After the recent server troubles and increased security features everything worked good for me and I've never encountered even a captcha.  But yesterday my avatar disappeared.  I checked the box to delete the existing file and uploaded it again but I get the same result.

I've noticed a few others have vanished as well.  Any ideas?

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
Probably happened at a moment

Probably happened at a moment when the server lost connectivity to the database.  If you're trying to upload a new avatar, take the following steps:

1. Check the 'delete' checkbox for the avatar and save your profile.  Don't try to upload and delete at the same time.
  2. Modify the file name of the picture you're trying to upload.  If it has the same name as the old one, the server may try to display an old version (which it can't do because it's already been deleted).
  3. Upload the picture and save your profile.

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

admin
admin's picture
Quick follow up... there is

Quick follow up... there is definitely an issue right now with adding avatars to user profiles.  We hope to have this resolved shortly.  Thanks.

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
I did #1 but not #2 as I used

I did #1 but not #2 as I used the same name.  I see I now have the generic avatar so something is happening.  I'll hold off trying again until you give the green light.  Thank you!

admin
admin's picture
I think we have the avatars

I think we have the avatars back in order.  Give it a try when you get a chance and let us know if you have any further issues.  Thanks.

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Thanks very much.  It seems

Thanks very much.  It seems to work now with a caveat.  The avatar with 2 gloves you see now was the first pic I got it to accept.  Last night, I replaced it with a different avatar (1 golden glove) and different name which uploaded and displays in my account successfully. However all my posts still show this old pic of 2 gloves even though I deleted it.  Maybe it just needs to propagate thru the system for a full day.

I don't plan on changing all the time so sorry for the mess.  I just thought it was time for a slight change and it seems paused at the moment.  Better than nothing so I'll take it.  Thanks again Admin.

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Or maybe it takes 11 days for

Or maybe it takes 11 days for one glove love.  Success!

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16201
When I click on the comments

When I click on the comments link, it just takes me to the top of the page and does not take me to the latest comment that I last read and the next one. Major pain to have to scroll down and find the relevant post. Also, sometimes it doesn't register that I have actually read posts and doesn't update. e.g. clicked main page that said 3 comments. Took me to the top of the page not the relevant post and also there were no new three posts there anyway, just the 3 I had already read minutes earlier.

Similar for forums

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Nick Elway
Nick Elway's picture
Hat Tips: 4562
Maybe when we get past

Time stamp on Turd's post is April 4, 2013 1:22 PM (although I swear it used to say 3:22 PM) http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/podcast/4619/turd-talks-metals

I'm not sure when he put it up, but I'm pretty sure it was April 3.  Perhaps that is why the DPH post

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/290793#comment-290793

is always the newest comment and is time stamped at April 4, 2013 - 5:02pm.

I hope that when we get past 5:02 PM  on April 4 I will no longer have to always see DPH's post as the newest.  

Time has been on my mind lateley, I just looked at the software bugs and features I've worked on in the last month.  UTC time,  properly detecting and coping with daylight savings,  properly displaying local time when the server is not in my time zone. 

Magpie
Magpie's picture
Hat Tips: 11458
Logged in but can't post comment

On iPhone now, but get a "not authorized" message when using my computer. Also, the link for the new thread doesn't show up. Ongoing hiccup....click fo a hat tip & the page jumps & the page numbers atthe bottomof the page mis-align.

ancaro imparo.

admin
admin's picture
Magpie, this should be in

Magpie, this should be in order now.  Please check my message here (http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/291295#comment-291295) and let me know if you're continuing to have any issues.  Thanks.

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3271
Site Refresh Issues

Cache cleared, cookies dumped, refreshing still causes change in page view

Also, hat-tipping causes page to reload in a different place and a change in page view; sometimes reloading fixes, sometimes not. Usually by the time I get to the bottom of the page and go on to the next it's OK again till I hat tip

Really appreciate all the work you folks are doing to improve Turdvilleyesheart

Learn to behave

admin
admin's picture
question, could you explain a

question, could you explain a bit more detail what you mean by "refreshing still causes change in page view"?  Do you mean that parts of the page are in different places for you?  If so, can you give us a little more information on exactly what you see?

As for the hat tipping causes page to reload, what browser are you using?  And what version of that browser?  You can usually find that by accessing the "About" menu at the top.

Also have you always had this problem, or is it something more recent for you?  Do you know if you have JavaScript enabled on your browser?

Thanks.

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3271
Site Issues

I was using Firefox 20.0.1, have been using firefox for a few years. The page, when refreshed, would narrow and be elongated. Sometimes another reload would fix, sometimes not. The hattip would cause the page to jump, sometimes two or three posts, sometimes back to the top. Things just seemed to be erratic.

No, this is a fairly recent problem, about a month or so. Seems to have started with the site issues a while back and when new changes were tried/made. Java script is enabled.

Yesterday I switched to GoogleChrome and the site seems to be working quite well. I'll try that for a while and see how it goes; feel "safer" with firefox (maybe incorrectly, who knows these days) but google is everywhere anyway.

Don't envy you your jobs; I was an electronic tech in my past life and debugging complicated circuits and systems is quite a challengewink Turd's lucky to have you. (and so are we)

Learn to behave

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "My Avatar has disappeared"