Expat

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Harald
Harald's picture
Hat Tips: 1738
Expat

There has been some talk of moving out of the United States, a daunting task to say the least.  I hate to move in country and moving to Chile would be the move of all time for me. There are a million things of course that we've never thought of, and I don't think anyone should try this on their own.  I'm a member of Simon Black's Sovereign Man and am satisfied with their service so far...I think they have the assets to get the job done.  They also have good information on offshore banking, investing, etc.,  Not an endorsement, they're just the one I would chose to do a move.  You do know, you would still have to pay U.S. taxes if you lived in another country, plus the taxes in Chile.  Hopefully, the cheaper cost of living and not having to pay state taxes and property taxes would offset Good old United States is the only country that taxes its citizens no matter where they live.  Tina Turner knew what she was doing renouncing her citizenship.  Anyway, I've posted a couple of links regarding Sovereign Man's community south of Santiago for starters.  Looks expensive, sounds expensive but their second community in the planning stages looks to be in my price range.  

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sov-man/Resilient-Community-Update2.pdf?inf_contact_key=b6161a9cdd2bddf95509796a292e4d1350c07129881e8cd59314f0f16c1334ad

http://www.sovereignman.com/SMCFILES/Chile_ResilientCommunity_Update1.pdf?inf_contact_key=04fa6a46c1ddbb648b73deff5176659e1b983bd7cfc6d2abaa421f9c24632bec

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27
Mr. Fix
Mr. Fix's picture
Hat Tips: 55916
Good morning Harold, great idea.

This is a topic that I am considering very seriously, and am currently in the process of getting all my ducks in a row.

Although I need to go to attend to some business at the moment, if I have information that is relevant to this topic, I will contribute here. Sovereign man is an excellent resource, and I have already learned more from that site than I could find on Google, although I do not think I will be participating in a “planned community” at this point,

it's not just that it seems to be “pricey”, I simply object to living under other people's plans for me. 

I am currently looking at real estate in exactly the same  geographical area, it does look like a good pick from where I sit.

Thank you for the links, I will read them with great interest, and get back to you. smiley

"When the student is ready,
the teacher will appear."

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16201
This may ( or may not) be

This may ( or may not) be helpful.

http://www.expatforum.com/

Can't vouch for this lot but had it on bookmark for a couple of years.

http://tdvpassports.com/

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Harald
Harald's picture
Right Mr Fix

I think it would be the area to look.  2 hours from Santiago, seems to have the best weather.  Going down for a look around in the fall which would be spring down there.  First time to Chile but Simon Black lists it the best country in the Americas to move to.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16201
Chile

Chile expats

http://galtsgulchchile.com/

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Mr. Fix
Mr. Fix's picture
Hat Tips: 55916
@ Hammer RE, galtsgulchchile.com

I filled out all of the information requested on that webpage over a week ago, and they have not yet responded.

Also, I don't have any other information on them.

Simon Black appears to be more responsible to those interested in relocating.

At least he has far more resources to draw from for anyone who is looking into relocating in this particular part of the world. 

"When the student is ready,
the teacher will appear."

delacroix
delacroix's picture
Hat Tips: 517
I just got back from

I just got back from nicaragua. backpacking and hostels. very inexpensive, good food, and the people are generally friendly and happy. it's the second safest country in latin america after uruguay. san juan del sur, and ometepe island, are two places I could see myself relocating to. they grow a lot of food there, and have an unobtrusive government. plenty of business opportunities there.

Mariposa de Oro
Mariposa de Oro's picture
Hat Tips: 1514
Micronesia

I've been in the Republic of the Marshall Islands for almost six years.  It is not my first choice.  However, the Federated States of Micronesia is.   I really like Phonpei and Koserai.    Both islands are tropical and lush.  Food grows everywhere, with a several hundred inches of rain a year.  There are some Americans but not very many.  It's definitely third world but that doesn't bother me.  I've been poor my whole life and at one point lived in a car for a couple of months and then a camper.  I've also survived five years of the Army, so I think I can handle a quiet third world country.  I've got an education and some skills and am not addicted to saku, betel nut, or other substance.   From what I understand, I wouldn't have much trouble finding some kind of employment.   Immigration for Americans is a breeze as these countries here used to be US possessions after WWII.  You can just show up.  Look into the Compact of Free Association.......

Sliver
Sliver's picture
Hat Tips: 177
Dominican Republic

I've looked into many areas globally, and one of the most interesting to me is the Dominican Republic. I've had some contact with Barry Solomon, who's been assisting North American expats setting up in DR for years. Lately, he's expanded his activity and has begun working with Jeff Berwick (Dollar Vigilante). This is Barry's site. He was interviewed by Kerry Lutz some months ago.

I have been considering DR as a backup location, because I'm already an expat living in Ukraine and like it here. I just don't know how a collapse would play out and the climate of DR is appealing to me. Barry makes it sound like a virtual paradise.

Plan B
Plan B's picture
Hat Tips: 46
Any idea who is behind Galt's

Any idea who is behind Galt's Gulch Chile?

Harald
Harald's picture
Good question

I sent for information about a week ago, no email answer yet.  Been checking the snail mail, nothing yet.  Maybe their theory is, as J.P. Morgan is reputed to have said:  "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Plan B
Plan B's picture
Harald wrote:You do know, you

Harald wrote:
You do know, you would still have to pay U.S. taxes if you lived in another country, plus the taxes in Chile.

As soon as I left the USA (again), I stopped paying myself royalties from our company and replaced it with foreign earned income, in my case considerably less than $95,000. Felt like a moral obligation to reduce to a minimum my support for Washington DC's criminal activities around the world.

Plan B
Plan B's picture
Galts Gulch Chile ... hmmm.

Activist Post 5 Best Countries to Relocate To reveals that:

Two of the most renowned "escape artists", the Sovereign Man Simon Black and the Dollar Vigilante Jeff Berwick, both agree that Chile is the best country to escape to. Each is developing vast expat communities in Chile (SovereignValley.com and GaltsGulchChile.com ).

Oh, dear frown

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Expat"