Bugout?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
Hat Tips: 10486
Bugout?

You will find this to be an deeply interesting story of uncommon strength.  http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

Edited by Dyna mo hum on 01/30/2013 - 18:14
ltcolkilgore
ltcolkilgore's picture
Hat Tips: 1609
Unfortunately...

No room in my BOB for a spinning wheel or loom... incredible story of minimalist survival. Thanks for sharing.

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust...
Psalm 144

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
ltcolkilgore

That's the kind of article well worth spreading. I was nearly at the end of the internet when I found that piece.

Jager06
Jager06's picture
Hat Tips: 960
Nice

And think of the differences in what American preppers are stockpiling, vs. what this family walked into the wilderness with. Amazing.

Loud Noises
Loud Noises's picture
Hat Tips: 1475
Wow

That's all I have to say.

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11798
This story reminds me of Ishi

Ishi, the last Yahi... he was the last surviving man from a once large tribe of Native Americans in area of Northern California.  His family and tribe were killed by US military troops and white settlers and died out by the early 1900's.

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/ishi_the_last_yahi

There are times when you really wonder about the level of sophistication in industrialized nations.

When I compare the quality of life of some natives in 1813 to now, is there really any question about who was freer?

ltcolkilgore
ltcolkilgore's picture
Hat Tips: 1609
The modern world...

I have to believe that life will be better after the reset, I just hope for minimal turbulence and a survivable landing. The past lifestyle of the Native Americans or the family in this story may seem wonderful and free (it does to me any ways) but of course there was a cost as well. Humans have a hard time differentiating between needs and wants and our modern society has perverted and distorted this line complicating the matter and so we end up where we are at today. I am just as guilty as anyone else, we have all played our parts. There is a cost and a reward to every lifestyle and hopefully we can find some balance again but it is going to take something big like a societal collapse to wake enough people up to even get this moving in the right direction. Our job now is to prepare for, and in hopes of, a better future for our children as it seems almost assured that my/our generation will be the ones that have to make the down payment on it, perhaps in a way that may not be too pleasant. At least that's the way I'm seeing this play out right now...

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust...
Psalm 144

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
Well Well Ok who did it?

Looks like Alex Jones might have harvested this story from turdville. If not its sure a genuine coincidence.  The timing is at least suspect.   http://www.infowars.com/taking-their-possessions-and-some-seeds-they-had-retreated-ever-deeper-into-the-forest/

marakai
marakai's picture
Real Life is cruel.

I think some people idealise such a lifestyle as if it is some sort of utopian existence free from the boundary's of society and setting ones own agenda. It is not, just the basics everyone takes for granted will bring most undone if they rely upon their own so called preps for any extended time. Just everyday basic things, flushing toilets, toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, soap, antiseptics, uncontaminated drinking water, painkillers, sugar, salt, heating, cooling, fuel for cooking, storage of perishable food, just regular cleanliness even. 

Surely most people have run out of toilet paper, yeah, so you use some paper toweling or whatever until you can go get some more... but what if you cant...anymore? So you use some leaves or wash of in a creek ? Where do you get your water from and who is upstream? Yeah sure boil your water before you drink it, wash in it, cook with it etc but where do you get the fuel from to do that ?

Just for a minute think about a city of a million people without a few simple everyday things like sewage, toilet paper, water, fuel, just a few months after society stops being what it is now.

Prepping is a whole lot more than a few tubs of rice and some tins of spam, and bugging out is a whole other order of magnitude if your current skill set consist's of life as most currently know it now.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Bugout?"