.22 AMMO none to be had here!

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
Hat Tips: 16642
.22 AMMO none to be had here!

I ran into an old acquaintance today at walmart and he said that he was looking for .22 cal rimfire and could not find one box to be had in the whole county 0 none. He told me he never dreamed of seeing any thing like the situation we have found ourselves in. As we parted I told him he might need to consider laying in a little extra food just in case. He looked startled and asked why. With that I told him that panic buying could become a fad with food also at some point.  Sheep like him are destined to learn the hard way. He was driving a $40,000 pickup and he can't buy a box of .22s. Last thing I said to him was "dammit boy"!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:05
Grigeo
Grigeo's picture
Hat Tips: 1575
None to be had

Amazing isn't it.   And only a slight exaggeration.  If you want to pay $20 + for a box of 50 of Olympic quality Lapua 22 ammo, some can still be had if you look hard enough.   Of course, you better have a really good 22 if you are running that stuff through it, otherwise it is just a complete waste. 

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Hat Tips: 4248
Agreed

Started looking online to add and you guys are absolutely on the mark. Only the expensive stuff available. I have 2000 rounds on backorder (supposed to arrive at the end of January) in which I ordered in the beginning of December.

The best I could find was some Winchester Wildcats for about $0.05 a piece at the Sportsman's Guide. Also on backorder, expected arrival is Feb 4th.  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=12176

Other than that these are all gobbled up.

I bought a reloading system for 9mm, 380, and 45 acp with plenty of powder, cases, bullets, and primers. But as you know 22's really are not "reloadable".

Anyway, maybe a gun show?

Ba-zinga!

achmachat
achmachat's picture
Hat Tips: 9472

impressive how that super tiny 0.22 ammunition usually has around 140 foot pound of energy at the muzzle... that's 190 Joules!

the kind of high-power air rifles (need a permit for those) you use for rabbit hunting has a maximum of around 20 Joules of power.

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
Hat Tips: 16642
Update .22

I spent 3 hours today canvassing the local potential outlets for more .22 rimfire. None to be had at all. Simply amazing!

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
Update on 22's

Around these parts you can still find them, although not for the price you could have 6 weeks ago, nor the same amount you could expect.......the same holds true for 22WMR rounds.

Fortunate for me , last year I started splitting up my PM purchasing between Silver and lead..........As things stand now , my lead has outperformed my Silver.

Today I went through WV and Ohio as well as KY in a circle.........things are very sparse in the ammo and gun world, but like it always is.....if you got the fiat and are willing to part with it, it can be had...............My lead is not for sale, my PM's are not for sale....I think this thing will blow over in a month or two on the Ammo side and prices will adjust.

Check Gunbroker.com, if you need this ammo now.

Nana
Nana's picture
Hat Tips: 13219
Another Tax

Been hearing from a couple sources that bullets are are the table for a HUGE tax increase under the community agitators gungrabguidelines...........

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
$0.07

Found a bunch of CCI for about $0.07 per round. Still too much for me. I'll wait for $0.04 per round. Shot 300 rounds this weekend. Wife loved the gun, other family members really enjoyed it as well. Just fun to shoot.

My issue now, should I buy another Ruger MK3 witha  thread barrel or buy a Bersa 380?

Ba-zinga!

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Del-ton AR15

buddy has a Delton Ar15, paid about $725 and $500 of attachments on it. he was on the range last week and was offered $2500 cash, as is. Why he didn't take it, I'm not sure but that's a fairly nice return.

Ba-zinga!

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Big Buffalo wrote: buddy has

Big Buffalo wrote:

buddy has a Delton Ar15, paid about $725 and $500 of attachments on it. he was on the range last week and was offered $2500 cash, as is. Why he didn't take it, I'm not sure but that's a fairly nice return.

I had a dealer ask me to sell back one of my AR's, my PMR-30 and one of my SR1911's........all being never fired and still in the box..........I was offered double to triple the purchase price, I had to refuse, though I could have turned that fiat into a nice stash of PM's.........I just like my guns, and did not buy them to sell....with that, he said , "I guess there is no reason to mention those cans of ammo"......We both just laughed until I told him to show me some Gold......his eyes then glazed over and here came the deer in the headlight moment.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 27994
Wow

Glad I am sitting on 10,000 rounds of .22.  I will wait for this to blow over to buy more.

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
22lr shipment

finally receiving my order of 22lr ammo. ordered in mid-dec, should receive them today or tomorrow.

wonder if I could sell some for a profit?

10K rounds: nice stack!

Ba-zinga!

tonym9
tonym9's picture
Hat Tips: 1541
just scored a nice stack of

just scored a nice stack of .22 myself. it's hard to find right now. local Houston stores are all out. you have to get there with the trucks.

i put an ad up in craigslist to sell some of it. not sure how long it will stay up before getting flagged.

doing a search on gunbroker and other places shows that it is selling for 3 times what it was a 6 weeks ago. I bought 2 597 Remingtons, one for my son and one for me, and I bought 2 of the remington trash ammo 'bucket o bullets' goldens before Christmas. Comes 1400 bullets to the bucket. I paid $65 each bucket. Those same buckets are selling for $150+ on gunbroker right now.

I was also lucky enough to find 30 round magazines for the 597. I bought 4 of them. They are clear plastic bananna clips. I hate plastic.

JFTR if you are in need of a .22 rifle, take a hard look at the 597. Comes with scope and I paid 197 brand new. Pretty close right out of the box. Works great. Son loves it. 10/22 is the standard, but this 597 is right there with it.

"No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Levitation will levitate until levitation doesn't levitate. Rates be the key matey.

Homesteader
Homesteader's picture
Hat Tips: 166
Big Buffalo wrote: I bought a

Big Buffalo wrote:

I bought a reloading system for 9mm, 380, and 45 acp with plenty of powder, cases, bullets, and primers. But as you know 22's really are not "reloadable".

Yep.  For years and years, 5k/rd cases of .22 were 100-110 bucks at my local ammo distributor.  ( about 0.02/rd ) Knowing .22 rds were an alternative currency in the 'great' depression, I stocked up on few dozen cases while they were dirt cheap.  Just seemed like the prudent thing to do. 

Same thing with powder, primers and bullets for other calibers.  All that stuff used to be fairly cheap  ( like 1k primers for 20 bucks ).....and clearly the day was coming when they would no longer be that way.

Just like the 4.75 silver rounds I used to buy.

Amazing how folks can't look ahead. 

OK....learn from this. 

WHAT is STILL fairly cheap, abundant, and nearly a necessity for life ?

First thing that comes to mind is food.

Chris Martensen says the IEA stats on oil are pretty much bullshit, ( and I agree ) and that in the next 15-20 years, world oil production is going from 85 million barrels/day to mid 40's.  A cut of about 1/2.  The next thing he points out is 10 calories of oil go into one current calorie of food on your plate.

SO, there's real good odds food is going to double ( in today's currency.....who knows what in 15 year down the road bucks ), or more.

The prudent fellow would be storing cheap, long term foods such as dried whole grains, beans, etc, as well as freeze dried foods, and, more important, be setting yourself up to produce as much food as you/family need to live.  And think in terms of YEARS, not months.

Get the ground.  Develop ground, adding whatever soil conditioners you need for that ground ( sand for clay soils, animal manure/leaves to build humus, add earth worms, whatever it takes ) to build it into a great garden spot.  Set up irrigation, learn to use drip tape, etc.  Tool up.....I have a 8hp diesel tiller, and enough 55gal drums of diesel set away to garden the rest of my life.  Build a small greenhouse.  Build a small, unheated hoop house.  Get into hydroponics, aquaponics, whatever floats your boat, as long as it produces the max amount of food with the least amount of energy input.

Otherwise, this little ammo problem is going to seem like nothing in comparison.

Homesteader out.

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Yo Homesteader

I thought I was getting a good deal buying 22lr at $0.04 each. Now that I know they were $0.02 each, i feel a bit ripped off! (haha)

I completely, 100%, agree with everything you wrote.

Ba-zinga!

Zoltan
Zoltan's picture
Hat Tips: 4775
Come To Canada

Was at Cabellas last week and they had full shelves of everything.  Maybe my American brothers will start to trek north  in order to fill their quotas.  Not sure on border crossing restrictions but we used to go south to save money on ammo.

Those days appear to be gone.

Z

Loud Noises
Loud Noises's picture
Hat Tips: 1475
To be honest

When I think about the fact that a round of 22 is still just 4 or 5 cents, its amazing to me.  A complete package, projectile, powder, casing and all for 4 cents.  I can easily see the day when 22 ammo will be 50 cents/round and other calibers will all be dollars per round.  A balanced, lifetime supply of these items and all those that Homesteader mentioned could just become wealth beyond numbers in the future.

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Ammo Report

In NE KY, Ammo has now started to appear again.........yea it cost more, and you are limited to amount you can purchase, but at least it is starting to appear again.

IMO in the next six months things will be back to normal in the stock, but the price will be increased along the lines of 10+%..........when this thing returns to somewhat normal, watch those that are caught with the 2500 Dolla AR's that MSRP'd for 700 Dolla's, start the crying game.

People should have stopped and thought out these purchases.........The hill never had even the slightest hint of having the votes to complete the gun attack.........16 Dolla mags , going for 7x's value, 223 ammo going from 35-40 cents per round to 1 Dolla+ per...........it's akin to the run in silver only to be popped with time......the difference in the two, CONGRESS capable of doing anything and admitting as much from day 1 of this mess........Scary thought, and people still bought into it.

Ojibwemowin
Ojibwemowin's picture
Hat Tips: 774
22 LR

I was in the local hardware shop yesterday and noticed some old boxes of Remington .22 LR on the shelf selling for pre-shortage prices. I am stocked with over 5000 rounds here so left them for next lucky person who sees them. 

You can bet that if and when this current shortage is resolved, I will be buying 500 rounds of both solids and HP per trip to Fleet Farm. I also always keep a good amount of Aquila Super Colibri stocked on hand for discrete  backyard shooting. 

Don't overlook the .22 for most situations when you actually really need a gun. My grandfather shot more than a few whitetail deer during the great depression with his .22 bolt with solid bullets through the center of the neck with the deer facing him or through the ear canal for side shots. Both shots drop them on the spot. 

A friend of mine from a reservation/reserve in Ontario Canada grew up on the trap line and they survived entire winters traveling a 115 mile loop on snowshoes, from small log cabin to small log cabin with a bolt action. 22 LR and solid bullets. He and his father shot everything from small game to moose by getting broadside to one at close range and shooting it through the lungs with a single well placed shot. They then left it alone without it knowing it had even been dealt a mortal wound until the next day when then always found it close by dead in its bed after its lungs filled with blood.  

As boys they were encouraged to shot their .22s as often as possible at anything that could be used for food, including Loons migrating back in the spring and small birds like robins and sparrows, which they would bring to their mothers to be prepared for eating. He said they really were not that good for eating, but they were taught to not waste anything. Furthermore he told me that if you harvest animals killed for food or other use, with reverence, you will always be a successful hunter because the animals will continue to present themselves to you. 

achmachat
achmachat's picture
Hat Tips: 9472
Ojibwemowin

I really like the last part of your post.

Our "civilized" society has totally lost touch with the circle of life and nature. How much more would people appreciate their steak if they really knew its place in the food circle and where it comes from. How much more if they had to actually "provide" it themselves.

I can promise you that we wouldn't be a society plagued with morbid obesity anymore!

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Buy/Sell

Sold 3 boxes of Federal 22lr for $42 (525 rounds) on Satiurday and just bought 2 boxes of Remington HP 22lr at Dick's for $22.

Federal's were originally bought at $21.25 per box. Not bad.

Now, if Dick's could just hang on until tomorrow and still have a couple boxes, I'll be able to pick up some in the morning. They had a 2 box limit.

Cabela's currently has some available and are $50 for a box of 500, however you do get a free plastic ammo box. $0.042 per round beats $.10 per round any day.

Ba-zinga!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for ".22 AMMO none to be had here!"