Ruger 22LR MKiii Pistol

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Hat Tips: 4248
Ruger 22LR MKiii Pistol

So my Sig 9mm and Kimber 45 have had no problems with expensive and very cheap ammo. neither have had any problems with home re-loaded ammo either. So I 'm extremely happy.

I just ordered a Ruger MKiii 22lr pistol and by doing my research, I've come to realize 22lr ammo, in general, have higher degree of FTF and/or FTE. Lots of mixed reviews out there. It's such a small round, I can under the specs and tolerances are much hard to maintain.

Anyway, anybody out have advice or a recommended 22 lr brand?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:05

Ba-zinga!

Biscuit
Biscuit's picture
Hat Tips: 294
22LR

Congratulations on the MK-III!  I bet you'll love it.  My MK-I and MK-II are favorites.

IMHO most FTF and FTE problems have to do with firearms that aren't kept clean.  I'd guess that other concerns would be storage issues like wide temperature swings or moisture.  So, FTF and FTE problems are pretty unusual for me.  That said, I'm not overly concerned about them either.  It is highly unlikely that we'll be using a 22 in a hazardous social situation.

Some folks like to just blast away, putting a bunch of tiny holes in targets.  That can be fun.  I enjoy trying to make tiny groups of little holes in targets (which leads up to putting one hole exactly where I want it in a little critter).  It seems that each 22 firearm will group differently with each type of ammo used.  Groups will be different sizes and to a different point of aim.  So, once I find something that a particular rifle/handgun likes, I'll set that ammo aside for that particular firearm.

That practice has led me to usually buy at least a couple of bricks (with the same lot number) when I buy 22 ammo.  That way I don't have to go through the trials of re-zeroing for a thousand rounds or so.  And, I'll have a variety of ammo to try when I add another 22 to the collection.

My Mk-II happened to shoot the old, cheap, now discontinued Federal Lightnings very well.  Lightnings replacement, Champions, didn't perform so well.  And, my Lightning stock ran low.  For now, I've settled in on Wolf Match Target ammo for the Mk-II.  I get nice little groups.  Both the Lightnings and the Wolf Match use a plain lead round nose bullet.  Definitely not high performance ammo...except in the accuracy department.  And, that's what I want.  Squirrel heads are little.

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Thanks Biscuit

Bought the Ruger for fun and to save money. Firing off the 45 can get very expensive, very quickly. However it is very fun.

It appears the Wolf Match has the best ratings out there as far as 22 ammo is considered and they cost about $0.09 - $0.11 per round. And since this is just for plinking and playing around on the range I think I'll go with the 2nd best rated stuff I found. Cabela's has been having some nice sales lately on ammo with free shipping (which is really nice for heavy ammo).

Placed an order for the following. Both end up being $0.04 per round with a free dry-storage box.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=909664&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=7dc514bdac10845978837b2b98aedb08&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

and

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=735145&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=7dc680a1ac10845978837b2b4a1592cd&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

Also, I thought it might be fun to add a scope. Been trying to do research and didn't want to spend $200 plus on a scope for a 22 pistol. Amazon has a bunch of stuff for $25-$45 but the reviews are like 160 5 stars and 50 1 stars. Don't really know what to trust.

Have you place any on your rugers? Or have you found it more fun without?

Ba-zinga!

Admiral Ag Bar
Admiral Ag Bar's picture
Hat Tips: 1722
sold my MK III

I had the 22/45 MK III.  I sold it because of the insane number of FTF problems (using cheap ammo) I was having and the horrific design for breaking it down and cleaning it.  After breaking it all the way down to thoroughly clean it, I had to call customer service to put the pistol back together and I was laughing at some of the recommendations by the tech support staff (bang on ground, hold upside down at 45 degree angle, etc...).  Bizarre design - needs significant improvement before I would buy another.

However, a friend has a Mk III (using CCI ammo) and absolutely loves it.  YMMV. 

Granted, I like simplicity and I can't stand a finicky gun.  Including 22lr.  I am considering a 22lr revolver.  I got spoiled on the Glock platform for most of my arsenal.  That's about how complicated I like things to be.  I have considered the Glock 22 conversion kit, but I think a 22 revolver would be the best for me.

cool

Biscuit
Biscuit's picture
Ruger optics

With the exception of walnut grips, I've kept my MK-I just like it came.  Back in that era Ruger actually had some nice triggers.  And the MK-I's trigger, good to start with, continued to improve.  It's a blue 5.5" bull barrel.

The MK-II is a stainless 5.5" bull barrel model.  Its trigger needed a little help.  While my 'smith was lightening the trigger and installing an over-travel stop, I had him install a Weaver rail on top.  When I went to get the pistol the only stainless-looking pistol scope he had in stock was a Tasco.  2X, I think.  It was reasonably priced, so I bought it and rings to try out.  That set-up looked really nice, but I could never get comfortable with the eye relief on that scope...just had a terrible time trying to find my target looking through it.  So, the Tasco scope got traded off.

Today the MK-II is wearing a Bushnell Holosight.  1X lets me find my target quickly with both eyes open. A 1 MOA dot gives me adequate precision.  And, I added Volquartsen Volthane target grips.  I like that combo.  I had to have a buddy make a holster for it.  But today you can find holsters for the Ruger pistols that accommodate optics.  The MK-II is one of my most fun pistols.

BTW, I normally figure that when I buy a firearm I will double the purchase price by the time I've outfitted it with accessories like spare magazines, gun leather, optics, etc.  Some are less.  This one was more.

And, I'm shooting the 22s more, too.  Feeding the 1911s and the 7.62 rifles has become expensive.

Loud Noises
Loud Noises's picture
Hat Tips: 1475
I enjoy my mk3 very much, as

I enjoy my mk3 very much, as does my wallet each time I go the range.  I have no problem with the Federal bulk packs carried at Walmart.  Its also affordable to stack deep.  You can fit something like 4000 rounds in a single ammo can and just put it away.  Its not too hard for me to picture MUCH higher ammo prices in the future.  Centerfire calibers are harder to stack (space and $$) but rimfire is doable for anyone.

A step up in ammo quality would be the Federal Automatch, which is still fairly cheap.

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Just a little sad.

I received my ammo, but haven't received my Ruger yet. It should be by mid-week. Can't wait to go shooting.

Ammo: My total order was for 4200 rounds at $165.00 plus two free dry storage containers. Can't beat that. Last time two times at the range I took the 9mm and the 45acp. Total cost in ammo alone was $180 spent in 2 sessions. Crazy.

Finally, to help defray the cost of shooting, I've ordered a reloading kit. By my calculations, I should be able to save about 50% (or should I say, spend 50% less) during my range time. Should have a couple buddies willing to buy the re-loads at 70% of cost too, which would defray my costs even more. Anything helps when you have expensive habits.

If anyone is interested, Cabela's is running a great deal on Hornady Reloading kit. It's on sale, plus you get ~$150 in bullets as a redemption from Hornady. and free shipping. It's a hard deal to beat.

Ba-zinga!

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
Update:

Picked up my Ruger today and it feels great. Solid and heavy. Can't wait to go shoot it tomorrow. But first, the cleaning...I hear it's a b*tch to clean.

Anyway, I just tried out a 22lr ammo loader and it's worth it's weight in silver. If you have a 22 pistol, this may be for you.

http://www.amazon.com/McFadden-Machine-Ultimate-Clip-Loader/dp/B004YF931Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356044798&sr=8-2&keywords=22lr+speed+loader

Ba-zinga!

Biscuit
Biscuit's picture
Clip loader?

I have an assortment of LULA loaders for center-fire ammo magazines and think that they're worth their cost.

Somehow, I just don't think I can buy a device called a "clip loader".  The nomenclature simply offends my sensibilities (though not quite as much as congress critters calling my 10/22 with an extended magazine an "assault rifle").

I also have stripper clips that I'll occasionally use to load magazines, but I've never seen a device to load my clips.

Enjoy that dandy little pistol, Big Buff!

Sillypicker
Sillypicker's picture
Hat Tips: 82
Hot ammo has problems in

Hot ammo has problems in them.   Stay away from the hot stuff and the cheap stuff.   Really really accurate.

Yeah the reloader is awesome.    DO NOT TAKE IT APART.   Just clean the barrel it is all you will ever have to do.

I just messed with the handle - pulled the thing out just a bit - and then the whole thing had to be taken apart by a friend of mine and put back together.   Ridiculous design I grant you but it really never needs to be taken apart.  Just clean the barrel and whatever else you can get at.

Big Buffalo
Big Buffalo's picture
cleaning

One things for sure is that full field strip is a pain. I usually do so only after 500-600 rounds, however clean the barrel and around the firing pin after each use. I really do enjoy the gun as does everyone that fires it. Since this post, at which time I had four firearms, I've added (was gifted) another 9 firearms. I would appear I have more than plenty. Anyway, fun hobby to have.

Ba-zinga!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Ruger 22LR MKiii Pistol"