Recommended Gold/silver ratio on a portfolio

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
pidgin
pidgin's picture
Hat Tips: 2
Recommended Gold/silver ratio on a portfolio

Hi

Not sure if this is the right subtopic but here it goes. Right now I have been holding only physical gold for about 3 years. I have been storing it at my parents' and myself live in a rental with friends. My parents are going to separate so I want to move my gold.

I was thinking about selling my physical gold when we would reach a new high (euro terms), then use the money to buy back gold at (hopefully) lower price that would cover premium at goldmoney.com and have them store it for me. I could also store it at my bank ofcourse but I am a little skeptical about that.

Now as I currently have only gold I was thinking I should mix things up with silver aswell.

What do you guys think I should do storage-wise and ratio wise?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:30
Motley Fool
Motley Fool's picture
Hat Tips: 2231
Any gold an institution or

Any gold an institution or bank holds for you becomes a promise to return gold to you should things go south. Would you trust such a promise?

Gold all the way for me.

- my 2 cents.

TJeffson
TJeffson's picture
Hat Tips: 1694
Storage

If you don't hold it, you don't own it.  I wouldn't trust any institution to hold you gold.  I'd look for some other place to store it.  If it was me, it wouldn't sell it either.  

achmachat
achmachat's picture
Hat Tips: 9472
my two cents

hello there!

here's my humble opinion:

1) you really want to avoid counter party risk. Don't take the saying "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" too lightly.

2) do not sell. don't try chasing tops and bottoms.

3) here's where motley fool and myself have very different views:

i have roughly 10.000 times more silver than gold. This ratio WILL change as the gold/silver ratio will go towards 20.

Mr. Fix
Mr. Fix's picture
Hat Tips: 55916
My personal gold and silver ratio.

I may be the only one here who for a variety of reasons tends to keep the mix at about 50/50. (Current dollar price.)
For me, it has a lot to do with preservation of wealth.

All of my savings are in gold and silver. I only by American gold and silver eagles.

Being able to turn them back into Fiat at a moments notice is an issue for me. As time goes by, I may see good reason to change that ratio,

Currently, I would agree that silver is a better buy right now.

However, my next purchase will be gold eagles simply because I have an overabundance of silver at the moment.

When the shit finally hits the fan, it's a crapshoot as to what will be worth what.

Therefore, I want to have as many options available as possible.

Long-term, I know both will be worth considerably more than they are now.

Keep stacking folks.

"When the student is ready,
the teacher will appear."

old tradesman
old tradesman's picture
Hat Tips: 2525
all silver

but i buried the map! oldtimerz sucks!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Recommended Gold/silver ratio on a portfolio"