SoCal Turdites

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bongo Jim
Bongo Jim's picture
Hat Tips: 2107
SoCal Turdites

A place for SoCal Turdites to gather...or not. What is considered to be "SoCal?" I'd say anything south of Bakersfield. Feel differently? Let's hear it.

I'm in Fallbrook.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27
Caradoc
Caradoc's picture
Hat Tips: 139
At least two of us...

Checking in from a few miles north of you.

Boswell
Boswell's picture
Hat Tips: 2921
San Fernando Valley

is close enough.

Lady Gaugau
Lady Gaugau's picture
Hat Tips: 669
Orange County

Orange County

Lady GauGau

Mariposa de Oro
Mariposa de Oro's picture
Hat Tips: 1514
Valley Girl :o)

Hey Boswell,

I grew up in Canoga Park, now West Hills part.  Graduated in 1980 from El Camino Real.  Now residing in the Marshall Islands, Kwajalein Atoll.  My family left the valley about ten years ago.  It had gone down hill.  Are you familiar with the Valley Relics website?  Very cool....

benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1009
another check here

socal born and raised, i am still here today and this is where i plan to take my stand. i can be surfing @ scripps in less than 10 minutes. great to see the socal crew rolling out.  

no better time than now

Caradoc
Caradoc's picture
@Mariposa:

You moved from SoCal to Kwaj? I'm guessing some connection with the Army's launch site?

Bongo Jim
Bongo Jim's picture
Dig in or bug out in SoCal?

Do you plan on digging in or bugging out from SoCal? Bugging out from SoCal entirely, or bugging out to a rural SoCal area? What are your thoughts on staying alive with 20 million hungry people in this limited area.

Mariposa de Oro
Kwaj

Yes indeed.  I'm an electronics technician in the telemetry ground station.  I really enjoy my job.   Island life is wonderful.  :o)

Mariposa de Oro
To Bongo Jim

I wouldn't want to be there in good times, muchless bad.  My family is in Orange county.  I wish they would leave.  Have  cousins in Aqua Dulce, too.   Nobody takes me seriously when I try to tell them about the collapse.   Ah well.....

Mariposa de Oro
Orange County

My parents are in Laguna Woods, sisters in Norco and Santa Margarita.  Nice areas all but I prefer the island life.  I don't even need a car.  Everyone here rides bikes.  Its quite small but a nice little community.  We don't have much in the way of luxuries, high speed internet, restaurants, cell phones, etc., but we have each other.  I love it!

Caradoc
Caradoc's picture
Dig in or bug out?

Retired in 2006 with daughter and grandchildren in the area so went with bug out location in Big Bear. It's a small cabin across the street from the lake at 7000' elevation.  Mountain spring water is piped in from 900 feet higher.  Lake has trout and other protein sources.  Don't care for bass but I love crawfish. Video from diagonally across the street:

What was a rustic fishing cabin is now upgraded to maple cabinets, granite surfaces, Anderson windows, etc.  Almost ready to relax and enjoy when -- within the last month --  son-in-law had a career change that took him, my daughter and grandchildren to the east coast.  With states like Tennessee and Alabama not calling for income tax on pensions and having lower sales tax and real eatate taxes than Florida, I'm starting to wonder about paying California for the privilege of being on the wrong side of the country for seeing grandchildren.  If we were to put it on the market, I'd still have to finish ripping out the old galvanized plumbing and replacing with copper, but I suspect my final planned upgrade wouldn't be cost effective:

http://www.zoom-room.com/how-it-works/

PS for Mariposa:  with your climate, some cuttings of tree collards would give year-round supply of green leafy vegetable.

Bongo Jim
Bongo Jim's picture
@M de O

Yeah, it's nothing like it was 40 years ago, but getting out is easier said than done for me.

Bongo Jim
Bongo Jim's picture
@Caradoc

Parents used to have a cabin near Boulder Bay, and my sister lives at the far end of Baldwin "Lake." Big Bear is nice, but I'm not into snowy winters.

Mariposa de Oro
Understood Bongo Jim

My family all plan on staying put, even my daughter.  Mostly they think I'm nuts though I know they see what's happening.  I've spent a good portion of my adult life overseas so I'm okay with keeping it that way.  Of course, I wish it wasn't coming to that but I know that America isn't the only country in the world and other places are quite liveable.  I rather like this part of the world.

Mariposa de Oro
Caradoc

I'll have to look into the tree collards. No idea what that is. I have a nice couple of gardening spots here and am growing eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, bok choi, new zealand spinach, amaranthe, cotton, tabacco, cooking herbs, etc. Also have some papayas in containers, figs, passion fruits and even some birdhouse gourds!
If you decide to move, good luck on selling the house. I have a nice place in Florida I'm trying to sell. Its near the Kennedy Space Center and 45 minutes from Disney. The place really needs a nice little family to make it home....

Caradoc
Caradoc's picture
various

All:  It occurred to me that everybody here has a climate as good as Mariposa's for growing tree collards.  As a perennial like asparagus and rhubarb, it's an ongoing food source that doesn't have to be replanted each year.  Here's video showing advantage of perennial versus annual:

Bongo Jim:  Snow isn't my favorite thing either, but I'm thinking a lot of those 20 million people will do something other than drive uphill when they get hungry.  For what it's worth, the north shore has a southern exposure so snow melts a lot faster than on the opposite side.  (Reason why they put the ski slopes on that side, right?)

Mariposa:  Please shoot me a PM on your Florida property.

Best fortune to all whether bugging out or digging in.

Mariposa de Oro
I'll be visiting SoCal

Hey SoCal Turdites,

I'll be in Norco/Corona area the first part of March.  Anyone up for lunch?   One other Turdite and I are looking at Victoria Gardens.  PM me or post here.  devil

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "SoCal Turdites"