Water storage can?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shnozberries
Shnozberries's picture
Hat Tips: 587
Water storage can?

Awhile back I read about a water purification/storage tank but can't recall the brand name or find it online anymore.   It was something like a 10 gallon jug that you could pour the dirtiest water in to and it dispenses perfectly clean water almost immediately or could be used for storage.  There was a video on their website showing how it has changed the lives of certain african towns.  

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:05
Shnozberries
Shnozberries's picture
Hat Tips: 587
Edit:  I found it.  Jerry

Edit:  I found it.  Jerry Can.  Any opinions on the Jerry Can?

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
Hat Tips: 1084
water filtration

I've never used the Jerry Can. I have two Big Berkeys. Here's a link for the Jerry Can. Sounds interesting.

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-jerrycan

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
water requirements

Water requirements for human survival depends on ambient air temp and humidity.

The water storage itself is an issue and then one would need to filter after storing for an extended period of time.

Therefore, my technique will be to have two large water storage 55 gal drums.  Each drum can hold for water to be used for irrigation of a greenhouse.  In the event of an emergency, the water reservoir will be redirected to the Berkeys for filtration.

Recall that you also have a water heater.

In the event of a potential water and power loss situation, the water can be run to fill bath tubs also.

You can flush the toilet using the dirty water from the kitchen sinks (after dish cleaning).  Pour the dirty kitchen water from pails into the commode. 

BagOfGold
BagOfGold's picture
Hat Tips: 15486
Save your money...

& buy silver/gold & other preps instead!...

Homemade bio sand filter...

Here is larger capacity one...

& another one...

55 gallon barrel version...

Use SODIS in conjunction with filteration or SODIS on it's own if the water is fairly clear...

Bag Of Gold

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
@BagofGold

Have you actually used one of these field expedient filters? I have built and used the smaller one as an experiment and it does clear the particulates, but it is small and does not clear all of the protozoans and other pathogens out. Spending $300 on a Berkey and an extra set of filters is cheap insurance, and well worth the 10 oz of silver that one would forego. I would use the larger field expedient to eliminate turbidity and heavy particulates, then run it through the Berkey. Getting sick from bad water is a miserable experience, and could be life threatening. Why take chances in the name of false economy?

BagOfGold
BagOfGold's picture
Mike...

Mike7.62 wrote:

Have you actually used one of these field expedient filters? I have built and used the smaller one as an experiment and it does clear the particulates, but it is small and does not clear all of the protozoans and other pathogens out. Spending $300 on a Berkey and an extra set of filters is cheap insurance, and well worth the 10 oz of silver that one would forego. I would use the larger field expedient to eliminate turbidity and heavy particulates, then run it through the Berkey. Getting sick from bad water is a miserable experience, and could be life threatening. Why take chances in the name of false economy?

I have the 55 gallon barrel one...& it works great!...It is perfectly safe & used throughout the world!...Utilize the 55 gallon barrel or cement filtration systems...the pop bottle one was for visualization...to show how the filtering works!...However...use in conjunction with SODIS!!!...

Bag Of Gold

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
I have one of the LifeSaver

I have one of the LifeSaver jerry cans and I love it.  Works great and the water is fantastic.  I've been using mine for just over a year now and still going strong on the original filter.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
@bagofgold

What is the flow rate of your 55G setup? Do you have to "decant" the results into a smaller clear container, and then set that container in the sun? How long in the sun does it take? What about cloudy days? Do you have to rotate the container so that all sides are exposed? To what level of filtration and purification does your setup provide? Has this been tested independently, and by whom?

Here are the specs for the Berkey.

"Generations of health-conscious people around the world have recognized clean, fresh drinking water as a key foundation of a healthy life and healthy body. No amount of vitamins or supplements can substitute for the vital life-sustaining properties of nourishing, healthful drinking water. Along with nutritious food and clean air, clean water is truly essential to life.

Unfortunately, good tasting, sparkling, wholesome drinking water isn't as common as it once was. Water is often laced with chlorine, lead, high levels of harmful bacteria, and other unwanted chemicals and contaminants that can threaten health and produce unpleasant tastes and odors. Even expensive bottled water can contain these same contaminants. Distillation deoxygenates water, creating a flat taste. Many water treatment systems don't adequately remove pathogenic bacteria, and many remove the beneficial minerals that your body needs.

Berkey® Systems are the world's most powerful and economical water purification systems, providing incredibly clean, pure water in both normal and hostile environments. Berkey® systems can purify both treated water and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds, and water supplies in foreign countries with substandard regulations. They come in sizes large enough to meet the sustained water needs of up to 325 people per system, yet they purify without electricity or moving parts, and their portability allows them to easily be taken, and used, anywhere. Berkey® systems will operate in any location where gravity is present — and they always preserve the healthful minerals you need.

Berkey® products are divided into two principal lines: Filters and Purifiers. The difference between filters and purifiers is defined by the EPA: A filter must be capable of “4 Log" contaminant reduction, and a purifier must be capable of a “7 Log" contaminant reduction. 4 Log (simple filtration) means at least 99.99% of contaminants are removed, leaving no more than 1 part per ten thousand of the original contaminant. This “filtration level" of reduction is sufficient for many conditions. The higher “purification” reduction of 7 Log means that 99.99999% of contaminants are removed, leaving no more than 1 part per ten million of the original contaminant (1000x the effectiveness of the “filter” specification.) Systems that achieve this"purifier level" of performance provide ultra-pure water not only in normal conditions, but also in circumstances of extreme and highly dangerous contamination.

The products displayed on this page are Berkey® Purifiers — the highest performing water treatment products in the world!

The Berkey® purification system removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites while extracting chemicals including herbicides, pesticides, organic solvents, VOCs, detergents, cloudiness, silt, sediment, foul tastes and odors. It reduces heavy metals such as cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, aluminum as well as nitrates and nitrites, without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs.

The unique design of Black Berkey® purifier elements combines the age-old process of micro-porous filtration coupled with modern state-of-the-art technology and the highest quality materials to bring you the finest water purification system available anywhere. The micro-pores within the self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Black Berkey® purification elements are so incredibly small that pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.

The media within Black Berkey® elements removes contaminants by a surface phenomenon known as “adsorption” which results from the molecular attraction of substances to the surface of the media. The exclusive purification elements are also impregnated with proprietary media that promote ionic “absorption” of pollutants within the micro-porous elements. Another reason Berkey® systems are so effective in removing contaminants from water is the extremely long “contact period.” Other filtration systems rely on water pressure that forces water molecules through the filters at 60-90 PSI. In such systems, individual water molecules come in contact with the filter media for a mere fraction of a second. Water molecules passing through the revolutionary micro-pore structure of the Black Berkey® purification elements are drawn gently by gravity and stay in contact with the media for several minutes. This makes the Black Berkey® filter media much more efficient in capturing contaminants.

The dramatic superiority of Berkey® water purifiers is illustrated very graphically in the photograph at left. This image shows the upper (pre-treated) section of the Berkey Light® purifier about half full of water containing food coloring. In the lower (purified water) section, which is also about half full, you see clear, uncolored water. The Berkey® purifier's ability to achieve this level of contaminant separation shows how strikingly superior Berkey® performance is, compared to other purifiers. When bacteria are viewed under a powerful microscope, food coloring is often used as a contrast enhancer to make the bacteria easier to see. Even under magnification sufficient to show the detail in a single bacterium, food coloring still appears only as solid, uniform coloration. Yet the Berkey Light®, as shown here, actually mechanically removes the food coloring from the water — the Berkey® is the only filter system in the world that can do this. And, just as importantly, the beneficial minerals essential to maintain good health are left in the water for your body to use.

The Black Berkey® filter formulation has been tested by State & EPA accredited laboratories. Click to see test results from the University of Arizona, Spectrum Labs and Analytical Services. Unequalled Effectiveness: Berkey® purifiers using the Black Berkey® purification elements are proven to reduce pathogenic bacteria (including E. Coli, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, Giardia and Cryptosporidium) by 99.99999%. The Berkey Light® System has been tested with the highest pathogenic contamination levels that can be produced in a laboratory. When contamination levels exceed one billion pathogens per liter of water (10,000 times the density of contamination used in the standard test protocol for bacteriological removal) they're classified as "TNTC" (too numerous to count.) Under normal testing protocol, one pathogenic organism is tested at a time, each with a fresh purifying element. For this test, however, the laboratory was directed to combine three separate pathogenic TNTC cultures. Tested under this extreme contamination level, absolutely no pathogens were able to make it through the purification elements. The laboratory then incubated the water, and nothing grew. When the filtered water was viewed under an electron microscope not even in-viable (dead) microbes were detectable — nothing was present but pure H2O. Furthermore, contaminants reduced to below-detectable-limits include Trihalomethanes, Radon 222, and volatile organic compounds including Benzene, 2,4-D, Heptachlor, MTBE, Styrene, Tetrachloroethylene and Toulene, among many others.

Big Berkey® Capacity & Flow Rate: The Big Berkey® is the fourth-largest Berkey® system. It comes equipped with either two or four Black Berkey® purifying elements, and can accept a maximum of four elements. Lower storage tank capacity is 2.25 gallons. Flow rate is 4 gallons per hour with two elements, and 8 gph with four elements. The Big Berkey® system, when configured with four Black Berkey® purification elements, can purify up to 190 gallons per day (~8 gallons per hour) when the upper chamber is full. Along with the Royal Berkey, the Big Berkey is one of our most popular systems.

For the Big Berkey the cost is:

Big Berkey w/4 Black Berkey Elements$358.00 Qty"

I cut and pasted the above so that people could read it. If they want to know the entire story with pics and pricing for the Berkey, go to :

www.pleasanthillgrain.com

They have them in stock, with pics, prices, and links to the testing results.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade so to speak, but unless one is very poor and has no other alternative, or is forced into using a field expedient measure because of supply disruptions etc., in my opinion, one would be better off and have a more efficient, safer way of water purification by using the Berkey, or possibly the Jerry Can option (if it results in the same level of contaminant elimination) than they would by utilizing the SODIS system that is outlined in your post. Also IMO, $358 is a relatively inexpensive price to pay to secure a clean water supply, especially now when people still have the means and ability to do so. YMMV.

BagOfGold
BagOfGold's picture
Mike...

Mike7.62 wrote:

What is the flow rate of your 55G setup? Do you have to "decant" the results into a smaller clear container, and then set that container in the sun? How long in the sun does it take? What about cloudy days? Do you have to rotate the container so that all sides are exposed? To what level of filtration and purification does your setup provide? Has this been tested independently, and by whom?

The filter is at the cabin...& have been drinking from it for a number of years!...I have no idea what the flow rate is...however...any amount of water put through...is filtered & there is no replacement of any filters ever required!...SODIS is not necessary with this filter...but if anyone wishes...you may use SODIS in conjunction with the bio sand filter!...SODIS requires at least 6 hours of sun or 2 days max is required if it is cloudy out!...Only SODIS is required if the water is clear...if it isn't clear...then filtering is required!...Once again...you will need to view the videos to get all of the links & answers to your questions!...If you prefer Berkey...go ahead...but these other methods of filteration & SODIS are fine too!...In an emergency...many folks will not have access or be able to afford expensive systems...& the replacement filters may be hard to get...or virtually impossible to find...if things get really bad out there!!!...

Bag Of Gold

criscrossing
criscrossing's picture
Hat Tips: 486
Water Stabilization

Recently ran into an Army Sergeant whose occupation was water purification.....he told me the Army uses a product called Purogene made by BayTec, which will stabilize water for 5 years .  He also stated that it also kills all the Protozoa, ie, giardia, coccidia, etc.  I have 2 each of the 275 gallon plastic totes wrapped with I think an aluminum frame.  I now plan on filling both of these with well water and treating with Purogen to satisfye long term water storage needs.  I. Also have a Berkey in the house.  Incidently the Purogene is also excellent to treat RV or trailer water tanks......

lead_dog
lead_dog's picture
Hat Tips: 253
water storage or permanent water?

Water is the most important resource, of course...yes, even more important than PM. What you need depends on your circumstances. Berkey and other filters (which I also have) are great if you have access to water and want to filter it to drink, but does nothing to help you if you want larger volumes of water. In those cases you'll want water tanks, such as this one.

If you're like me and live in the country with a well (I have three) and want to use your existing plumbing, look into this pump with a solar kit. Doesn't matter what happens to the rest of the world, your water will still flow at 3-5 GPM.

I have no stake in any of these products, these are just what I've researched and use. Stay safe.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Water storage can?"