Mounting a coin for jewelry

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
WhyMeLord
WhyMeLord's picture
Hat Tips: 928
Mounting a coin for jewelry

Ok,

I just bought 3 of these beauties (Fiji $10 2012) and now would like to get them mounted in a bezel for use as a choker/necklace.

They measure 54 x 32 x 2 mm.

Got a quote from a local silversmith for $225/ea in permanent sterling silver with 4 week delivery.

This is actually more than the coin cost...

Would really like to know if this is reasonable or any other place to ask for a quote. It is an odd shape...

TIA

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:12
SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
I think the odd shape is what

I think the odd shape is what is costing you , I doubt you will find a bezel that will fit the coin and one will have to be custom made. I ran into a similar problem will a couple of 1/10 oz  coins for my grandaughters........I found the bezels on ebay that would fit and had the local jeweler do the rest and it cut my cost in half.

WhyMeLord
WhyMeLord's picture
Hat Tips: 928
Odd Shape

Thanks for the reply. After looking around at Jeweler's supply pages I finally realized that "custom" means the same thing as going to your friendly blacksmith back in the 18th century for a handmade shovel. Can't really seem to find any links for a quote on the Internet though.

Boswell
Boswell's picture
Hat Tips: 2921
APMEX?

Has a selection of round bezels, maybe they can be "adjusted" to fit???

http://www.apmex.com/Category/1341/Sterling_Silver_Coin_Bezels.aspx

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Mounting a coin for jewelry"