Fresnel Lens for cooking/boiling water

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Irksome
Irksome's picture
Hat Tips: 612
Fresnel Lens for cooking/boiling water

Has anyone considered, or even better, followed through with purchasing a Fresnel Lens solar 'oven'?  I'm considering this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170859924873#ht_5595wt_1163

If anyone has researched this, I'd love to hear of any alternative vendors.  This guy puts up some very informative information, and his product sounds good, but I have been unable to find anyone else selling Fresnel lenses of this size.

Since I live in San Diego, and the sun is bright at least 80% of the time, this seems like a very inexpensive preparedness tool.

Thoughts?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
fresnel lens

@Irksome - I found a fresnel lens at Staples.  It was the size of a notebook piece of paper and sold as a magnifying lens for paper.  I bought the plastic lens and a transparent piece of acrylic and sandwiched the lens in the plastic.

I now have  cheap way to instantly have fire started during the day time.

Fresnel lenses are extremely powerful and quite impressive.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
Wow, did you see that

Wow, did you see that parabolic mirrors by the same seller?  You could use those to make a solar forge!

Irksome
Irksome's picture
Hat Tips: 612
yeah

he's got some cool (well, hot) stuff for sale.

I'll be buying the fresnel lens, framed.  I'm also thinking of buying a roll of his reflective film.  Seems to me that reflecting the sunlight up to hit the bottom of a frying pan on a metal grate would be better for cooking than hitting the food from the top.

Once I get it and play with it I'll post an update.  

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
Hitting the bottom would even

Hitting the bottom would even out the heat, as it is absorbed and re-emitted by the pan.  This would be like cooking something on a stovetop.  Coming from the top cooks it directly, like an oven.  Different solutions for different applications.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Fresnel Lens for cooking/boiling water"