Chinese Currency Float limit raised from 0.5% to 1%...

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
pourty
pourty's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
Chinese Currency Float limit raised from 0.5% to 1%...

From Seeking Alpha: "China also widened the trading band for the yuan to 1% from 0.5%, which allows the yuan increased flexibility to fluctuate and is considered a major step toward paving the way for the yuan to eventually float freely."

Lindsey Williams keeps saying (heard him on 3 recent radio shows) that this is going to cause the price of Chinese-made goods in the US to effectively double in price.

I keep thinking: how can changing the trading limit by 0.5% cause 50% deflation in a currency?  Unless he also believes that it's just going to keep moving up and up against the dollar over time.  But he seems to be thinking that this will happen because 1% is 2X 0.5%...

Am I missing something?  I like Lindsey and I think he generally has his heart in the right place, but I'm thinking he's being a bit naive on this one...  hopefully not purposefully?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:01
pourty
pourty's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
Article in question

http://seekingalpha.com/article/590741-the-evolution-of-yuan-policy

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Chinese Currency Float limit raised from 0.5% to 1%..."