APMEX Inventory Levels

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Hat Tips: 3567
APMEX Inventory Levels

I've been watching APMEX inventory levels for a couple of years for their 100 ounce bars just to see where the physical market stands at any given time.

Thought I'd start a running count here as it looks like things are getting interesting. {May 3 2012}

Why APMEX? Decent sized retailer and you can view their live inventory levels on-line.

Why 100 ounce Silver Bars? Just a good product for use as a barometer of physical supply in the Silver Market.

What does this accomplish? Unknown {I've seen them completely sold out during heavy interest and enthusiasm and well stocked with 2000+ bars during lags} In my experience 600-1000 bars is what I generally see in their inventory levels.

Take it for what it's worth to you. Currently at 530 bars in stock.

I'll update this as market conditions warrant or any other member can if there seems to be any interest in the info.

Silver, Long and Strong!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08
Platinum_Investor
Platinum_Investor's picture
Hat Tips: 320
Interesting... keep us

Interesting... keep us informed.  I read your post from the main comments section under today's post from Turd.  Maybe you can update us there.

Platinum_Investor
Platinum_Investor's picture
Hat Tips: 320
i only see 100 oz Engelhard

i only see

100 oz Engelhard Struck Silver Bar .999 Fine

We currently have 13 of this item in stock.

tallydynasty
tallydynasty's picture
Hat Tips: 989
Not really the best

Not really the best barometer.  A*mex probably has Bank Loans and during slow times they lighten up on their physical inventory to avoid paying interest on too much metal that's sitting around.   

Based on the fact that they have been sending out email specials once or twice a day tells me they are desperate for business.  Also on KWN, another dealer has been saying this has been one of the slowest bullion markets in recent years.  

Not to throw a wet towel on the party, but there is no shortage of physical silver anywhere in the world "right now".  

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Thoughts

Thanks Platinum_Investor,,,,,There are a dozen + different 100 ounce bar manufacturers available at APMEX right now. Some only with 1 or 2 in stock, others with close to 200 in stock. I'll update once in a while in main if something looks significant.

Tallydynasty,,,, No big deal. Your points are well taken but I have followed this particular information for a couple of years waiting to see an actual "shortage" develop somewhere. I follow 100 ounce bars because I think it is a "tell" in the Silver Market in terms of bigger investors wanting to secure more silver fast. My thoughts have been for some time that the larger bars would be snapped up if something really breaks.

This inventory tally is just something I've paid some attention to and I figured I'd share it here. I've found it interesting at times {like when they ran out over a weekend a year back and every couple hours while tracking another 100 bars were sold. Many times it's like watching paint dry but sometimes,,,,}

Take it for what it's worth. 615 this morning.

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Back to average level. 893

Back to average level.

893 Sunday Morning.

Have a great week! DF

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
APMEX site down at times

Must be heavy traffic at APMEX. Maybe even heavy buying, we'll see.

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Slow Grind

Have a slow off-take. Slow but steady.

730 this morning.

Have a great weekend and give your Mom a nice day. {They seem to put a lot of importance on it}

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Killin Time

647. No real excitement to speak of although the numbers slowly work lower.

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
The beatings will continue,,,,

,,,,until morale improves. angry

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
What a week,,,

In the mean time we had a count under 500 and back over 700.

Talk about jockeying for position. 562 the eve before The Preakness.

Been a tough week so that first cocktail might not last long. Enjoy your weekend!

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Triple Crown is in play,,,

,,,,,so is Silver.

I've got 521 tonight. Hmmmm???

Last Triple Crown Winner? Affirmed 1978

What the heck else was happening in 1978? Gold and Silver coiling is all. Just saying,,,,cool

Affirmed wins the final leg of the Triple Crown, by a whisker and a half.

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Memorial Day Weekend,,,,

,,,,,,,is closing in for the U.S.

The inventory levels keep dropping below 500 and then bounce up again. I've got a 481 count this afternoon.

This is to the low side of their average inventory count. What does it portend? Who knows?

Have a great holiday, if you get it and be safe!

I tried to tell you not to leave me home alone, but did you listen? surprise

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
All quiet,,,,,,

Hopefully everyone had a good, safe Memorial Day.

Not much to write home about,,,462 this evening.

Gearing up for a short week. Make it a good one!

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Do you believe????

What a week! Nice come-back precious metal owners. Was there ever a doubt?

APMEX  must have gotten some people to sell at the bottom as they have the inventory back up to 743. June is shaping up to be one heck of a barn-burner.

I'll Have Another narrowly avoided  disaster Thursday at Belmont Park when a spooked  riderless pony almost T-boned the Triple Crown Hopeful. Remind you have Gold and Silver? We saw how they performed Friday. Is there a carry over effect for I'll Have Another to finish off the Triple Crown? We'll know soon enough.

Have a great weekend!

Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
Hat Tips: 3312
Desert Fox, I'd be curious to

Desert Fox, I'd be curious to know if the retailers are selling to each other to shore up supplies in a down market.  For instance, Gainesville runs low and calls up Apmex and they have a discount pricing agreement to transfer bars.  It happens in other industries.  It's legal since they aren't price fixing...

Seller of high quality, Thrive brand freeze dried storage foods: www.freezedriedpantry.com

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Patriot Family

RE: Desert Fox, I'd be curious to know if the retailers are selling to each other to shore up supplies in a down market. For instance, Gainesville runs low and calls up Apmex and they have a discount pricing agreement to transfer bars. It happens in other industries. It's legal since they aren't price fixing...

Would be interesting to know if that was true Patriot. APMEX already has what many consider to be an unholy alliance with Morgan as their banker and who knows what kind of information they get from them and vice versa?

Rumors of some products sold out or very limited at Tulving last week. I'd say the pressure is on but that certainly hasn't translated to an obvious "shortage" at the online operations.  I keep waiting to see an obvious depletion of certain products but not yet. I think if it ever happens it will be fast and furious the same way we would see a $100 {day} move in gold or $5 {day} in Silver. 

We all just keep looking for clues and supporting evidence. Good stuff!

818 this afternoon by the way.

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Tulving shows sold out

Tulving shows sold out for JM/Englehard 100ozt silver bars.  They are also sold out of all 90% and 40% silver.

I too have been watching Apmex inventory levels (for 10ozt gold, 1ozt gold and 100ozt silver bars) and I've been keeping a spreadsheet to track.  Most of the inventory additions to the 100ozt silver bars over the last month or so have been in "secondary market" listings.  I assume these are bars bought from competitors or on the wholesale market (as opposed to directly from the refiner).

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
On the surface things seems quiet

bern wrote:

Tulving shows sold out for JM/Englehard 100ozt silver bars.  They are also sold out of all 90% and 40% silver.

I too have been watching Apmex inventory levels (for 10ozt gold, 1ozt gold and 100ozt silver bars) and I've been keeping a spreadsheet to track.  Most of the inventory additions to the 100ozt silver bars over the last month or so have been in "secondary market" listings.  I assume these are bars bought from competitors or on the wholesale market (as opposed to directly from the refiner).

,,,,,but I sense a riptide under-tow.

Hard to know what exactly is happening. APMEX inventory shows 809 this weekend. That's a massive dozen bars moved all week. Fairly unbelievable but those are the numbers. 

I'll Have Another gets dropped at the last minute. What the heck? Anybody else thinking not much makes sense anymore? Crazy times.

Bern {do you go by PM Bug at GoldSilverChat ?} nice score keeping. If you want to add your data here, please feel free. I'd certainly welcome the information. I think as little fish in the pond we're all trying to get as much info as possible wherever that might come from. Bring it on!

Have a great weekend all!

Live in Wine Country, but I think I'll have a Spaten!

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Yes, that's me.  I'm bouncing

Yes, that's me.  I'm bouncing around a number of websites as I have time.  For now, it's easier for me to just keep posting the updates in a single location:

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f13/physical-gold-silver-inventory-watch-352/

Cheers!

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Watching paint dry,,,,,

Have an awesome week!cool

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "APMEX Inventory Levels"