Cash vs. Check for PM Purchases

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
wje3
wje3's picture
Hat Tips: 26
Cash vs. Check for PM Purchases

Hi Everyone;

I usually pay cash when I buy my gold or silver coins(Gold or Silver 1 Oz. Eagles) from my local dealer. I want to increase the number I purchase each time, especially gold,  but this would mean walking around with $20,000-$30,000 in cash on my way to the coin shop. I'm not even sure if my bank would give me that much cash at once.

I value the anonimity of paying in cash which I would obvously lose if I pay by check. Is there anything else that I need to be aware of if I pay by check ? Is the dealer obligated to report large sales like this or any other implications for a purchase this way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:13
survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
Hat Tips: 6888
cash vs. check

first oFF, why do you want to increase the size of your purchase? i don't know about you, but 20-30k in Ag is preTTy HEAVY for me....now of course AU is another story...you could not fiLL a TUBE of AGE for 30K..but anyway

in CA each 24 hr period you can spend up to 9999.99 in COLD dirty FRN's w/o getting reported by the LCS.

now each state has their own rules..i did not have a chance to check out NH. CA states when paying CASH any amount 10k or more gets reported. if you write a check that says _____ coin shop or _____ metal exchange. "they" wiLL not miSS it. "they" wiLL sEE it. when you withdraw more than 5K in cash from a "bank" account a flag is raised. 

is your goal to stay oFF the Gmen radar or are you reaLLy woRRied about someone taking you for your 30K??

if it is the prior and if your FRN's are stiLL in a "bank" my advice would be to puLL it out slowly...that is what she said....2-3 k at a time. if it is the laTTer, get a hand gun. carry it with you when you have the cash on the way and metal on the way home. blast the fOOl who tries to take something that is not theres.

enough questions from me. did i answer anything???

enjoy everyday

wje3
wje3's picture
Hat Tips: 26
Hi Survival;   Yes, you

Hi Survival;

Yes, you answered my questions. That's what I thought the answer would be. I'm just trying to stay off the radar screen so I'll just " pull it out slowly".  I'm just looking to load up on Gold more than Silver.

Thanks

Big Rocks
Big Rocks's picture
Hat Tips: 511
Keep good records

Good idea to keep good records of your transactions so you can prove you are not trying to launder money or finance terrorists.  Also beware of being accused of "structuring" which is using many small cash transactions to avoid a CTR.  

I did all my purchases by check so there would be no question my purchases were made with good funds and I had the backup paperwork.
Unfortunately our govt. has a history of taking first and putting the burden of proof on you esp when it comes to cash, gold, silver.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Cash vs. Check for PM Purchases"