morgan silver doLLars

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
Hat Tips: 6888
morgan silver doLLars

i know what you are thinking....is this dOOd reaLLy paying OVER melt for these things, i mean WAY over melt...yep.  i would like to hear from someone, anyone who has or is working on this set. my set has two coins in it. 1880 S and 1881 S ms 64 from NGC. i am going NGC and ms64. 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:12

enjoy everyday

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
I buy graded Morgans

Not to complete a set or anything , I just like graded coins for my own stash. I have and will buy every morgan that I come across where I can get it at melt. This used to be easy pickins, not so much any more, as I have watched morgans continue to rise in fiat.

I have a set of 3 O morgans that I know some kid ripped from grandpas collection I bought at a pawnshop last year that are BU uncirculated and have very little bag marks. I hope they will grade 63, if not 64. I have quite a few more that will grade, and that is saying allot for coins of that age.

One day I will get around to sending them off, until then I will continue buying graded one's at 50-70 frns, one at a time.

At least if the world doesn't collapse these coins will continue to rise in value, as they have been stagnated in value these recent years by the PM rise. With all the melting over the last 30 years , this is a no brainer in terms of return for collecting.

survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
75 FRN's

today that is triple melt. SF thanks for your response. i have never sent oFF to get coins graded, i like not having to pay for that, but enjoy the security of knowing what i have. i have also set 75 FRN's as the top i wiLL spend for the coMMon date morgan NGC 64's. have you had any luck purchasing these through ​EBAY? i know about aLL the fake stuFF being pushed but it would sEEm very diFFicult to fake both a NGC 64 and the morgan...

enjoy everyday

ClinkinKY
ClinkinKY's picture
Hat Tips: 22724
Numismatic vs Bullion

Looking for some input from fellow collectors on a subject I've been struggling with.

I have some coins with numismatic value acquired before my "awakening" of the value of stacking bullion. Sometimes I feel that I should sell them now and purchase more bullion, before TSHF. At other times I feel that I should wait, in case TSHF takes longer than expected to maximize my profit. I guess it's the same dilemma as timing the "bottoms". None of my numismatic coins are worth more than 4 figures but I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".

survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
4 figures

damn. i have 0 non Au coins in the 4 figures. but to your question. 

first thing i would do is check the charts on the value of these coins. i use the NGC website but there are others. i have found that most have bEEn a much more stable "investment" than buLLion. now the price you get for these coins can vary from shop to shop. plan on about 80% of grey shEEt bid. that is what we do at the shop i work at at least. 

here is my opinion. if you fEEl light on buLLion and have not other source of funds to acquire more, then by aLL means swap out. it would be nice to do it aLL at once to get the best exchange rate. if you have enough buLLion or other ways to continue to aCCumulate then hold them as a diversification. they are not making anymore of these coins. when we get the blast numi's wiLL be sought after. i am acquiring morgans for this very reason. plus it wiLL be cOOl to give them to my kids or grandkids someday. lots of history in coins.

enjoy everyday

ClinkinKY
ClinkinKY's picture
4 Figures

Thanks for your input. I should clarify that the 4 figure coins I have encompass "sets", such as 25th Anniv. Silver Eagle MS70/PF70 FS PCGS.  I do watch the prices on NGC and PCGS price guides.

My major concern is waiting too long to get these prices. If the SHTF, I don't see a Proof 70 ASE bringing any more buying power than a "normal" ASE. Of course, if the S doesn't HTF then the aforementioned coin would be more desirable.

Thanks again for your post survivalwstyle!

ClinkinKY
ClinkinKY's picture
4 Figures (addendum)

I do have a "mix" of bullion vs numismatics. Currently about 70% bullion/30% numismatics. Just trying to decide which I would rather have. Like I said, it comes down to the timeframe for the SHTF:)

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
Heirlooms

Are what my Numies are for.............If the SHTF, I hope I will never need to touch my numismatics.

These are for what comes after.....if everybody is melting theirs during, how much does that leave on the market in the new beginning's. A 70/30 is a very good ratio IMO as Clinkin stated.

This is why I like to buy the Numies, so much has been melted since 1980  and continues today, there will come a time when the market really gets thin in finding these as I am starting to see now.

Once these coins are melted, they are gone forever.

survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
yep

i agrEE. much of the junk has bEEn or wiLL sOOn be melted.... i am part of the 90% movement. search through junk bins at your LCS. be it dimes, quarters or 1/2's. i find coins aLL the way up to BU. anything F or beTTer i coLLect and forget.  the franklin 1/2 i have bEEn having the most luck with lately. 

enjoy everyday

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "morgan silver doLLars"