Radiation Detectors?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Irksome
Irksome's picture
Hat Tips: 612
Radiation Detectors?

I'm looking to buy a Geiger counter/radiation detector.  My goal is to detect unhealthy levels in and around the house, mostly out of concern for the Fukushima or San Onofre contamination (I live in San Diego).  I do not need high-end scientific gear, just reliable measurements of low levels to be sure we haven't picked up something that needs to be cleaned out.  My ideal product would run on battery power or plugged in, so I could have it 'always on' (ie, set up and forget it), but take it with me or around the house occasionally.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I would like to keep the cost under 10 oz silver, if possible.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Cerote
Cerote's picture
Hat Tips: 258
@ Irksome: DX-1 from Industrial Test Systems, Rock Hill, SC

Got mine for 262 rapidly devaluing FRN's.  Uses a single 9-volt battery.  Goes nuts on old watches & clocks with radium-painted dials, also on Coleman Lantern mantles.  Just google "dx-1 geiger counter" to get reviews, vendors, youtube clips of it in use.

Irksome
Irksome's picture
Hat Tips: 612
I bought a Radex RD1503, $169

I bought a Radex RD1503, $169 shipped, from Amazon.  It arrived today, and I'm playing with it.  Good news, I don't appear to have any obvious hot particles lying around the house!  ;)

Time will tell if it's any good.  I need to find some known radioactive sources to use for testing.  So far most testing I've done have resulted in ~0.15 mS/h.

Thanks for the recco, Cerote, but I had already ordered by the time you had posted.  

Dyna mo hum
Dyna mo hum's picture
Hat Tips: 16640
Cerote

I am really curious to know what kind of reading you from a recently purchased can of pacific tuna? Have you tried checking tuna for radiation? My tuna stash is running low and I need to buy more.

Silvergunn
Silvergunn's picture
Hat Tips: 680
$139.95 and shipped for free right now!

http://www.amazon.com/RADEX-RD1503-Radiation-Detector-version/dp/B00051E906

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Radiation Detectors?"