WTFDIK- When Turdites, Found, Developed, Insight, Knowledge

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17163
WTFDIK- When Turdites, Found, Developed, Insight, Knowledge

When Turdites, Found, Developed, Insight, Knowledge

With a hat tip to TF for his love of acronyms. I was having a conversation with Pining about how and when we became aware of metals, the Ponzi scheme and finally TFMR. I thought it would be interesting as we approach TFMR's one year anniversary to start a new forum to keep a record of it for a future look back.

My story. Back in 2008 a friend recommended a book of fiction called The Shell Game. It's amazing how so much of this books content has been part of the conversation here in the last few days. For those who have never read it, I highly enjoyed it. Here's a synopsis.

From the Publisher

The events of September 11th, 2001,the invasion of Iraq,the threat of radical Islam,an impending showdown with Iran. What do these situations have in common? Oil. And the world is running out. The SHELL GAME is far more than a thriller, it is a MUST-READ cautionary tale that exposes the next 9/11 event a deception that will lead to a retaliatory chemical weapons strike on Iran and the terrorist elements the regime supports. Though the novel is written as fiction, it is filled with all-too-real details provided by insiders in the oil industry, military, and Middle Eastern affairs that extrapolates real events from the past and present that will lead us down a path of self-destruction.Unless we stop the insanity now!

Product Description

The story opens in 2007 when two CIA spooks meet with an American Colonel in military intelligence. The war is going badly, and President Bush, who steadfastly refuses to back down, remains unchallenged at home as Democrats and Republicans continue to toss verbal grenades positioning themselves for the 2008 elections. Meanwhile, Iran s pursuit of nuclear energy will yield enriched uranium within five years, uranium that can be used to manufacture suitcase nukes. The United States military is too drained to invade Iran, and a preemptive strike is out of the question,unless a nuclear detonation were to occur in an American city, the enriched uranium traced back to Iran. A U.S. reprisal would strike a death-blow against radical Islam, quell
 the insurgent violence in Iraq,and yield more oil. Yes, the cost is unthinkable but if we sit back and do nothing then one day a dozen suitcase bombs could go off in a dozen American cities bringing with it anarchy and the collapse of Western civilization. December 2011: Ashley Ace Futrell is an oil expert working for PetroConsultants, married to Kelli Doyle, a former National Security Advisor and one of the CIA spooks from the opening scene. When Kelli threatens to expose the plot, Ace finds his existence hurtling down a rabbits hole of deceit where the orchestrated lies of the powerful few could lead to the darkest days of human existence, and the death knell for billions.

In the book the author refers numerous times to Michael Ruppert's Crossing The Rubicon book. After reading his book in which Ruppert wrote in 2004, he said gold was going to $1700 an ounce. At the time it was about $375. So many of Ruppert's other observations seemed spot on to me that I believed his gold forecast.

From there I came across FOFOA and Chris Martenson. Once there, one of the regulars on Martenson posted  what he used as a homepage, consisting of the many sites we all read. Of course one of them was Zero Hedge. As many of us here know, is where we first discovered Turd.

I think it would be interesting to hear how many of the people on TFMR came to awareness.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:47
Pining 4 the Fjords
Pining 4 the Fjords's picture
Hat Tips: 39496
Nice, Murph- It is interesting...

How the lights "turn on" for different people, and the various paths that lead us to this place. As I mentioned to you, it was the unreasonable and illogical rise in the stock market post the 2008 crash that led me to ZH and alternative sources of info. It is a strange thing to realize how much is fake out there...

JY896
JY896's picture
Hat Tips: 11683
zerohedge.blogspot.com

My client (BofA) suggested that I falsify/'massage' the data I was working on to hide the impact/noticeability of SIVs and subprime exposure in late 2007 and 2008. After/around the crash I started looking for the best 'alternative' financial sites, in an effort to learn more about the fundamentals (I had heretofore only focused on the media aspect of things). So I found the original version of ZH back around Feb. of 2009, and was quickly sucked in. The links (some to contemporary sites, others to historical background) provided by the readers in the early days there started me on the slide down the rabbit hole.

And of course, once ZH built a site, and I started noticing Turd's prognoses after I'd decided (but not yet implemented) stacking, it was only natural to follow him to his blogspot, then here.

Turdland Jobs Forum

Vernon Wormer
Vernon Wormer's picture
Hat Tips: 1021
WTFDIK

I slept through the crash of 2008. I am a full time teacher with a side business. I was working my ass off 12-15 hours a day and did not pay any attention to anything beyond 'that Obama fellow is kinda' creepy.' I received my year end bank statement for 2009 and for all of the money I was sacking away, I earned something like $40 in interest. This started my journey down the rabbit hole. I heard mention of a web site called zerohedge on a radio talk show (Hugh Hewit) and they were sort of making fun of it. I checked it out and the instant rush I got from reading the truth had me hooked. I also noticed the weird dude with the big hat making spot on predictions about the metals. Shortly after we began stacking and followed Turd over here from day 1.

JY896
JY896's picture
Hat Tips: 11683
Fuel is needed for the primer/catalyst to have effect

I suppose I'm belaboring the point, but the 'final' few steps were only possible b/c of the preceding decades. Grew up with the doublespeak and financial falsification of a declining E. EU communist regime, with ALL of my elder relatives warning me never to consider a political career due to the inherently corrupt and corrupting nature of the field. Watched the Balkan civil wars go down just a few dozen miles away. My classmates smuggled gasoline into Serbia to pay for rent while in college. Then I worked with a lot of US soldiers, many armored cav guys, who told a lot of stories NEVER mentioned on CNN - some about Gulf War I, others about how they came to be in the military. Finally I worked in PR and media for a few years, and became utterly convinced that MSM was COMPLETELY bought and paid for -- I just did not at first know where else to look.

The challenge with getting others to open their eyes is that in fairness I had a lot of 'preparation' myself before I was ready to see reality.

Turdland Jobs Forum

Xeno
Xeno's picture
Hat Tips: 3438
Great topic Murphy and thanks

Great topic Murphy and thanks for all you've done TF. Yes, it'll be interesting to see some of the stories of awakening. You just can't make this shit up. The revenge of JFK - payback's a bitch.

When did my awareness begin? I suppose as far back as I can remember but that awareness was constantly clouded by my life's circumstances. The main one always being treated like the red headed stepchild of a dysfunctional family. My views were always dismissed and I never ran into anyone who ever agreed. Treated like a mushroom comes to mind, always kept in the dark and fed shit.

After vaugely recalling the burial procession of JFK and the atmosphere of the times, I recall the squabbling of extended family members in the mid 60's when the silver certs were being pulled from circulation. As a young kid I had no idea what the hubbub was about but silver stuck someplace in my mind (Lone Ranger?). Then in the early '70's it just did not seem at all right that credit and credit card use was being heavily promoted to the general public. How stupid I thought, you're supposed to save for when you can afford something or you put it on layaway, you never personally use credit. I could see how businesses would need the use of credit, but the public at large? It just did not seem right, it just seemed like a scam having credit shoved down our throats, and the feeling stuck.

(Sign seen somewhere along the way; Our credit manager's name is Helen Wait. If you want credit, you'll have to go to Helen Wait.)

In the mid '70's I had some modest savings (paper route money) and wanted to invest at the beginning of my life's adventure. But like everyone else, I was treated again, only this time moreso, like a red headed stepchild by any banker I talked to about investing in some stocks. Fuck 'em then, fuck 'em now.

Then came '79. I was working for cash with nothing but the shirt on my back and my cash savings in my pocket. I recall the news of the day with everyone seemingly running around screaming gold is going to the moon, oil is going higher still, and the sky is falling and we're all doooooomed. I couldn't afford any gold, didn't know where to get any, and was not quite 20. I figured, let the shit hit the fan. I was young, strong, and had nothing to loose but I could at least be part of the rebuilding. But some how (and now we know how) things didn't totally fall apart, so I went back to my life as it was. I made a promise to myself though, I promised that I wouldn't miss the next gold bull (I had a feeling it would be the last one, at least in my lifetime). Then '98-'99 rolled around and once again everyone was running around like chickens with their heads cut off screaming the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

So around '98 I started to pay attention to more things again. Once again, the red headed stepchild treatment began anew but this time I wasn't about to go along with the same crap all over again. Even back then the learning curve was already getting too steep, so bridges started to burn and I can't imagine how steep it is today, it might as well be Everest, on the moon. You get it or you never will.

Then in 2000 that long forgotten promise I made to myself stated to come to the forefront of my conciousness. The air around newly elected W. was thick with communist (Nazi) leanings and false partiotism and made me sick to my stomach (). 9/11 happened and I knew it was total bullshit from the get go and started doing all I could to keep that promise made long ago. I bought my first stack in '03 with every cent of my tax refund. HA!

By '05 I was all in physical, save some cash for every day crap, with the attitude I had in '79 only more focused. Let these bastards get what they got comin'. The f*ing sons-of-bitches. Rip off the world and when it falls I sure as heck hope it buries every last single one of 'em for not only the pain inflicted in my life but for the pain they've inflicted on everyone the world over. Fucking commie bastards. Fuck 'em then, fuck 'em now.

After the last 12 years, it seems that there's only three kinds of people left, A) those too young to comprehend or understand B) those who are a part of the problem and not the solution and/or are just incurrable psychopathic megalomaniacs (a.k.a commie bastards), or C) those who are right. (and have been right for the past 100yrs. or so)

I've done all in my capacity that I can do to stand against these bastards with every fiber of my being and will not shed a tear for the bastards that ran their scam and tried to take over the world and then failed - again. Fuck 'em then, fuck 'em now.

Promise kept.

bbacq
bbacq's picture
Hat Tips: 1619
Awakenings...

It's a process.  I have been awoken through reading and discussion and formal education in fields other than economics and finance.  Control theory.  Systems theory.  Complexity, chaos.  Economists in the family with whom to talk things over.  We seem to have diverse backgrounds.

- born '61 with lawyers, judges, politicians, architects, artists, authors, insurance and bankers in the family tree.
- third of four.  Blessed life.  Spent a year in France as a kid in '68-69, four more months in '72.  I think this was formative in some way.  I was like a little French kid when we left in '69.  Language and assimilation happens fast at a young age.
- small public school, small high school.  I avoided the private schools they wanted to send me to.
- I'm still friends and keep in touch (pre-facebook IPO!) with people I met in kindergarten, public, high-school... it seems not to be that common...

- I always thought it was significant that "Pay to the Bearer on Demand" disappeared from our Canadian notes when I was a child.  I think that has led me to seek to understand money and currency and banking, though I don't actually care much for it all.

- spent 2 summers working my uncle's farm in my early teens. Visited my kinder-buddy's frequently, and helped out.  Farming teaches you a lot.  Everyone should get a try.

- met my high-school sweetheart.  What a brain this girl's got.  Fine chassis too.

In the '80s it was clear to me something was wrong.  Deficits, debt, inflation.  I have provincial "Libertarian" buttons from the era, but some of those folks were seriously whack, as I recall.  Lots of reading around then:

- leftovers from teenage reads of 1984, Foundation, Dune, other sci-fi swirling
- leftover's of Rouseau's Confessions weren't sitting well...
- Godel, Escher, Bach
- Economics in one Lesson, Hazlitt
- Hayek's Road to Serfdom
- Sowell's Conflict of Visions
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: plus real maintenance, and road-racing... yeehaw!   Slide a bike at speed on pavement and you suddenly get Zen.
- Electric Koolaid Acid Test: so, who's on the bus here?
- 'Shrugged
- books on golf.  It's relevant, see "karate", below.
- Control of Nature by John McPhee.  Summary: you can't control nature.

- tons of math, physics, chemistry, logic at university.  Undergrad was Engineering Science in Computer Science, Master's in Electrical.  Not bragging, just where I come from.  Enough science to be seriously humbled in terms of what we actually understand.  Not much, and less the more we learn.

- the high-school sweethearts marry, on the university campus, where Ma+Pa teach philosophy and history

I work at various companies - SPAR Aerospace (on a terrestrial arm), some smaller high-tech firms.  I become highly disenchanted with government attempts to direct R+D resources as I witness the waste of the tax and spending programs.

The internet happens, and I realize it will evolve into a synthetic brain around 1988 when I was reading stuff above for pleasure and studying artificial intelligence, parallel computer architectures, artificial neural networks, etc. "Eureka!"  I cry. "The internet will save mankind from himself, and it is the only thing that can!"  At the time, it was green phosphor and 300, maybe 1200baud modems.  I didn't invent it like Gore, but I sure nailed what was going to happen and how important it would be.   I then relax.  A foolish mistake.

I relaxed like a good sheeple into a career in semiconductors, telecommunications and such, and raised a family within the system.

I witnessed the MSM paper over research by my father into post-WWII history that ran counter to the blessed storyline.  It was a real eye-opener, quite the smear-campaign, and this was 50-year old "news".  "Debunking" conferences organized, books published, literary ostracism, attention from government agencies, overrule of editorial decision from on-high.  Eventually Steve Ambrose, the US establishment's chosen spokesperson on the issue, was outed as a plagiarist and fraud, I believe.  My mother learned German at the age of sixty so she could help Dad in replying to all of letters from from Germans who so appreciated seeing the untold story of the death of their loved ones finally see light that they felt compelled to write and thank Dad.

I started reading again, waking up intellectually again, eventually. 

Perkin's Confessions of an Economic Hit Man really hit home to me for some reason.  Made me really re-think a lot of stuff that had just glazed over.    It is a very personal account telling the story of the events in my life from a very different perspective.  I knew central banking was bad, based on bad math, but I had no idea of the degree of conspiracy and collusion and the obvious, known and admitted, evil intent of these international organizations.  That might have been a trigger-point in going deep on the net on some stuff I just had to revisit to see if I understood the bigger picture.

I got beat up on various small-caps, despite great technology etc (INAP, ONT, bought by google and whose technology now forms the core of video processing in HTML5 <video> tag coding)  I was obviously right, yet I was not profiting.  Why?  Yahoo stock-boards...

- Deep dive at deepthroat, when that overstock.com fellow was just getting going...
- Letters to the SEC about naked shorting of stocks.
- I did a lot of web reading.  A/FOA/FOFOA was interesting reading, not sure about all the economics...
- youtube videos, Keiser Crash JPM (stay tuned!)...
- Harvey, zerohedge, shadowstats, Matt Taibi... all of galmarley.com (I read recently it's Rothschild owned!)
- Bix Weir's road to roota was lots of fun.
- read some Niall Ferguson on Money, History of Rothschild.  He's an apologist, but readable, if a bit long-winded (look who's talking!)
- some books on oil etc, Jeff Rubin's World about to get smaller. Crude World.   Boy what a mess the bankers have allowed the children to make of the playground.  All unnecessary.

- Crichton's speech on complexity and "State of Fear" got me going on climate... his "travels" is an interesting read too...
- So I deep dove on IPCC and found Steve Macintyre at climateaudit seemed most credible.

- lots of circumstantial evidence was mounting.  Political positions taken, bills and acts passed or not, leaders executed or not, legislation retracted or enacted quickly thereafter.  Bankers do seem to be at the root of great deal of mischief.

I did a deep-dive on 9/11 for a while - my faith was shaken.  I was in Atlanta when it happened and drove all the way home, and across the border into Canada in a Kia.  Definitely weird, and something was very wrong.  Not till later did I ask: If so many false flags etc had occurred through history... is collusion in that one possible too?  Boy there is a lot of circumstantial evidence, destroyed evidence and "coincidence" all around that day, I found.  Proof and certainty may never come.  My suspicions were definitely aroused.

I had a long and interesting conversation with an individual who claimed, with some evidence to document it, that the Fed had made off with around $700B during an ACAT transfer that he was to have been trustee for.  He explained a great deal of Taiwanese/Chinese relations to me, and seemed credible.  It was a long conversation.  I more recently read the (different) New Jersey lawsuit filed naming the UN itself and lots of players.  Interesting reading.  And now the poor guy is dead.  There are definitely some interesting little secrets about gold, China, Taiwan, the Fed, etc. IMHO.

Somewhere in there we squeeze the karate, and I think it is formative too.  Karate really focuses the mind.  Its very Zen.  I think it might have been Karate that finally made me realize that all problems are the same.  The same principles that allow a punch or kick to be thrown hard and accurately enough to perhaps kill someone are the same as those that lead to a successful and productive society.  The punch requires that the mind focus only on the objective, and disengage from direct control over the actors of its system: feet, legs, torso, shoulders, arms, fist...BANG!  It must be the muscles that remember the release of the coiled-spring, cracked-whip punch (or golf swing!) into existence, not the mind that coerces the muscles into doing its will.   Societal benefit requires that we not coerce to achieve results, but abandon control to the muscle-memory of the markets and the emergent order of self-organization.  It is all the same.  It's all chaotic systems that follow certain principles.  Karate allowed me to physically experience the math my mind understood.  It's hard to explain.  I aspire to being better at it.

Lots of little stuff blends together to create a mosaic.  Without knowing what I was doing at the time, I "went Galt"a few years ago as I was being driven insane after my start-up was acquired by a too-big-to-exist telecom firm for pennies on the dollar after devaluing it in "partnership" for years, and here we are.  The product line did over $300M for them last year I am now informed.  No regrets, but I now ask: for whom was I really working all that time, even if it was "my" startup?  Wow it was fun.  I can only imagine how much grander it might all have been without coercion in the loop.  Flipping burgers in Colorado might be fun too.  Perhaps I'll give it a try.wink My mind is not on strike.  In fact, it is working hard.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16200
I cannot remember exactly

I cannot remember exactly when but I, like many I am sure, somehow stumbled across this video. watched the whole thing and here we are...........

I also had a chat with my father over 10 years ago and he said that things could not go on indefinitely as soon as loans for houses were being offered to the public at more than 4 times annual salary. He was absolutely spot on. 

Put those two pieces together and well, that is my story.

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16200
I inadvertently posted the

I inadvertently posted the 8th part of the talk (in eight parts)

Here is the whole thing from the start in order. Apologies.

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Pining 4 the Fjords
Pining 4 the Fjords's picture
Hat Tips: 39496
Inspired

Inspired by BBaq to add some flavor to my above brief account (GREAT post B- very, very interesting.  Parallel lines, and all thatwink).  Some "awakening" lessons:

1.  Sitting in a graduate-level Anthropological Theory class, first term as a grad student.  We are presented with a very standard classical Marxist-oriented theoretician and his writings, the class and the professor are discussing various aspects of the idea that "Capitalism impoverishes the many at the expense of the few".  I had the bad taste to ask a simple question: "You all are asserting that free markets, over time, impoverish the vast majority of people in a given country.  So answer me this:  why is it that all over the planet, countries which have been the most free-market oriented for the longest time are all, without exception, the richest countries in the world?  And does this fact not completely undermine the very foundation of your claims?"  The reaction this provoked, amongst students and professor alike, was very akin to me bringing out a Klan hood for show and tell...  chaos, vitriol, and twenty minutes of hate 1984-style.  This was my first lesson that the academy is largely like a medieval monastery where any attack on the "faith" is considered heresy and pure evil, and the 'true believers' are not interested in fact, they are interested in maintaining belief and enforcing a stifling orthodoxy.  I saw enough to realize I need to start playing the game they expected if I wanted a career, and I learned the lines like a good boy.  I also started educating myself-  Hazlett, Von Misis, Sowell, Rand, etc.   

2. From 1998-2007 I compiled a very nice trading record for a small fish- I beat the S&P 500 Index ever year (and this was my benchmark, after reading that just over 50% of Wall Street money managers, in any given year, will fail to beat the S&P).  My method was swing trading of 2-4 months for different stocks based on a. analysis of the fundamentals for profitability and projected future PE, coupled with 2. simple technical analysis to choose good entry points.  I look back at what I didn't know then and am shocked I was able to do this profitably, but it worked at the time.  Until 2008.

The crash didn't kill me- I was nimble, had tight stops, and when others were eating a 30-40% loss in 8 months, I was down just 10-15%%... not bad.  It was the aftermath which killed me- I kept shorting and losing, over and over again.  I would see a materials company that sells to home builders, and could see that they would be lucky to have sales of just 50% what they did last year, AND the stock was up 30% off its lows for no reason whatsoever...  a killer set-up.  So I would short...  and get stopped out.  Short again... and get stopped out.  The market was levitating upwards while the underlying fundamentals were deteriorating, and the disconnect eventually sunk in-  I finally understood that the Bernanke Put was not just interest rates, there was some backdoor avenue where money was created from thin air (by a bankrupt country) and it was being channeled into the market to keep people happy and slumbering.  I finally understood that there were no free markets anymore (or even a simulacrum of free markets), just centrally-planned nonsense. I stopped with my dinosaur investing methods and oriented almost exclusively to PM's. 

3.  I found ZH and started following avidly-  this was back when the comments were more like an MBA seminar room, and less a contest for who can be the most ironic and droll.  Back then you needed to really know what was what not to get laughed out of the place, and even with my background in investing, I virtually never posted as much of what was being said was over my head.   But I watched closely.

There was this poster there who really knew his stuff- I profited over and over from his market calls.  I would wake up each morning and look for any PM-related thread, then avidly scan to see what Turd Ferguson was saying.  I happened to be on one morning and I saw that 15 minutes earlier, Turd had posted a link to his blog he just created.  So I think I logged on to the Blogspot site within an hour of Turd putting the site up.  Been following the big guy ever since, and DAMN I'm glad to be here.  

ata
ata's picture
Hat Tips: 19580
Shaking free of sneaky enslavement - - -

I was always dubious of the way mainstream media had become tainted by the commercial interests who advertised with them. It became obvious that the media was suppressing investigative journalism and anything that questioned the integrity of the establishment.                                                                                                                                                     The moment I got an internet connection in 1999 I realised that their were heaps of other people who knew they were being shafted. After a few years of sorting through sites and articles I had figured out that the people who knew the truth were rarely seen in mainstream media. People knowing the truth is not in the best interests of government,corporations,banks,media etc.                                                                                         Once I clearly recognised the underlying pattern of corruption that I had intuitively always felt was there, It didn't take long to see that the entire financial system was a ponzi scheme that was going to collapse, probably in my lifetime.                                     These days I never really look at establishment agenda media. Just the stuff like is found here at T.F.M. and other similar sites that resonate with my own gut feel.

In high tide fish eat the ants, in low tide ants eat the fish. - Thai proverb

OrangeAlert
OrangeAlert's picture
Hat Tips: 1080
The Journey

First, it hasn't ended.  But my journey here started where one may expect it, but really wouldn't expect it.  Throughout my youth I was always good at math, but took advantage of the fact instead of trying to learn it and master it.  It all just came naturally, through high school.  Became interested in Accounting, and thought that would be my career.  That's what you would expect would be the beginning for me to here, but no.  It was more about religion at first.  I'd go to church and things just didn't add up.  Every year I'd hear the same thing over and over, but knew there had to be more.  And why was the church always praying that our leaders and politicians were wise, and that our soldiers were kept safe?  So I stopped going and it was about then I was starting college.  Then a friend of mine led me down the "New Age" path.  Started reading books on Buddhism, Hinduism, and many "New Age" type of things culminating in reading the Falun Gong, reading about communes, socialism, environmentalism and living a spiritual life.  Everything I ever read or heard from the new age was how it all worked together, it was all one path, everything led to the same spiritual end, etc.  I believed it, and I went as far as quiting college my senior year to instead figure that all out and get out of the Accounting/Finance path I was working toward.  As it was pretty hypocritical to want to work in an industry where all you looked and thought about was money (the root of all evil).

So after I quit, I asked myself one simple question...if all paths lead to the same thing, how did the new age movement/all religions/environmentalism, etc fit in with history and the Bible (specifically Jesus' words).  What I found out, was that it didn't at all.  I'm sure there are people out there that will argue with me w/ the lost gospel's, or some other gnostic text, but when it comes down to it, there's one very simple reason it will never add up...all religions, and even Christian church's will all preach knowledge and good works will get you to heaven, nirvana, enlightenment, higher aura levels, higher re-incarnation levels, etc.  Jesus said faith alone.

So without getting preachy, I'll move on.  Decided I was too close to a degree to not finish and went back to school.  Graduated w/ a degree in Finance.  Very interested in Investments and Corporate Finance.  I read a Random Walk Down Wall Street and bought everything I was fed at school.  They wouldn't teach you the wrong stuff would they?

I took the very simple and basic understanding that not everything leads to the same place, and I started digging into history.  History of religion, countries, ideas, ages, people.  During all of that, I stumbled upon the Hour of the Time and William Cooper.  Talk about a mind job that was at first.  I was mostly interested in his religious, secret society stuff at first because I was still solidifying my understanding of how I got "duped" into believing in the whole new age thing.  So the secret society stuff hit right at home because in the end, that was more of a religion just the same as the new age stuff.  Only it focused on hidden knowledge vs. spiritual revelation.  Then it all started to come together a little bit.

9/11 came and everything became much clearer.  I mean, how can you not when here's a guy who I didn't know, talk about how something was coming, then be spot on with predicting the exact reaction by the gov't after 9/11.  Passing laws left and right to eliminate freedoms, and have the bills sitting and ready to go right then and there and get passed in the Senate 96-0.  What a blatant fraud it all was.  Shortly there after Cooper died and I was left with a hole with nothing but the newly introduce Ron Paul.  Never heard of him before William Cooper.  Glad I knew of Bill Cooper.  Glad I know of Ron Paul now.

Read some of his stuff on the war and oil and learned a bit about the petro-dollar, but didn't really think a lot about it.  One thing I knew (and I don't really know how) but that I had to buy some gold.  There was no way this War on Terror would be bad for gold.  Only problem...I had no money, and I had no idea how or where or who to buy gold from.  So I didn't.

I didn't know about Libertarians yet, but I started reading the Constitution, The Treatise of Government, The Republic, and got interested in gov't and how it works and why we have the Bill of Rights, etc.  Opened up another entirely new world.  Things started to tie together and make a little sense finally looking over longer periods of time and why it made sense for then and now.  Still love all of this education to this day.

Stumbled upon this great site, The Architecture of Modern Political Power... http://www.mega.nu/ampp/  So much info, just went into overload.  Way too much to read, research, question.  Went through some of it as I had time.  I should go back now and tackle more.

Had a brief stumble across Myron Fagan about 2003, and started reading Atlas Shrugged...never got past the first 150 pages.

Then life happened...all of that stuff made perfect sense.  I thought I had a good enough handle on everything, so I stepped away and lived.  Had a good job as an accountant, bought a house (in 2005-yuck), got married and saved money to get a bigger house w/ the wife.  Everything was going great.  Even started to kick myself that Gold was $1,000/oz when it was only $275 when I originally wanted to buy some in 2001.  But all I heard was, Gold is in a bubble.  The bubble is going to pop.  Don't buy gold.  So I didn't.  Then 2008 happened.  Lost my job, and couldn't get a new one.

Again I had one question for myself...how the hell if I had a good handle on things (I thought), did I get blind sided like that?  It's like the crash came out of no where for me.  Just one day I go to work, and leave an hour later. WTF?  But I knew from my previous self education that someone did know.  Lots of people had to have known.  I just didn't because I left that world and didn't know who or what to follow.  Cooper was gone, so I went to Ron Paul.  Got introduced to the Mises Institute.  Read every article.  Read all about the Great Depression and specifically America's Great Depression.  Started learning about fractional reserve banking and read The Mystery of Banking.  That one again opened up a whole new realm of understanding.  But that got old and wasn't enough.  I wanted to start seeing things in real time as I was sure the QE was not going to last and that the double dip recession would turn this into another Great Depression.  So I started reading Lew Rockwell's blog each day w/ Mises and went back and actually read the whole book of Atlas Shrugged.  That all led me to Zero Hedge and the whole financial world.  Still don't get most of it, but learning every day.  Zero Hedge then led me to Turd's blogspot when I heard someone over at Zero Hedge say they loved Turd and loved his new site.  I had no idea what it was, but I was hooked from Day 1.  Finally, someone who talked metals.  Followed him over to the new site.  Took me all the way to last year before I finally felt comfortable enough to do what I wanted to do in 2001...buy some PMs and start stacking.  Go figure I finally get in at the start of the year long correction.

Most of the people on TFMR are now instrumental in my learning.  EROI and energy costs.  Ivars posting of Dr. Tainter's collapse was really good viewing.  All of the prepping stuff, and really, the live feed and opinions of what's happening right now.  It's just what I've been looking for.  Thanks Turdites!

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17163
Thanks

Orange for sharing. Lots of meat to chew off that bone.

peckerwood
peckerwood's picture
same story

same story for me.  been waking up in fits and starts for many years.  always have asked questions, and answered them myself, when no on else could.

i also had success beating the markets up to 2008.  would consider my strategy value focused, and some swinging around core positions.  after 2008, nothing has worked.

last stock buy was in March.  i was in between the bid and ask for 7 minutes, midcap stock, as all the 100 share lots whizzed by.  i was so pissed i quit trading that very day.  since then all i have done is short JPfuckingMorgan a few times, seriously.  as i cash out of my positions i am buying metal, and soon some very remote land. 

i should say, i also had some serious issues happen to my family in March.  after the realization that the entire stock market was an illusion, and some serious soul searching, the matrix went poof in a few short weeks.  funny, its about that time too, that the words "the Turd" entered into my financial lexicon!

GLTA

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Still developing...

When I started seeing shows on TV where people were "flipping" houses I knew that there was something wrong but didn't know exactly what. As crazy as it sounds, I think this was the first light bulb that went off (or should I say dimly lit?). So the crash happens and housing tumbles and I first learn of bubbles. I thought homes always went up?

I normally spent my time on the web staying up to speed on electronics and trendy stuff. I think at one point while on fark.com I ran across an link to an article at zerohedge. First thing I remember was the site was bland and boring, not the "shiny" 2.0 websites that were popping up everywhere. The articles I tried to read were over my head and admittedly some still are to this day. I read some of the comments and being a neocon at the time, I was confused. I didn't grasp the understanding of a libertarian. Some times I agreed and sometimes I didn't. This sort of makes you re-think everything you learned.

More of those user comments would use "FRN's" as opposed to "money." Why make that distinction? Then we hear about the size of the bailouts. It's when the word TRILLION finally made it into mainstream lexicon. I thought to myself, "Holy shiat where did that come from?" And down the hole I went. Federal Reserve, gold, silver, bailouts, GM, Rothschilds, income taxes as theft, Iceland defaulting vs austerity... it was all hitting me at once from every direction. I was getting mad at my previous teachers for not "teaching" me anything. Like I wasted a chunk of my life learning complete and utter BS through state approved text books. It was also shaking my neocon political foundation at its roots.

Then out of nowhere I saw Turd's stupid yellow hat and made me chuckle the old Saturday Night Live jeopardy skits. "This Turd guy ain't too bad," I thought. So followed him to blogspot and to tfmetalsreports. Fun times, good crowd. The commitment to sift through all the BS kept me buying when I had spare cash. Glad I did too! It's true, there will be an end to this Keynesian experiment. Not sure when it will be, could be tomorrow or maybe 3 years from now.

But I must say that the "red pill" was really hard to swallow. Looking back I think it actually affected me physically through stress. There was a period of time where I had to take it easy and slow down. It was around the denial/acceptance stage I suppose. I'm also trying to help friends but they don't care. I try to help my Dad but he's 70 and still a neocon. I would put on Judge Napolitano on Fox Business to show him an alternative view. He liked the Judge, but never understood why the Judge asked us (the viewer) questions in his monologues and ending statements. He's still entrenched in the system and I'm giving up explaining things to him. Maybe he knows something isn't right and just wants to live his last days without stepping on a rattlesnake nest.

It's a good community here. I like the diversity and knowledge. I like the links. I like what Turd says because he sounds like a normal guy like me searching for truth in everything. But the one thing I haven't learned is how to stop sporadic boating accidents.

ltcolkilgore
ltcolkilgore's picture
Hat Tips: 1677
Where to start???

This is a story of everything coming together at the right time and place... I received a letter of recommendation and a 3 month severance package from the company I had worked at for 11 years about one month before the 2008 bubble burst - that shook me up pretty hard. I assumed finding a new job would be no problem but I could not have been more wrong. I was 41 and I had never been unemployed since I was 15 yrs old. I was a complete matrix style zombie at that point, I happily lapped up whatever came out of that TV tube every night. I ended up working part-time in the evening with a friend where I was eventually able to get a full-time position. It took about 7 months to get the new job and by then our savings had vanished, I was close to needing a new liver, but luckily my silver stack survived. Silver was just a hobby for me back then, my mad money fund. My new salary was about 1/3 less than I had been making so we had to make a lot of cuts in our budget to keep our house, vehicles, eat, etc. Satellite/cable TV was one of the first cuts we made so I started doing more reading on the internet and listening to radio. My shift started at 1pm so on the way to work I was flipping through the AM band and came across Alex Jones... I must admit that I give him credit for making me start to question what was going on in the world but I moved on to many other sources of information and only very rarely now listen to him or visit his website. I somehow ended up at Survivalblog, which I still view often, and I was linked up to a Zerohedge article on silver, and from there onto the Watchtower blog which became an instant hit with me. I bookmarked the sight that night and have returned to TF daily since then. I believe TF appealed to me because I knew so little about PMs and all of the information I was able to absorb just fascinated me.

Anyway... that's how I ended up lurking here for so long and just recenty signed up... still not sure why I signed up but I'm quite certain that will become apparent to me in hindsight as I believe everything happens for a reason. Or maybe - I'm just an incurable silverbug!

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust...
Psalm 144

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "WTFDIK- When Turdites, Found, Developed, Insight, Knowledge"