Babies, Kids & Life

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
FriedEggs
FriedEggs's picture
Hat Tips: 4978
Babies, Kids & Life

If someone close to you, that you cared about, seriously approached you to ask for your advice on whether or not you think they should have a kid - based on todays society - what advice would you give?

Knowing what you know about the global world affairs, current events, natural instinct, etc...

What kind of future do we expect for someone born in 2012?

Fried(e)

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06

Fighting the GOOD fight on this QUEST for Truth...
The battle is not between right and left; it is between us and 'them.'

JY896
JY896's picture
Hat Tips: 11683
Tough question - with only one possible answer...

...from my perspective. While a very valid issue, it was never a question on my end. The world is full of (dangerous) idiots, not to mention even more dangerous evil. But the only thing that stands in their way, that makes progress possible: men and women who are good, just, smart, ethical and willing/able to do right.

Unless they are involved in cutting edge, humanity-saving research that takes up all of their time, what really in the end is worth living for? Heck, if one IS involved in such work, all the more reason to have kids -- in the hope they may continue what was begun by the parents. If fertility is an issue, adoption is a possibility.

But of course, easy for me to talk, I've already (heavily) invested in this project. Some points:
- by the time there MAY be an improvement in the direction of human affairs, it may very well be too late for them to decide to have kids (10-20 yrs)
- it's an existential question only if one has difficulty providing food/shelter to oneself. Kids need little beyond those basics EXCEPT parental love, recognition and guidance, and that is not a really a question of resources, in most cases
- what kinds of future: a) one in which the experiences we the current tenants of Earth gain in the coming years (esp. if living with eyes open) will be invaluable as humanity evolves/rebuilds, or b) one where you are going to need all the family you can get just to survive.

Ultimately it comes down to whether they WANT kids, if they think they will be able to truly and unconditionally love the child/children. Personally, I think it important to have two parents working well together on the family project, but this is less of a priority for some people.

As to timing (as in 2012 or 2013 or 2016) -- my feeling is get while the getting's good.

Best of luck to your friend, I understand this is a very difficult choice -- not making light of it, just very firm in my belief in one direction.

Turdland Jobs Forum

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
I have asked myself this

I have asked myself this question in the past.  It is easy to look at the world and get scared of what may come.  I have come to the conclusion that we can't live in fear, it will consume us.  The world goes through cycles because man learns nothing from history.  Societies, empires, and countries rise and fall.  The future largely depends on the individual.  The outlook for kids these days looks bleak, yes.  But if they are instilled with the knowledge and morals on the way they should go, they will be ok.  They may have to work a little harder and have fewer opportunities, but opportunities are always there.  In the end its a personal decision.  Personally, if a family is currently stable and has plans considering what may be the future, go for it.  A lot of people have had it far worse than we do and that never stopped them.  I just like to keep responsibility in mind, ie if you can't support yourself then you obviously can't support a child too.

Maryann
Maryann's picture
Hat Tips: 4363
Have to chime in..

Great question and I do agree with JY and Jr, for me, kids represent hope, and life!  And that is the most precious thing in the world.  Love triumphs over evil and fear, and children are love!  My responsibility is to love, teach right from wrong, and guide them to adulthood.  It is a great gift and great privilege.  Although we are living in uncertain times, I think there have been much worse circumstances.  But our circumstances don't determine our joy and fulfillment.  We do!

I wish you all the best, Fried Eggs!

survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
Hat Tips: 6888
this is my baTTle

the wife wants children. i want children. i know this world is fOOked. it is going to get rough.  she has no clue. thinks $50/hr teaching pilates is the new normal.....so if it haPPens it haPPens. no puLLing out now. i do think the sOOner the beTTer to provide the best health care...

enjoy everyday

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
You can have kids if you want

You can have kids if you want to.  Just be certain you make a path toward the future for them.  That means survive, buy gold, buy silver.  Maybe some nice farmland.  Hell, consider moving out of the country, away from the West.

King Kenny
King Kenny's picture
Hat Tips: 97
My girlfriend and I are

My girlfriend and I are expecting our first child in July.

Although we can do our best to look at what is happening around us and predict the future, the truth is no-one knows for sure.

There are things to be worried about in society right now, but when has there not?

I think a lot of clever, knowledgeable people are surprised right now that TPTB have been able to kick the can along the road for so long.

While I still have work in the morning, I will continue to stack, monitor events unfolding in the world, and try to live my life not in fear of the unknown.

Ratatouille
Ratatouille's picture
Hat Tips: 985
Mom & teacher of teens, here

Look, as a mom of two teenage girls and a high school teacher, I think about the battle lines of child-rearing a LOT.

And my advice is, don't have kids if you aren't willing to sacrifice at least some of your personal goals to help them accomplish THEIR personal goals.

It's easy to have babies. Meeting physical needs (feeding, bathing, clothing) is EASY. There's nothing to it.

Meeting the needs of an emotionally/intellectually developing young adult (from about age 11) is HARD. Just when you're getting ready to let go of the reins, your teenage kids will need you the MOST. And they will, by the way, fight you 9 times out of 10 for that control.

Patience, loving discipline, and consistency. And more patience.

That's what you'll need, by a factor of about 1,000, to raise a self-actualizing child these days. And by age 16, you'll be ready to throw Maslow to the wolves. Then the work really begins. 

There's never been a greater need for strong, independent, thoughtful young adults. And there's never been a greater shortage of them. On the other hand, there's never been a greater surfeit of self-centered, shallow teenagers.

You do the math.

FriedEggs
FriedEggs's picture
Hat Tips: 4978
I really

appreciate and respect everyone's thoughts and comments...

Fried(e)

Fighting the GOOD fight on this QUEST for Truth...
The battle is not between right and left; it is between us and 'them.'

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Babies, Kids & Life"