APMEX now collecting county info and tax?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thieving Corp.
Thieving Corp.'s picture
Hat Tips: 538
APMEX now collecting county info and tax?

Haven't used them for a while, as I have found better prices elsewhere. Yet they do have a good selection of interesting/quirky gift items. So I just went over, logged on and added a couple of items and supplies to the cart and started checking out. The first strange thing was that it complained the address was missing county information. Fine, so I enter it. Then on the final page I see this not insignificant amount as "Tax:". WTF? I don't remember ever paying tax before. Is this something new or am I just imagining things? Anyway, I cancelled the order and will look elsewhere. But I'm curious if anyone still uses APMEX, when did this start? And if this is a trend that may eventually spread to other online dealers?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:13
bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
APMEX is one of my least

APMEX is one of my least favorite dealers, in terms of pricing / ship time, but they do have good selection of some products other bullion dealers don't stock.

I believe the new tax is because APMEX is now shipping from the East Coast if you are on the East Coast as opposed to their Oklahoma City warehouse. 

Was your order under $1500? 

Compare Silver Prices

Over55
Over55's picture
Hat Tips: 167
Its because they opened a

Its because they opened a shipping office in NY state. So all NY state residents now have to pay tax.

Thieving Corp.
Thieving Corp.'s picture
Hat Tips: 538
I see. Buh-bye APMEX.

I see.

Buh-bye APMEX.

APMEX_Official
APMEX_Official's picture
Clarification from APMEX

Hi there, I am an APMEX representative and I just wanted to provide you with a little more info about your question. For domestic orders there is  no sales tax if we ship to other states than New York State and Oklahoma. We apply taxes for all orders shipped to Oklahoma and orders below certain thresholds and for specific products in New York State. Please call 1-800-375-9006 for specific questions.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "APMEX now collecting county info and tax?"