Bump Fire-->100% Civilian Legal Automatic Rifle

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
Bump Fire-->100% Civilian Legal Automatic Rifle

I just found out about this today.  Apparently, you can get a conversion kit for your AR or AK that allows for up to 800 RPM that is COMPLETELY LEGAL (for now).

The website: http://www.slidefire.com/

Demonstrations: 

I think everyone should get several of these.  Then sell them or lose them.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
badScooter
badScooter's picture
Hat Tips: 180
fickle atf

the principle seems sound.  Caveat emptor...there was a device a while back called the "atkinson accelerator" or some such...it was a bumpfire stock for a .22 rifle.  The feds evaluated it, and wrote an approval letter for it, gave the guy the go-ahead.  The guy started selling it, the feds went "WHOAH" when word got back to them that the thing actually worked, and the customers were required to turn the things in.  Since it was the ATF, I'm assuming they weren't compensated, and probably now have a "special file".  The lesson here is:  They can find out who bought them, and the corollary, "pay cash".

Let us know how it works if you get one...

-m

ps if you get one, get a chrome-lined barrel and let it cool down between mags!!!

treefrog
treefrog's picture
Hat Tips: 10390
cash sale

are these available at gun shows where one could buy them for cash and walk away without giving i.d.  ?

alternatively, is there a street address for the manufacturer or dealers?

treefrog land and cattle co.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
The Atkinson had a spring

The Atkinson had a spring that provided mechanical assistance, making it a machine gun.  This device will likely need a new law to become illegal.

Outfitter
Outfitter's picture
Hat Tips: 287
Having shot one on the AR

Having shot one on the AR platform before, I would not call it an "Automatic" as that would imply a mechanical change to the trigger group. This uses the shooters arm/shoulder muscle combined with the rifles cycling to tap the trigger faster than a shooter could do it just by squeezing it. The stock actually extends on the left side past the trigger and you have your trigger finger across and resting on the stock. The recoil then causes your finger to pull the trigger. You have to be pushing forward on the forearm to control the bursts.

They are available at most gun shows for around $300. Pay cash and no records are kept. There is a law suit pending on  a patent issue. It comes from the Mfg with a letter from the BATF stating that it is a legal modification to the firearm.

Buy lots of ammo, it's a lot of fun to shoot. Careful not to burn out the barrel!

badScooter
badScooter's picture
outfitter question

Hi Outfitter,  based on you having used one, do you think the accuracy/controllability good enough for use as suppression fire?  Is the stock rigid enough to be able to not impede accuracy in single fire?

Hi TMosely, yes I heard that argument about the accelerator...but since when does they stand corrected on their own technicalities?  If they realize they don't like it, it will be disappeared I'm sure.  These are the same guys who made a halfass attempt to ban shoe strings, remember...

pourty
pourty's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
Why not just learn to bump fire properly?

With proper use of a sling, the exact same thing can be done firing from the shoulder (with an AR15 at least) an no special stock or hardware needed, just a snug sling.  I rarely bump fire, it's fun, but 1) I don't think it's terribly useful for most of us and 2) it will burn through barrels in record time and 3) I have to drive an hour out to the mountains to do it, stuff like that is not allowed at the gun club... for obvious reasons.

The problem with this solution is that after a few rounds you have completely lost your point of aim.  It would be better, in my opinion, to learn to shoot fast and accurate with a semi-auto.  I don't forsee many citizens needing to lay down suppression fire anytime in the near future, and if you do, those 30 round magazines aren't going to last long.

In a SHTF situation, if and when you actually need to use your rifle, you will likely want to use ammo as sparingly as possible, as it may be difficult to get more of it. 

tmosley
tmosley's picture
On the contrary, one of these

On the contrary, one of these with a 75 round magazine will make any group of thugs reluctant to come into your house.

From the videos, it looks like they stay on target pretty well, producing consistent kill shots at 25 yards.  Not much point in using high firing rates at a longer range than that.  Better to line up individual shots there.

Outfitter
Outfitter's picture
Hat Tips: 287
@ badScooter

The stock has a selection switch that allows you to choose the fire mode, bump or single shot. I found that short bursts could be controlled fairly well and would be comfortable shooting at body sized targets out to 30-40'. 

Letting 30 rounds fly would be a "spray and pray" scenario and in a real world situation it would be a waste of powder, IMHO.

Like others have stated, in a SHTF situation, good controlled single shots down range will do more good and be more effective.

Its fun and novel, just not practical for my hunting purposes.

badScooter
badScooter's picture
spray-n-pray

hi Outfitter, thanks for the feedback.  Reason I ask is that often times spray-n-pray is the right answer (suppression) in a fire and maneuver situation.  You know you aren't likely to hit anything, but putting metal downrange keeps opfor's heads down so your other fire team can maneuver to flank (enfilade or envelop).  Not a waste of ammo at all to keep bad guys' heads down.

As far as needing to do this sort of thing in a shtf scenario, I guess it depends on the nature of the "s" and the velocity of the "f".  Not expected, but definitely within the envelope of the fat tail that also encloses currency collapse imo.

see you

m

tallydynasty
tallydynasty's picture
Hat Tips: 989
Nice feature for those

Nice feature for those looking to add some firepower.  

The rate of fire would make having better ammo that much more important.  HPR Ammo (Cabelas has it but out of stock on the 55 grain 223 at most recent check) -- has some incredibly smooth brass and performs like a champ in full auto mode.

Gold, Guns, God, Silver, Ammo :)

badScooter
badScooter's picture
accessory for the accessory?

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.5_hs.php

heatsink.jpg

found this...

m

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Bump Fire-->100% Civilian Legal Automatic Rifle"