Help with oil lamps

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
unknownrider
unknownrider's picture
Hat Tips: 723
Help with oil lamps

Hi folks-

Haven't figured out how to search this forum yet, so apologies since this has probably been covered, but anyone have any advise on what kind of oil lamps to get? I'm looking at the Montana lamp on amazon as well as the regular hurricane lamps. Trouble is, the hurricane lamps are made for kerosene and I wanted the oil for cleaner burning. Thanks.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
CorruptionPays
CorruptionPays's picture
Hat Tips: 156
Not sure what kind of oil your talking about

If you are referring to liquid paraffin, it's the same as kerosene, diesel, or odorless mineral spirits.  Diesel has some additives to help out internal combustion engines otherwise it is the same thing.  In europe kerosene is called paraffin.

unknownrider
unknownrider's picture
Hat Tips: 723
No it's not K-1 or kerosene

No it's not K-1 or kerosene it's an oil ( clear, ultra refined ) for lamps. Minimum odor or smoke.

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Not sure if this will help...

I bought a cheap oil lantern from Walmart. It uses that clear oil liquid you are talking about.

Looks like this one:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/360420376690?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

I used it two nights during power outage from a Tornado last year. Worked well indoors and hardly any smoke it seemed. The flame is adjustable by moving wick up and down with a lever. 

treefrog
treefrog's picture
Hat Tips: 10390
a convenient source of lamp -

a good source of lamp - usable fuel is charcoal lighter.  it is highly refined and de-odorized kerosene (parafin outside u.s.).  available widely, most convenience stores have it in pint or quart (450-900 ml) sized cans.  i've used it for years in lanterns for camping.  safer and more esthetically pleasing (imo) than the harsh glare of coleman type gas lanterns.

treefrog land and cattle co.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Help with oil lamps"