Wikipedia to go black on Wednesday

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paladex
Paladex's picture
Hat Tips: 2871
Wikipedia to go black on Wednesday

From the source: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

"Today, the Wikipedia community announced its decision to black out the English-language Wikipedia for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC on Wednesday, January 18 (you can read the statement from the Wikimedia Foundation here). The blackout is a protest against proposed legislation in the United States — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate — that, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia."

Don't know what the "SOPA" fuss is about? Here's a video.

What do you think? Will this matter to anyone?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:02

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

silverparatrooper
silverparatrooper's picture
Hat Tips: 543
thanks for posting this

Good information there. I hope that these oppressive legislations do not get through. I think that it is inevitable with the currently zietgeist.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34233
The absolute stupidity of our

The absolute stupidity of our goverment never fails to astound me!!  Online piracy is a pretty broad issue but let's look at one specific example, music.  

The cause of music piracy is created by the US Goverment and over regulation.  Now they are trying to over regulate the effect of their imbesile regulation by creating more laws.   And you thought it was filing sharing sites.  

The music industry spends millions of dollars in government lobbying to ensure laws are created to benefit the corporations, tax both the consumer and the artist through royalties and put those profits into the government coffers. It boils down to taxation without representation.

The rates that are set are done through the formation of US Copyright Royalty Board and collected by a government hired agency the Royalty Industry Association of America.

In a true free market, artists would be free to negotiate royalties based on market supply and demand. However once government enters the picture and creates laws to tax the artist and thereby penalizing the artist and the listener.

Over and over again throughout history we see what happens when government through market regulation interferes in free market enterprise. One of the natural outgrowths of taxing and rising prices on any commodity is the rise of black markets to avoid government intervention. We all know the story of prohibition which created a black market for booze. Same thing happened in London and is now happening in the USA with cigarettes. And it occurred with American's going to Canada or oversee's to get their prescription drugs.

Now, if somebody encroaches on one of my personal copyright songs, inventions, writings.   Than that issue is to be decided by the courts, judicial branch,  and not at the taxpayers expense by creating more government agencies to come knock down people's doors.   It becomes a matter of the judicial branch.  

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34233
I guess this

I guess this legislation could virtually shut down youtube.  Fat bastard, Washington Bureacrats.    

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Wikipedia to go black on Wednesday"