Roll searching

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gunrunner
Gunrunner's picture
Hat Tips: 277
Roll searching

Good evening my fellow Turdites.

During this crazy month or so in metals, I decided to try something I read on one of my numismatic websites to break the monotony of just watching the charts and do some "Roll searching".  I have done it for years collecting pennies and after reading that the holiday, pardon me for being PC here, Christmas holidays, are a great time to search for silver.  After being deceived by my bank about how many fifty cent coins to a case, 1000 not 500, a case is $500.00, I ordered one.  Spent a couple of hours over the weekend opening up rolls looking for silver.  The very first roll rewarded me with a 1943 Standing liberty.  After that it was hit and miss.

All in all, I ended up with 4 Standing liberty, 3 Franklin, and four 1964 Kennedy's all 90% silver.  Also found, which I did not know, 22 1965 through 1969 Kennedy's that are 40% silver.  Not a bad score for face value. 

Now the twist to all this.  I called the bank to order another case and stated I would bring these in after the teller told me be sure they were rolled up and back in the case.  Even explaining that they have the rolls and a machine if I would like to use it.  WRONG!!! 

After speaking with the branch manager, I was informed that they will only take them back in a BAG loose and ONLY in $1000.00 increments.  Well to say the least, I was not happy.  However, I have some extra toilet paper to use so I went ahead and ordered another case.  Now I just need to find the additional late date coins to replace the silver that was removed so I can return them in the bank bag with $1000.00 total half dollars.

I will do this again and might even try quarters or dimes.  I will however, ask all the return rules beforehand.

Good luck should you choose to accept this mission.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08
bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
Thanks for the advice, I

Thanks for the advice, I definitely wouldn't mind giving the local Wells Fargo a run for their money. 

Compare Silver Prices

Gunrunner
Gunrunner's picture
@bestever

Just wanted to say thanks for the program you developed, it is great.  I have them saved to my favorites and use them daily. Great job.

Gunrunner
Gunrunner's picture
Update

Received my second case and found 2 Liberties, 7 1964 Kennedy's, and another 15 1965-1969 40% coins.  Also have a friend that hooked me up with the 'filler' coins needed to complete the 1000.00 dollar amount to turn in to the bank and ordered two more cases.  I like the way this is going!!

csquared13
csquared13's picture
Hat Tips: 1288
Gunrunner wrote: Received my

Gunrunner wrote:

Received my second case and found 2 Liberties, 7 1964 Kennedy's, and another 15 1965-1969 40% coins.  Also have a friend that hooked me up with the 'filler' coins needed to complete the 1000.00 dollar amount to turn in to the bank and ordered two more cases.  I like the way this is going!!

half-dollars? i wonder if i should try this. i usually always check laundry quarters, but haven't lucked out yet and i go through quarters pretty often. (car wash towels and dog stuff...lotsa laundromat trips lol)

seems worth a try on a slow weekend or something.

Woody Mornings
Woody Mornings's picture
Hat Tips: 302
The first rule in coin roll hunting is.......

.....do not return coins to the same bank.  It will work to your benefit to have a supply bank and a pick up bank.  Not two different branches of the same bank either.  You will find that it behooves you to keep your tellers happy.  Bringing in coins that you just made them lug around will be sure way to get cut off.  Plus eventually you will end up with coins that you've already searched.  

Gunrunner
Gunrunner's picture
Interesting concept

Thank you for the advice Woody.  I have already returned my bag of $1000.00 of halves and ordered two more cases to go through.   My teller is also a collector and doesn't seem to mind.  I do like your idea of using two banks, which I have accounts at for swapping them out.  But, isn't it true that they are shipped back to the reserve to be re-rolled and boxed?  I will try your idea out on the next bag I lug in.  They are heavy with 1000 coins per bag.

Woody Mornings
Woody Mornings's picture
Hat Tips: 302
The coins will stay within

The coins will stay within their cash services company ie brinks, garda etc.  They are the ones who process/roll the coin.  From there the coins stay segregated within the processors vaults.......so lets say brinks handles chase and bofa.......coins from said banks stay separated within brinks vaults.......that's the way I understand the system to work......but what do I know.

Its a fun hobby.......and a good workout ;-)

Check this site out for more info.................http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,224.0.html

Gunrunner
Gunrunner's picture
Thanks for the site.

Thanks Woody for the link to the roll searching site.  Just finished going through the two cases I picked up Thursday.  In all, I got two 1964, three 1966, two 1967, three 1968, and one 1969.  You could be right about the coins staying within the system, yet since the money is not part of my budget, I am going to continue searching.  I find I drink less than usual when I am busy going through the coins and that make the woman that lives in my house happier..:)

All the rolls I have received are Brinks.  I might try Wells Fargo with this batch and see what happens.  If they come in from Brinks, I will try Bofo.  Either way it is fun, and for face value, I feel I have done well.

bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
So gunrunner, I just picked

So gunrunner, I just picked up my first $1000 in 50 cent halves from the local citibank. Just searched through the first 500 and found 2 1964s and 6 1965-1969s. Not bad at all.

I have a question for you on your technique. Do you go through the rolls coin by coin? I just basically tore the coins out, and then looked at the stack from the side, and pulled out any that didn't have any copper rim showing. However, I worry that I might be missing some of the 1965-1969s this way just because they seem to have a slight tinge of copper. What's your method? 

Compare Silver Prices

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Roll searching"