Could platinum be the precious metal to back in 2012?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
hungld
hungld's picture
Hat Tips: 114
Could platinum be the precious metal to back in 2012?

Could platinum be the precious metal to back in 2012? Prices have plunged recently and it is now cheaper than gold.

Indeed, the platinum spot price has slumped by 26pc since its high in August and it briefly fell below $1,500 a troy ounce last week.

“For the very first time, a troy ounce of gold now costs over $200 more than a troy ounce of platinum,” Commerzbank  analysts led by Carsten Fritsch, said.

“The price difference between gold and platinum has been widening in favour of gold since early September… We do not view this discrepancy as sustainable because it could bring about a shift in jewellery demand towards less expensive platinum.”

The platinum price is at a 26-year low relative to the dollar. The metal is not only used in jewellery but is an important component in catalytic converters in vehicles and other industrial processes.

European car sales are very important for the platinum price, where a significant proportion of diesel cars are sold, which use more platinum in emissions control systems. However, these fears could be overcooked.

Morgan Stanley reckons that 17pc more platinum could be used in vehicle making next year at 3.82m tonnes the highest since 2007. There is also likely to be demand from investors in the form of back exchange traded funds (ETFs), particularly after such a large price fall...

Source: http://igoldprice.net/could-platinum-be-the-precious-metal-to-back-in-2012/

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:11
Animal Sacrifice
Animal Sacrifice's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
My bet is on platinum

Yes, aside from an insignificant couple of hundred thousand split between GDXJ & SIL. I own PPLT purchased between 1:01 - 1.15 gold platinum ratio. (very hefty GDXJ & SIL dividends were plowed into more PPLT.

I think that it's a given success stratagie given a long enough period of time.

Ibú Ayé fun o mi opolopo owo

//www.cultural-expressions.com/ifa/orisha/ogun.htm>

securi_D
securi_D's picture
Hat Tips: 620
Platinum Info

Hello,

Platinum has peaked my interest in the past few weeks. I looked back in the original platinum thread for some articles on the subject (thanks Animal, you seem to be on top of this subject the most) but it seems to fly under the radar even on the gold and silver bugs. With not many people knowing about it, this could actually be a bigger play than most people think. Also, I think the most curious point that I read was that JPM was taking physical delivery of platinum bars.

Now I believe I'm preaching to the choir here when I say do as they do, not as they say. And it is RARE that the banksters get it wrong, if ever. If they are buying, then something​ has to be up with this metal. My question to you (whoever can share this knowledge) is/are the best places to find information when it comes to Platinum mining, inventory levels, industrial demand and uses, investor demand, stock pile levels, rarity, etc. etc. ? And last but not least, are there any books available? I found one on amazon that seems really outdated (Investing in Platinum by Antony C Hutton, 1982). Although if the information is credible and relevant, then it's worth the money. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-_D

Animal Sacrifice
I have no inside information

I won't even say that Turd's hypothesis that the "great Keneysian experiment is ending," what I do know is that my family has stacked more ounces than anyone would believe of (mostly gold but huge amounts of silver too) since before the term stacking even existed. My grandfather began in 1930, my father continued buying Mexican 50 peso gold coins throughout all the years they were illegal to import to the USA. None of us ever considered or stacked platinum until I bought one ounce recently but the premium is so damn high that my purchase last Friday was of another  50  Peso gold coin. I don't necessarily expect to "survive" or "come out well" or "make a profit" buying precious metals and, frankly, platinum is my least favorite looking PM of them all. Still, it is the most undervalued so I have all my funds except for a couple hundred thousand invested in PPLT.

Anyone who reads Generations and the Fourth Turning with an open mind knows we have merely hit the beginning of a huge crisis. What form this crisis is going to take I have no idea: depression, hyperinflation, totalitarianism, whatever; but it WILL end in a war - very possibly a civil war.

I refuse to pay again the premium for physical platinum and, frankly, I have way more PM than I could use for the rest of my natural life though I think it may finally be likely that the stacking my grandfather began over 80 years ago might finally come to fruition by 2025. Since I won't pay the premium for platinum (palladium is such a finer looking silver-colorured metal - much nicer than silver itself or platinum) if I do keep buying more and more than I could ever use, it will be gold because there is nothing that compares to it's buttery colour in my personal taste.

But in terms of value; I definately believe that if not purchasing the physical platinum metal, that a fund like PPLT will definately outperform gold, silver, and/or palladium.

Ibu Aye fun o mi opolopo owo

securi_D
securi_D's picture
Hat Tips: 620
Thanks Animal

"Anyone who reads Generations and the Fourth Turning"

Interesting... I've never heard of that before, but cycles do spark my interest. I'll put it on my list of things to read.

As far as platinum goes, the only place where I found premiums to be reasonable is Tulving, but you have to buy a minimum of 10 ounces. It would just seem that the natural order or elements the earth carries, platinum is significantly more rare than gold, yet cheaper. So the obvious conclusion would be to play the platinum game, but I still would need to do more reading and research for myself to feel comfortable. That's just what it seems like on the surface, anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Since you are already ahead of virtually everyone because you had a generation before you start stacking, your mind is probably at ease compared to most. Hopefully I can give my future kids and grandkids the same luxury in life...

-_D

Animal Sacrifice
Who, me worry?

No, you're right, I'm not worried. I expect the crisis (this Fourth Turning) to get very bad (we have one every 80 years come hell or high water) and to not end until 2025 (and end in a war - probably a civil war this time) but I'm gay and have no children (well, my husband is 25 years my junior and has no history of or interest in stocking) so he and I get to use all this in our lifetimes.

Platinum is back at 1.02 ratio for now which if it stays or gets even more normal anytime soon will be too fast, I think. Last time I played this ratio game it took me a year holding the platinum to trade back to gold once the ratio normalized.

I've read comments on "Main Street" saying "Bummer, gold is underperforming platinum," but the truth is that gold way over-performed platinum and it's now beginning to adjust to the normal ratio.

Let's make lots of money.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Could platinum be the precious metal to back in 2012?"