Home storage

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
obiwan
obiwan's picture
Hat Tips: 120
Home storage

I know this has been discussed before, but maybe we can go over our members ideas for home storage of PM.  I'm toying with purchasing a safe.  Isn't this just drawing attention to the fact that it holds something of value?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08
Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
If you're worried about

If you're worried about tarnish, first vacuum pack your stash in plastic bags. Throw some desiccant/silica in a sealable plastic bucket ,  stuff your metal in and bury it in an undisclosed location. 

Yes, a safe tells the thief "here's all my good stuff." However, some safes are pretty damn safe depending on your needs, wants, budget, etc.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
Tarnish & storage

Sulphur is what causes tarnish, not water.  

I've heard the best way to store it at home is to get a big PVC tube, wrap your silver in bags, stuff 'em in the tube, seal the tube with PVC cement and then dip each end in wax to further seal it, then bury it twice as deep as you would think necessary - when reburying it, put some junky rusty metal about half way above it, then if somebody IS trying to find it with a metal detector, they will, hopefully, move on after finding the rusty junk.

Make sure the PVC does not come in direct contact with the silver though.  There are reports of PVC creating a greenish goo where it comes in direct contact with silver.

http://coins.about.com/od/caringforcoins/f/pvc_damage_faq.htm

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
More on safes

I've heard a safe is a good place to put your decoy stash - a small token pile of metal that will, hopefully, satisfy thieves and make them think they've cleaned out everything you have.

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Wasn't there a thread around

Wasn't there a thread around here somewhere where a member owned/worked at a company that built safes?  I searched around but was unable to find it.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Dr G
Dr G's picture
Hat Tips: 17890
bern wrote: Wasn't there a

bern wrote:

Wasn't there a thread around here somewhere where a member owned/worked at a company that built safes?  I searched around but was unable to find it.

@Bern, yes, that is my family. Sorry for the delayed response, just saw this thread.

My wife's family has made gun safes for the past 20-25 years. Undoubtedly many here own our safe models. Each operation gets better and better.

Our current offerings are Champion Safes and Superior Safes. Basically the same design, but Superior have external hinges which allow the door to open greater giving better access. I prefer the look of the hinges hidden, however.

You can visit the website at www.championsafe.com

My opinion is that a safe is one in many steps of home defense. Safes are great not only for metals and guns, but also for personal documents (birth certificates, SS cards, tax papers) and checks and credit cards, etc. We often think only of robbery, but you can't forget the fire component. Anything that would be lost to fire and not easily replaced has a good home in a safe.

So what are the steps of home defense? I would say multiple safes (at least 2), perhaps a dog, a home security system, and personal weapons. And the biggest is probably keeping your mouth shut when it comes to what you own.

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Thanks DrG.  I will send you

Thanks DrG.  I will send you a PM shortly on a private question.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
I like a floor safe

That way it can be hidden and is not obvious (you could have some other as a decoy) and it can be sunk into concrete.  

Harald
Harald's picture
Hat Tips: 1738
A floor safe set in cement is

A floor safe set in cement is what I'm looking at too.  Rent a jackhammer and do the installation yourself.  I don't trust someone to come in and do the work, the fewer people who know about it the better.   

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Home storage"