G&S or a Better Currency?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
GoldFever
GoldFever's picture
Hat Tips: 1
G&S or a Better Currency?

I've been reading up a lot on this global financial crisis and the general consensus is to keep stacking physical gold and silver so you can maintain your purchasing power. Some people think they will get extremely rich by investing in these 2 precious metals. But I can only see everyone else getting poor and gold and silver investors maintaining their wealth.  I recently purchased a bunch of silver and only a little gold based on advice from a few trusted friends. The more I read about it, I'm not sure why I bought any silver. I am told silver is meant to follow gold but it doesn't seem like it. I'm starting to feel gold is a much safer investment. Anyway, I keep hearing that paper money is not wealth. This is most definitely true when it comes to American dollars but my money is in Canadian dollars. Research shows me that the safest currencies are those tied to commodities, such as the Canadian dollar (CAD) and Canada is not reckless with their currencies and national resources. So is there any point in investing in gold and silver if I am not an American?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Homesteader
Homesteader's picture
Hat Tips: 166
History: Gold and silver have

History:

Gold and silver have thousands of years of use as money.

No paper currency has more than a handful of decades.....including the Canadian Dollar.

Silver is on sale right now.  That's why it's low. 

Silver is as important as gold for two reasons:  silver has traditionally been a precious metal and money, and will be again, when paper currencies fail.  Silver is a C-R-I-T-I-C-A-L industrial metal with so many uses it would take pages to list them all, and as long as the industrial world holds together, silver will be in demand.  Look up the world stats on production, and use, and make your own judgment as to where price is going.

Gold, I would agree, over time, should simply retain purchasing power....the increase in price is merely a reflection of how crappy paper currencies are getting, not a true indication of an increase in purchasing power for REAL goods.

Silver, on the other hand, due to the fact it is "used up", and basically scattered to the winds as not economically recoverable in most cases, is becoming more rare.....some estimates claim above ground stocks of gold now exceed silver.....and thus silver does have the potential to explode to the upside due to scarcity.  My own holdings are 30:1 silver to gold.

In any case, I wouldn't buy the first ounce of either until I had a year's worth of food put up, a reliable water source, and enough firearms to keep somebody from taking it all.

GoldFever
GoldFever's picture
Hat Tips: 1
Silver hasn’t been used as a

Silver hasn’t been used as a currency for quite some time now as the silver standard has come to an end, correct? I know silver is used as an industrial metal but the price of silver keeps dropping which would indicate the demand is not very high. Everyone I talk to seems so unclear on the situation of silver. How much above ground silver exists in the world today? No one knows. The estimates range like crazy. I am not looking to get rich by investing in silver. If it happens I would be pumped though.. I am a little worried about losing money in silver though because I rarely see any facts indicating the price of silver will go up. Many people claim they have facts but in the end they just seem like made up numbers simply because everyone has their own estimate and they differ so much. We are always on the edge of a huge rally in silver! How long are we going to be on the edge? never seems to happen.. I will make my own judgment on where the price of silver will go and I do see a lot of potential in silver, I just can’t be so certain I will gain money on my investments like everyone else seems to be.

The Canadian dollar has been around since 1858 so I’m not sure what you mean when you say paper currencies can only last a handful of decades? Is it true that no currency can last? All currencies will end no matter what even if they follow completely different procedures than the US dollar? Please inform me of why and how this HAS to occur.

I have a large farm where I can easily grow enough food for my family and friends and spring water is an easy resource to get in Canada. Just walk up the mountain a short while.  I think you are totally nuts talking about getting firearms to keep others from taking it… looks like civil war and killing will be taking place with that mindset.

Homesteader
Homesteader's picture
Hat Tips: 166
I'm not familiar with the

I'm not familiar with the history of the Canadian dollar, but I'd bet it hasn't been around in it's current form since 1858......just as the American dollar has been "around" since 1790....but it went to hell in a handbasket in 1913 and 1933, and up until 1971, Canada could still redeem US dollars in gold.....so just because the name stuck doesn't mean the  money is the same.

As to food and water, I always love it when folks tell me what they "could" do if they had to, as if it's no trick.....tell me what you ARE doing, and I'll be far more impressed.  On guns/ammo, well, again.....study history.  Almost all conflicts are resource related.  "you got it, we want it".  If you come to a forum of being prepared, and don't think that is a possibility of coming to a location near you, I think you're the one that is nuts.

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
Longggggg Term

Is where you need to focus. No one knows if and when this will happen, this is a LONG term play, as things are now the chances of a collapse are better than they ever have been. As the US holding the reserve currency all currency's will fall in a domino effect unless some type of miracle were to occur.

I hold , not for future Wealth but for holding onto the living standards I now have and surviving during and after if a collapse occurs, if I come out better then so be it, I took the risk.

If you want to make today's fiat off of buying and selling PM's then go for it, otherwise hold until you need it and hope you never will.

I get aggravated seeing people who have bought PM's gripe about the rise and fall in fiat price, for those.........you bought for the wrong reason's and you need to sell out. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "G&S or a Better Currency?"