Gold stocks of the 30's vs. today

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmsvett
jmsvett's picture
Hat Tips: 415
Gold stocks of the 30's vs. today

For those getting discouraged/need a pick-up about gold mining stocks - I thought this was a very interesting article by Paul Kasriel . . . who I think a lot of people who are familiar with his work would greatly respect.

http://www.safehaven.com/print/16985/gold-early-1930s-vs-early-2010s

The type of deflationary pressures coming to fruition now, with a relatively steady bid of gold of $1600+ applies now.

His takeaway from the article (I don't think I am violating any rules here):

"U.S. gold mining stocks were strong performers in the 1930s not because investors gravitated to gold as a hedge against future inflation or because of a loss in the faith of fiat currency. U.S. gold mining stocks were strong performers in the 1930s because the U.S. Treasury was guaranteeing gold miners a steady or rising price for their production as their production costs were falling"

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:20

Jmsvett

bobby
bobby's picture
Hat Tips: 2892
jmsvett wrote: His takeaway

jmsvett wrote:

His takeaway from the article (I don't think I am violating any rules here):

"U.S. gold mining stocks were strong performers in the 1930s not because investors gravitated to gold as a hedge against future inflation or because of a loss in the faith of fiat currency. U.S. gold mining stocks were strong performers in the 1930s because the U.S. Treasury was guaranteeing gold miners a steady or rising price for their production as their production costs were falling

and you have raised a critical point

the market back then was a less complex one

the market today is much more complex

there will be, IMNTBHO, billions upon billions crowding the PM trade, if only as a pair to some other sector, or maybe as a position in and of itself

either way, I am encouraged to believe that my stake in junior miners and explorers and developers is a sound one

I hope.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Gold stocks of the 30's vs. today"