Some Questions - Any Answers?

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
California Lawyer
California Lawyer's picture
Hat Tips: 21685
Some Questions - Any Answers?
By request, I started this forum.  Let's see if we can reason to some compelling conclusions . . .

1. Do the reported gold reserves held by Central Banks REALLY exist?

2. Do the reported silver bars held by CME REALLY exist?

3. Why would the Bernank reply to Ron Paul that gold is not money, but is rather, “tradition?”

4. How can the Greek sovereign debt be repaid?

5. What would really happen if the Greeks did not make a bond payment?

6. Are the drug cartels’ profits from illegal drug sales held as fiat in the banks, or as  something else?

7. Among the powers that be, who is really calling the shots?

8. Are the powers that be running the show by a management-by-committee-approach?

9. Can a small-fry citizen of the USA do anything productive to avoid the impending calamity, or is the citizen just along for whatever happens?

10. If there really is a shit hits the fan moment, and the system crashes and collapses like Bix Weir, et al., proclaim, are the average Americans capable of surviving without enduring unspeakable atrocities and suffering?

11. Will the ensuing authority, in whatever form, group or organizational manifestation it becomes after the great societal collapse really physically seize physical gold and silver?

12. How will all of us Turdites communicate once the great collapse takes place?

13. Should we try to set up a meeting to actually get to know one another in person?

14. Should we at least try to set up some sort of regional structure?  If so, how, and in what form?

15. Would others volunteer to be part of an informational dispensary, in the event of a great collapse, so that there can be a trusted source of information which can be disseminated to the masses?

16. Is the USA the best place to endure the great collapse, or should one be considering an off shore solution?  If so, then where?

17. Can the US Dollar maintain world hegemony?  If so, how much longer?  

18. Which, if any, existing currency will take over the role as the world’s reserve currency?

19. Does there have to be a world’s reserve currency?

20. Can the world’s reserve currency exist as a digital accounting entry, in other words, the world’s reserve currency will exist solely as an intangible medium, and not a physical medium of exchange?

21. What role, if any, will the FED play going forward, no matter what scenario?
Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27

"To save yourself from all this that has happened and will continue to happen requires commitment and courage. You have it or you do not. Admit who you are and act accordingly."
Jim Sinclair, December 18, 2012.

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3271

I thought the illegal drug sales $ funded sea ,,  eye ... ei-(ght).,.  ops.

Learn to behave

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 11869
Question #1

I'll take a stab at answering (commenting) on a few of your questions, as time allows.

Question 1: Do the reported gold reserves held by Central Banks REALLY exist?

I contend that the Gold reserves of the Central Banks exist, but likely large portions of the reserves are leased and released out to numerous other parties through all manner of complex swap deals. Each ounce probably has several market participants that each believe they have legal title. This may be through ounces that sit in GLD or it may be through ounces that physically exist in the LBMA or the COMEX. If the price of physical Gold separates from the paper markets, then these "paper Gold" holders will demand physical possession and the fireworks will really start.

Bottom line - if the Central banks really hold (and I mean physically hold) any quantity of Gold, then I suspect whoever has physical possession and "controls" physical possession when the music ultimately stops, is the true owner. (All others with any paper connection to any ounce will be screwed.)

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
California Lawyer
California Lawyer wrote:

Light thinking for this relaxing Sunday . . .

1. Do the reported gold reserves held by Central Banks REALLY exist?

I'll take a shot at #1.  
We might never know.   Sooner or later somebody will have to issue some paper with some degree of gold backing,  and they might have to say just how much gold there is available for backing, but there's no way in hell that any real audit will ever be allowed.  It will be a "trust us" situation.  A "national security" issue.

If said paper really is backed by gold, there must be some avenue for conversion to gold (if there isn't, then it's a complete fraud from the start).   Push will come to shove when people start wanting to convert that paper to gold.  If too many want the gold instead of the paper, then that's when we start to get an idea of how much is actually present.  Because at some point they will halt redemptions.  At that point we will know there is at least a functional limit, a political limit, to the reserves, if not an audited real stack of bars.

But I'm thinking way, way down the road here.

[copied from Speakeasy comments - Mod. Jefferson]

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Xty
Xty's picture
Hat Tips: 28883
Okay Cali Lawyer - back on the tablet!

Man, and I was already feeling freaked out.  To answer only one of your excellent questions, I would be willing to share phone numbers with certain Turdites, only to be used in a crisis, obviously.

I have all of those questions swirling in my head and you have done a great job of separating them out.  I just don't think we have the answers - except maybe to #1 - No, there is no way they have as much gold as they claim - they are kiting it.

"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Conrad, Heart of Darkness

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 11869
@California Lawyer

Wow - that's a great list of questions - don't know if there are "real" answers to many of them - just more discussion and postulation. My mind is now racing everywhere - time for another coffee.

Xty
Xty's picture
Hat Tips: 28883
California Lawyer's Questions

#3 - because the question makes him angry.  If Ron Paul is right, then Bernanke is wrong about his infinite ability to control the amount of money, and hence inflation, etc.  Bernanke's only tool, really, is the money supply - grow it or shrink it.

#4 - slowly, over time like German war reparations, but only if they are allowed out of the Euro.  They will face hardship, but they won't be ruled by Germany and/or Brussels.

Just going off the top of my head - not wedded to my analysis - too confused for that! 

"You can't breathe dead hippo waking, sleeping, and eating, and at the same time keep your precarious grip on existence."
Conrad, Heart of Darkness

foggyroad
foggyroad's picture
Hat Tips: 6154
Active mind, engaged questions

​No shortage of conversation, sitting in the 12 ft aluminum, pint in hand, trolling along at 4 knots, with You CA!

1/ Who has the Gold, All depends on which counterparty You ask, seems to Me about the only answer anyone can give

2/ Similar answer, commingled with SLV would be my Guess ,BoE,LBMA.

3/rhetorical ?

4/back to devalued drachkma

5/Iceland...... Smoke now eminating from earholes...must lay down ...   :0)

humbleprofits
humbleprofits's picture
Cal. Lawyer

#16. Is Us best place to be in case of melt down, or is there an off shore option?

I think if the US went down, there really would be no great place to ride it out.  If the US goes down, I feel China follows shortly after.  Europe would die days after based on their already weakening position.  I have thought about this and think the best strategy would be defending the area you know.  If you are in Dayton, stay there.  If you are in Vancouver, stay there.  At least you are familiar with the geography and eliminate that as an unknown. 

If you can find a deserted island with a water source, bring some chickens, goats and seeds.  That may be the best way to avoid the Zombies.  Oh, don't forget the solar powered cd system so you can listen to your Speak Easy's Greatest Hits.

California Lawyer
Some Thoughts on The Questions

​Eric, XTY, ReachWest: thanks for weighing in.  I was hoping to spark a discussion, to just try to flesh out some analytical viewpoints, so that we all can crystallize our thinking.  I find that by putting the question in writing, and trying to respond in writing, this process tends to focus one's thinking.  And, by reasoning to whatever conclusions one can reason to, then that may lead to solutions to other problems which seem unsolvable at the moment.

So, the first question, whether there is really any gold held in reserve at all, seems to me to be  THE QUESTION, in legal speak, the sine qua non.  Why is that the case?

Eric, and XTY, I agree with you both.

Let me reason through it.

Facts vs. Guesses:

1. There does exist some gold in reserve: FACT.

2. The total quantity of gold reported is actually less than what really exists: guess.

3. What are the odds that the quantity of gold reportedly in existence far exceed that which  is actually in existence?  I  find that possibility to be almost 100%.  WHY?

I believe that economic power originally rested in those who held the biggest quantities of gold, since gold was used to pay for the military to protect the holder.  Gold was the store of value.  It represented hard work, toiling of peasants on land owned by the rulers and his minions.  Think of the King's men who served the King.  Why would they serve the king? They were paid in gold.  If someone else held more gold, then that would have meant desertion.  Think of all the past wars, they were fought over resources.  On the scheme of things, Gold represents all of those resources, the store of value.   So, to me, it seems pretty  clear that whoever held the most gold was de facto in charge.

So naturally, think of the power that the banksters wielded long ago.  The banksters created the fractional reserve scam.  They could leverage small amounts into large amounts, and create the illusion of a greater quantity of gold than really existed. This illusion benefited the King, since it falsely allowed the King to fool other powers may have wanted to dethrone the King.  

Now, I am being a bit simple here, but the concepts of what I am laying out have been examined since recorded history.

So, what collapses the fractional gold scheme?

A gold run, for sure.  What else?

War does, since the soldiers will not risk life and limb for paper, but will do so for real assets, like land, or the ultimate store of value, gold.  But, what if the King musters an army, and cannot pay the soldiers in gold, what happens then?  Desertion, overthrow, coup, and the tried and true insurrection made possible by changing alliances.  

So, an neighboring King senses weakness, or has spies, or whatever.  That neighboring king then initiates battle, or war, or an insurrection, an uprising, or what not.  The king under siege, tries to pay the soldiers in fiat, but the soldiers refuse, and demand gold.  When gold is not forthcoming as payment, the regime collapses, and the neighboring king takes over.  Assets are plundered, land is occupied, etc.  The citizenry pays the price for the change in leadership.  New alliances are formed, power shifts.  Those in good graces of the new king are rewarded, those with old ties to the collapsed regime are eliminated.

The new King reigns for awhile, then resources run out, etc., or some other king desires to take what belongs to another king, and the whole pattern plays out again.

So, what happens to the gold over time?  Would not the new king seek to consolidate the gold holdings, to both prevent insurrection, and to allow for leverage via fractional reserve to create the illusion of greater power?  It sure seems obvious to me that this is the case, from time immemorial.

So, there is a great amount of effort placed to both acquire physical gold, and to maintain the illusion that the actual purportedly held is greater than that which is actually held.

Hence, I do not believe for one second that there exists the quantity of gold in the central banks’ reserves that they claim actually exists.  Note, this does not even touch on the gold leasing schemes as well, which lever up the claims of gold to even higher fictitious levels.

Since it seems obvious that it is advantageous to lie about the actual quantity of gold held in reserve, then why would anyone tell the truth about their actual holdings of it?

Indeed, it seems that it would be to one’s strategic advantage to purposely lie.  Take for example, China.  Would it not be to their great advantage to purposefully lie to the downside about their actual quantities of physical gold, and simultaneously try to collapse the dollar?  If they did so, then at some point in time, China could simply take over the world by declaring that only gold would be accepted as payment.  Since no one has any gold in the amounts claimed, China could immediately declare the yuan as the new hegemonic currency, no?  Would that not make China the new world ruler?

On this point, wouldn’t the banksters seek to assist the Chinese in managing their new status as having the world’s reserve currency?  So, would not the banksters not just ingratiate themselves into the soon-to-be-new-world-currency model?

The Chinese would welcome it, given the bankster’s expertise.  The banksters win again.  The rest of the world suffers through the transition, just like in the olden days.

But what about the US Military, the nukes, etc.?  I am drawing a fuzzy picture of this.  I can only guess, that without gold to pay the king’s men, and to this classification I include ALL federal govt workers who draw compensation (whether salary or retirement benefits) from efforts of taxpayers, the king’s men will ingratiate themselves with the new ruler, or find themselves aligned with the rest of the peasants who work the fields and toil for mere existence.

So, the king’s men will be taken care of by the banksters, who will use the king’s men to transition power to the new ruler.

So, in this regard, if the populace tries to make a bank run, it will be stopped dead in its tracks by the king’s men, simple as that.

In thinking of the king’s men, and the absolute power they wield, think of the IRS, the TSA, the border patrol, and the federal courts.  If you cross them, you are finished. Period.  

So, have I run astray in my analysis?  Or is my tinfoil hat fitting just right?

"To save yourself from all this that has happened and will continue to happen requires commitment and courage. You have it or you do not. Admit who you are and act accordingly."

foggyroad
foggyroad's picture
Hat Tips: 6154
The Question most perplexing to Me Is .....OT but...

Is time Linear ? I've been pondering this Question a long time as it has huge implications re. religion, 2012 prophecy, event acceleration, end times , spiritual awaking, frequency increase via cosmic/celestial body alignments Death and resurrection Physics and metaphysics.

I know it sounds silly to ponder this stuff, but I think this is at the center point of the "awakening evolution," that may or may not be happening to humans. I am not a Great Big Head, but as a Joe Shmo I think we are allowed to ponder?

I hope some smart folk here offer their thoughts, two heads are always better than one. Please feel no need to indulge Me, but any input pos. or neg. would be cool :)

diegeiro
diegeiro's picture
Hat Tips: 1244
Another Question

How much of the reported gold is really Tungsten, and whose vault is holding it?

I personally can't think of any SHTF situation without involving God, and of Revelations, and the true ending of this world as we know it. I don't expect everyone to share these thoughts, but I do desire the opportunity to speak of them/share them with others who feel the same way.

"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are." CS Lewis

RaRaRasputin
RaRaRasputin's picture
Hat Tips: 5730
@CL - Some questions

Whoa there - that's a big list of questions!

Seeing as some of the first ones have been considered I'll go for the double digit ones

12. Shill advocated buying a 56K modem which is what they used in the MENA when they took the internet down.  I have one.  How many others of us do? That would be one mode of communication.

13. Done but on a very small scale here in the UK where it is easier due to sheer small size of geography.  Phone no's as Xty suggested would be the next option.  I have a GoldMoney account and have all their contact numbers on file should they take the internet down.

Now I'll hand over to someone else & CL did you see the repatriation of Greek monies from Swiss banks question about legitimacy and legal recourse - I wondered if you might have some thoughts on this?

RaRa

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have.
Margaret Mead

survivalwstyle
survivalwstyle's picture
Hat Tips: 6888
CA law

damn brah. just damn.

sunday funday means i nEEd cold bEEr and a bolt W. pints are nice.

easy livin is right as long as it is wrong here is a song

enjoy everyday

Last Rebel
Last Rebel's picture
Hat Tips: 1646
@Ca Lawyer,#9

@Ca Lawyer,

#9 - Don't think the average person will be able to avoid the calamity but we can prepare for it which is what many of us here do. Being prepped will make it a bit easier to help your family and trusted friends. The rebuild will start in each one's community. Hope everyone is fostering good relationships with like minded people. Combining talents, skills and hard work will be the key to re-establishing a strong society. A strong nation is based on a sense of the national cuture of which the US has very little now due to the efforts of the Marxists or whatever you want to call them.

Multiculturalism, diversity, tolerance, etc are all designed to erode the fabric of American cultural values. Sorry but Lisa, Jane and their LGBT or whatever kid is not the kind of family that provides the backbone of the nation. It's not natural despite the MSM efforts to convince us otherwise. Mom, dad and the kids working together with other like families in their community utilizing the core values this nation was founded on is what will bring us back up. For now our ride into the gutter continues onward with strong leadership from the gov't.  

SteveW
SteveW's picture
Hat Tips: 7765
Communications
"12. How will all of us Turdites communicate once the great collapse takes place?"

I have thought about this. Assuming we still have electrical supply but the internet is taken over by TPTB, communication is still possible by devolving to a situation similar to what existed when I first went online in 1979.

Newsgroups existed then and still exist. Propagation was between mainframes by telephone modems during overnight hours when time was cheap.

Now I can see all my neighbours' wireless systems but they are password protected. If TPTB censor the internet a smart technophile will write a progamme for P2P communication using this system of overlapping existing personal wireless systems and tfmetals will devolve to a newsgroup. That plus encrypted landline telephone connections should enable the underground.

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
― Albert Camus

Vernon Wormer
Vernon Wormer's picture
Hat Tips: 1021
CA Lawyer

Thanks for putting your questions in writing. After reading them I realized that some were my questions also.

I like very few people and trust even less but the posters in the speakeasy have a certain quality that not only lead me to like but also to trust them. My family (not the wife and kids) thinks I'm nuts and only one close friend and business partner is on board with pooling resources and expertise.

Depending on the time frame and scale of the impending collapse, we are looking at the coastal range of Oregon for a retreat. The land is still relatively cheap (lots of distressed properties), the fresh water is abundant and the people are genuinely friendly. We are looking at about a year to make this happen but we do not know if things will hold together that long. My wife and I both work in public education and the local paper just reported that our district is 36 million in the hole and may not make payroll. If it looks like the S will HTF quickly we will hook up trailers to our vehicles and run like hell.

Either way, if there is anyway that my family can assist anyone from the speakeasy, let me know. We will help if we can. No questions asked.

Reach west - that was just too damn funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Tom L
Tom L's picture
Hat Tips: 6766
@SteveW: Communiciations

And if we need to do business, Bitcoins will substitute for dollars in the electronic currency market.  Seriously, people, having watched Bitcoin from the beginning I'm impressed with how far the infrastructure has com in the past 18 months.  These guys are serious, dedicated and anti-authoritarian to the core. 

P2P digitally secure money whose encryption gets stronger the more people use it. 

read about it here: www.bitcoin.org

Watch the stock market in Bitcoins at www.mtgox.com and www.bitcoincharts.com

If you are serious about creating privacy for yourself this is a mechanism.  They've already survived a drug money laundering episode, the DoJ trying to infiltrate it, etc.  I wouldn't put/keep a lot of money in that system, but a small bit ($100 - $200) or so isn't a bad idea.

Ta,

-- Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.

Need Goats or Chickens? Say hello at: www.facebook.com/PirateDogAcres

California Lawyer
#7 - Who Is Really Calling the Shots

I think I have figured this out.  It finally dawned on me.  It is so easy, yet so complicated, depending upon how one chooses to view the question.

Here we go:

Since humans essentially conduct world commerce, that is, the exchange of resources between nations all across the globe, based on a fiat system, which is itself a fraud, then the entire population of trading partners know full well the stakes as they themselves realize that nothing is backing the fiat but empty promises.  So, the means of exchange is not too important really, so long as everyone agrees to play by those rules and exchange worthless fiat for worthless fiat, based on a determined world order of things.

So, naturally, this presumes that there are some truths to this scheme, or else the system collapses, to no one's benefit, which is why the system is automatically going to do whatever is required to maintain stability. This means that actors who cause instability are likely to be removed from the system, simple as that.  This is about as simple as the story about the emperor wearing no clothes.  No one can dare be allowed to speak the truth.

So, another truth is that supposedly, resources belong to those who actually possess them.  But is this really the case?

If it were true, then would not gold be the ultimate resource to possess?  Sure makes sense, correct?

But, is the ultimate resource physical GOLD, or who controls physical gold?

Again, it matters not what is actually in one's possession.  What matters is the illusion of possession, or more importantly the ability to coerce compliance with the illusion of possession by force.

So, who would that be?  Ummm, let me think . . .

Who is the only country to drop nukes on civilians?

Who is deployed militarily on all continents, all over the world, including Australia?

See, easy, huh?

The US military complex, funded by US dollar hegemony, is the force coercing compliance with the illusion of possession of resources, including physical gold.

Who then, controls the military complex?  The President of the USA along with the psychophants in congress.

Who gets the pres and congress elected?  Big money.

Who has the big money?

Who has the big printing press?

Who runs the Fed?

Who is backing Bernanke?

Voila!

Am I right?

If so, then what chance on earth does Ron Paul have in ending the Fed, or of getting close to doing so?

I pray for Ron Paul.

And, this simple truth explains EVERYTHING.

The FED will not allow a global system collapse to occur at once.  It must be managed, and it will be managed.  The death throes will not be pleasant.  Old friends will become bitter enemies.  There will be sacrificial lambs.  Corzine comes to mind.

Regulators will come and go, like Chilton, who will soon face a scandal and resign, mark my words.  He has strayed too far from the ranch, and will be hunted.'

Anyhow, I have posted my conclusion.  On to the next question.

California Lawyer
Fantastic Link - Great Read Tying Drug Money with Central Banks

http://www.mmnews.de/index.php/english-news/6326-drugs-money-and-central-banks

From poster evolutionx at Zerohedge, here.

Be Prepared
Be Prepared's picture
Hat Tips: 22642
Great List of Questions CL

I'll take a crack at this Question..

12. How will all of us Turdites communicate once the great collapse takes place?

If TPTB pull the plug on the internet.....in all honesty it would be nearly impossible for most Turdites to communicate because of the following reasons:

(A)  The design of the web today makes its very difficult to rely on the use of a 56k modem....with all the pictures and video.  But, more importantly, if the government has turned off the internet....they have turned off the DNS (Domain Name Servers) which, unless you know the ips of every website you want to go to...would make it very difficult to find them or resolve your browser onto the home page.

(B)  Back in the day.....when I was using a 1200 baud modem....you could dial into BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) to communicate with others.  In its day, it was fantastic, but no graphics.  Very few people run pure BBS in the traditional sense such that they are not connected on the web, but rather are just a phone number to dial into.....I remember they used to sell a BBS phone book.

(C)  If the government kills the internet or it goes down, its equally probable that they will kill all forms of telephony, including cell phones.

If we were serious about making a plan B for communication with our fellow turdites to serve as a community during and after a chaotic event, then we would need to set up a traditional (phone number based) system and periodically test it.  Just some quick thoughts...

Plan for Tomorrow, but Work your Plan Today

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Some Questions - Any Answers?"