ASEs leave me cold. . .

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
ASEs leave me cold. . .

I will buy ASEs when I get them close to spot (within a couple bucks) on the Bay.  But I mostly buy silver dollars.  I LOVE the ASE proof coins and would buy them preferably if I could get them anywhere close to spot.  But, of course, that isn't going to happen.

Something about the finish on the bullion ASEs just looks cheap to me.  So I buy lots and lots of silver dollars, whenever I can get them cheap.  But I also love walking liberty halves -- so it is not the pattern on the ASE that leaves me cold, just the finish.

Anyone make rounds with a mirror finish that sell near spot?  I might have to start collecting those. . .

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08
Gil
Gil's picture
Hat Tips: 1175
I don't especially care for

I don't especially care for the finish of the ASEs either, but I like them if the price is less than $5 above spot. I guess lots of people like ASEs so they tend to be expensive. Unless you're buying from individuals, you just can't find ASE's or any other bullion coins at a price close to spot. Any time you can buy a 1-oz. silver coin near spot, consider yourself fortunate. Morgan and Peace dollars are a good way to go, they have many nice looks depending on wear and they feel/stack nice too.

Just today I ordered a tube of 25 1-oz. silver maples (2011), which I think have a beautiful mirror-like finish. I was thinking about buying a tube of 20 ASEs, but I started looking at the prices and thought better of it. Maybe next time. The best price I could find for 20 ASEs at APMEX was $38.18 per coin (2011) while the Maples only set me back $36.48 per coin. Every other 1-oz. coin or round they had was at least $1.00 more than the Maples.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "ASEs leave me cold. . ."