Please Introduce Yourself Here...

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moderator Jane
Moderator Jane's picture
Hat Tips: 3501
Please Introduce Yourself Here...

New to TF Metals Report? Or even if you aren't new... Introduce yourself here! 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:47

Moderator Calamity Jane helps keep Turdville free of trolls with her digital sharp-shooter!

Fr. Bill
Fr. Bill's picture
Hat Tips: 2195
Otaaaaaay, I'll go first

Is this not weird, to be the first?  Did a former "Hi, I'm new!" thread get trashed somewhere back there?

Anyway ...

I'm the vicar of a small Anglican parish in the Southern Provinces of North Texas (vague, I know). I'm married to the only woman I've ever married, and have four daughters, the youngest about to launch into marriage sometime next year.

I've never had much to invest/protect until Dad passed on to glory and left my brother and me a small inheritance.  Prompted by that to begin learning about investments generally, I became increasingly disturbed by our nation's debt problems and the impact it inevitably will have on that small inheritance.  

Beginning last year, I went into full head-for-the-hills mode (fiscally; I still live in our home, still shop downtown, etc.).  That meant firing the broker I inherited with the inheritance from Dad.  When I got everything rearranged (fiscally, that is), I had about a third of my assets in income-producing real estate, and the rest (excepting an operating cushion) in PMs.  

It's my interest in PMs that brings me here, via Zero Hedge's blogroll.  I've dabbled in gold-silver ratio trading until the GSR kept dropping after I was all-in with gold.  I could go back to that now, but the volatility of silver presents a more attractive target for trading.

I've got two Bullion Vault accounts now, one for myself, a second which contains all the assets of an IRA I inherited from Dad.  Compounding from silver trading has a much bigger effect when it's tax sheltered, dontcha know. cheeky

Oportet ministros manus lavare antequam latrinam relinquent.

Shill
Shill's picture
Welcome all New comers to the

Welcome all New comers to the Best PM site this side of the wide world web.

www.tfmetalsreport.com/

About me: Hi my name is Shill, and I am a  TF Metals-oholic

You will see me around on the site occasionally.

Enjoy your stay.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Hau
Hau's picture
Hat Tips: 213
Daily Reader

Hi,

I'm a daily reader but not much of a poster.

I bought my first set of Gold/Silver coins in 2008 after having read James Turk's "The Coming Collapse of the Dollar" and I've recently started stacking a few months ago. I'm very new to the Gold/Silver space so look forward to the daily comments to connect the dots between headlines and price movements.

Thank-you to those on the leaderboard for their contribution! I hope that I may add some value in the future posts.

Hau

¤
¤'s picture
Hat Tips: 92321
Welcome aboard!

Wade right in and check the forums out and I'm looking forward to whatever you contribute or inquire. I think you'll find the community very helpful and hopefully it serves as a base of knowledge for what brought you here in the first place.

You'll notice the pulse of the community typically reflects what your feeling and seeing all around and sensing for the most part. I hope you become part of the pulse and fabric of the community that TF set out in his original vision for the website.

Collectively  we can learn, share, keep ahead of the game of life and make a few FRN's and stack metal in no particular order.

See you around cool

An epic lack of foresight, accuracy and humility over 3 1/2 years ago. Once a pumper, always a pumper!
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/170246#comment-170246

Perfidious Albion
Perfidious Albion's picture
Hat Tips: 2324
Hi all. Been on the board for

Hi all. Been on the board for a month or so after lurking on the old site. Got into PMs a  coule of years ago when my partner and I scored a fistfull of silver etf's got intrigued after the drive bye last April been reading and researching ever since.  Made more than a few mistakes along the way but hey omelettes and eggs.  I dont learn as fast as I think I can.. 

Based in southern England a child of the sixties, run sound systems for fiat proud to be a member of the Funktion One rental network.. http://www.funktion-one.com/ hoping to get out of the noise game and turn my hand to Pm's for a retirement project.. finger crossed.

A humanist by heart I love people and the world...

Anyway thanks Hombre Turd and all the posters on this board.. top turn all round.. 

Humble newbie listening and learning.
A lemming doesn't last long these days..

ccarroll
ccarroll's picture
Hat Tips: 348
NYC newbie shyly seeking advice

I just ran across your forum, and hoped that maybe some of you could point me in the right direction.

I've recently unearthed an informal coin collection started decades ago, not rare collectible coins, but mostly just ordinary coins (mostly quarters and half-dollars) from the era of silver, which I gather is pre-1965, plus a jumble of foreign coins.  On top of that, I'm winnowing out some inherited gold jewelry that I don't want.

I'm hoping that in one of these forums, I might get some pointers.  I had previously sold some gold jewelry in Manhattan and discovered a huge range of prices - just some quick shopping (mostly in the jewelry district on West 47th) uncovered a variation of 30%.  So I'm hoping for someone more knowledgeable than I am.  Should I split this up into different forums here?  These are my main questions:

1)Does anyone have a recommendation of particular places in Manhattan that would give me the best prices for silver coins or jewelry?

2)Someone suggested to me that I look directly for a buyer on the coins to bypass a retailer. Is this realistic, given that these coins aren't at all rare? If so, what would be a good route? (I don't buy-sell in online places like Ebay, but I could post in places like Craigslist.)

3)Are there websites I should check for the shifting value of silver/gold?

Thank you in advance for any help.

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
Hi ccarroll

Welcome.  I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions:

1)Does anyone have a recommendation of particular places in Manhattan that would give me the best prices for silver coins or jewelry? -

Check the Bullion & Coin Dealers Forum

2)Someone suggested to me that I look directly for a buyer on the coins to bypass a retailer. Is this realistic, given that these coins aren't at all rare? If so, what would be a good route? (I don't buy-sell in online places like Ebay, but I could post in places like Craigslist.)

My best advice to you is to HOLD onto that 90% Junk Silver.  It is one of the (if not THE) best physical silver investments and many (most?) here probably own some.  You will want it in the future when the dollar is losing more and more value by the day/hour/minute.

3)Are there websites I should check for the shifting value of silver/gold?

Tons - check out these to get started:

http://www.coinflation.com/

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

ccarroll
ccarroll's picture
I appreciate the forum and

I appreciate the forum and site tip.  I'm sure you're right that many/most forum members own silver, but mine wasn't an official investment collection, just a family heap that I'd forgotten about - and, sadly, I need money now.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try posting more specifically in other forums.

ccarroll
ccarroll's picture
I appreciate the forum and

I appreciate the forum and site tip.  I'm sure you're right that many/most forum members own silver, but mine wasn't an official investment collection, just a family heap that I'd forgotten about - and, sadly, I need money now.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try posting more specifically in other forums.

Holger
Holger's picture
Hat Tips: 117
Howdy from Denmark

"There's something rotten in the state of Denmark . . . !"

Shakespeare said something to that effect in his play "Hamlet".

Well, it is also very true in Denmark today. Our government is overspending and in dire debt. Although that probably wouldn't mean much to the world as we are a small country, it means a lot to us. It's especially bad as the rest of the western world seems to be in huge trouble too, although some more than others.

Anyway I'm retired with only limited funds and just poking around to see what's going on.

So greetings from Denmark

MonkeySmoke
MonkeySmoke's picture
Hat Tips: 725
@ccarroll

1) I have a lot of luck at pawn shops, local coin shops and flea markets. Not sure how Manahattan works but in the south that's how we git-r-dun!

2) I have found Craigslist to be a on the high end of the premiums. Gainsvillecoins.com is a good resource with low premiums. milesfranklin.com is a good resource as well, at least both these have worked for me. Also, check firstmajestic.com they are a silver miner and sell direct. They do have a premium but it is in line with the other sources that I have mentioned.

3) pretty much answered this in 2.

Hope this helps and welcome to Turdville, home of the Turdites; led by the Turd, because Turd knows his sht!

s2man
s2man's picture
Hat Tips: 721
My first post

Hello Turdites,

I figured this is the appropriate place for my first post, so here's a little about me:

I'm a prepper. 10% of my income goes into savings, which means into prep'ing.  10% of that goes into silver coins.  The remainder goes into other things physical.  Any windfalls (bonus, tax refund, 401k withdrawal, etc.) also go into savings.

After recovering from the 2008 crash (dollar cost averaging worked very well for me in my 401k) I dumped all stocks and switched to PM's.  I made a nice 40% in gold and an excellent 135% in silver.  I've been making the maximum withdrawal from the 401k each year, ever since.  I take the 10% penalty, figuring the historically low income taxes will more than make up for certain future tax increases.

I bought some gold bullion when I first started prep'ing, but sold that last year and switched to silver coin-of-the-realm.  I continue to swap FRNs for silver coins monthly, for several reasons: It has a commonly known value.  It is denominable (I can make change at the SHTF barter fair). And it is easily recognizable by the populace (unlike bullion or gold coins, which are being counterfeited).

So here I am, trying to keep the pulse on PM's.  Turdville has had many recommendations over on ZeroHedge, which I monitor daily. Um, make that constantly. I'm sure I won't be dissappointed.

Ganja Jane
Ganja Jane's picture
Hat Tips: 553
"La cucaracha, la cucaracha, Ya no quieres caminar..."

"La cucaracha, la cucaracha, Ya no quieres caminar, Porque no tienes, Porque le falta, Marihuana que fumar."

I am a mother of three. I cashed in my CD's and mutual fund accounts back in 2007 to support my kids. I am currently stacking silver, nickel, copper. I am very involved in politics. I am a photographer, musician, graphic artist and information junkie. I went to a fine arts school- it's a cool one but I'd give away who I am. I studied mathematics and various sciences in college which I did not complete and happily so. I worked 16 years for a non-for profit health organization. Luckily for me, the corporate brain washings didn't take.  All my life experiences lead me to my awakening in 20o6. Having been 'trapped' in a system I advocated for based on ' I might need it some day' has made me realize the true nature of our government. I was already politically active and after my experience in the system, I realized not only was I lied to, I advocated for it under the guise of altruism. 
I have been a coin collector since high school and that's when I learned about the gold and silver standard. I thought to myself: Why would anyone trade silver and gold for paper? Social Conventions suck. I don't do well with celebrity gossip and I hate sports. Having once been married into a BIG TIME football family- my ex-father-in-law played for Penn State and knows both Sandusky and Paterno, I am proud to openly reject it.

I am seeking to comfortably survive what is coming.
I read more than I post here. I comment more on Zero Hedge by the same name.

'The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world." -  Dr. Carl Sagan heart

"La cucaracha, la cucaracha, Ya no quieres caminar, Porque no tienes, Porque le falta, Marihuana que fumar."

DarkStar
DarkStar's picture
Hat Tips: 287
She comes out of the shadows......

Howdy all

Yup, I'm new. Been lurking and learning for a little while. I consider myself quite fortunate to have found this forum, and I can't begin to let you all know how much I appreciate what Turd has done here, as well as the insightful, provocative and often witty commentary of the "regulars." I am not in the trading "biz", not do I possess the basic knowledge of chart reading (for now), but I do believe, with all my heart, that our current financial system cannot sustain itself in its current form, and as such I too now hold the belief that stacking PMs is an essential way to preserve monetary "value."

I guess you could say I woke up and smelled the canned bacon :)

glock19
glock19's picture
Hat Tips: 131
First Post...

As you can see from my handle, I like guns too.  I have quite a few guns not only for protection, but as a store of value as it is hard to find a well-cared-for gun that ever depreciates significantly in price.  However, I have come to realize if I want to truly protect wealth, guns aren't going to get me there as fast as buying gold.  I guess I like gold for wealth protection an silver for transaction and bartering.  As such, I am currently buying gold  and silver in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 to one ratio.

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Welcome y'all

Good to see this thread being used, welcome all.

Dive in on the fun elsewhere, tons to read and participate in here.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

Chris P. Bacon
Chris P. Bacon's picture
Hat Tips: 1287
Great to be here, lots of

Great to be here, lots of good information distilled in one location.

Captain Slow
Captain Slow's picture
Hat Tips: 119
Down South where the Gold is!

Hi guys and girls from a sunny South Africa. Been following Turd and his great site for a couple of months now. Been playing in the Forex market for about a year and am getting into PM's where real wealth accumulation seems to be a worthwhile endeavor. As you can tell by my avatar I'm also a bit of a car nut and so far in my life any spare cash I've had has gone into cars and racing but everybody knows that is a bottomless pit so my priorities need some changing. I look forward to the great information provided by TF and the rest of you bunch! Cheers.

silverparatrooper
silverparatrooper's picture
Hat Tips: 543
Greetings from BFE Louisiana

Good evening all. I have been following this site, the old site and ZH for over a year now. I first got a taste of the "Real World" when I deployed to Iraq in 2003 with the 82nd Airborne Division. Coming from a relatively small town in "Cajun Country" I was appalled by the squalor and poverty of the middle east. The more people I interacted with the more it sank in, something is just not right here. After that gut check I enrolled in the local University. After changing my major numerous times I finally graduated with a Bachelors of Chemical Engineering(gotta pay the bills although I don't agree with the real world practice of refining oil which is how the discipline came into existance in the early 1900's). Shortly after entering the workforce at the young age of 30 I found myself almost buying a house head first. 

Well luckily I did not buy that house. After taking a new position at one of my previous company's competitors I began working a rotational schedule on an oil production platform. This is where I met the one guy who showed me the path to enlightenment. Harry  is the medic that works on the platform I service. Overtime Harry and I became friends, sharing ideas and he told me about the PM markets, after he turned me on to ZH. Soon after I stumbled upon the watchtower and now here I am. 

I finally was able to talk my wife into letting me take the plunge into PM's this year. I told her that we are holding it for 30 years minimum and that selling early to make a profit was not an option. She thinks I am a fanatic and that I let the world events come into my life too much but I don't care because I have to do all the worrying for 3 others and one on the way. 

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
welcome all especially

silverparatrooper

we are all deeply grateful for your service, I won't say to this nation, but to us, as your fellow Americans.  You have a home here, and a welcome one at that.  Our collective wisdom, being one of the greatest gifts of God, is at your service sir.

Dive in and participate, and glad you're here.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Please Introduce Yourself Here..."