All About Physical

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
Hat Tips: 549
All About Physical

I know all of you silver bugs out there have your favorite types of silver bullion and you probably have a million reasons for collecting the type of silver that you do. I would like to start a discussion on the pros and cons for various types of physical bullion. What kind do you collect? Why do you collect it? I'm partial to hand poured bars personally (I'm biased I know) What about you? Are you into 90% coins? Sterling? Premium silver? Generic silver bullion? Mixer? Throw in your $.02!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08

http://www.wheelersilver.com
~Handmade Fine Silver Bullion~

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
I like it all

I have some of all different kinds.........more 90% now, I think I now will switch back into eagles and Maples and some more numismastic.

rock collector
rock collector's picture
Hat Tips: 2216
All About Physical

1) 90%  I prefer bright shiny quarters and halves with little or no wear. I avoid significantly worn 90%, they aren't as pretty, weigh a smidge less and someday I might need to sell to a brand new silver investor and eye appeal might seal the deal. 
EF and better Roosevelt dimes (small silver denomination might come in handy) are starting to grow on me, however most Mercs (especially before 1935) have been worn too significantly. Walking Liberty halves are such a good looking, well known and nostalgic coin, I am still OK with getting them in average circulated condition and will check the dates. I still have a little coin collector in me. Coin dealers don't mind trading in these either.
2) Generic Silver rounds - I try to get the cleanest that are available at any given time. Better names do exist in this category such as Englehard but they are many designs and all are pretty much the same.  It's wise to make sure that .999 troy oz is marked on those you select. I prefer not to buy dirty or scuffed rounds, I might need to sell them some day when the market is not red hot.
3) Libertads, Onzas, Philharmonics, Maple Leafs, Silver American Eagles, grab em when the premium is the same as generic or just a bit higher on the MLs and SAEs. Personally, I am not keen on paying much in the way of premiums. Up until fairly recently we could find MLs for a mere .50 more than generics, but not lately. If a coin dealer gets a good deal and he/she knows you, they may pass along the bargain.
I am tickled pick when I can get SAEs with slight wear for the price of a generic. Ask your coin dealer if he ever gets them like that.
4) Kookaburras - I am trying to get the whole set and am almost there. Nifty looking coins. Premiums vary however.
5) Canadian Silver dollars - 80% silver, get yourself several of these pretty designs just for fun, hopefully paying just melt.
6) 5 and 10 oz bars stack and store conveniently although you will run across odd poured shapes and sizes occasionally. Probably better to have a known brand name on these.

I'll let someone else pick up from here.
PS I think it's very interesting to reflect on the fact that not so long ago, everyone walked around with silver in their pocket or purse.

wanab
wanab's picture
Hat Tips: 43
the selection of available

the selection of available silver is less than half what it was a year ago. i wish you the best of luck. things seem to be going down hill with platinum and palladium getting hard to come by. silver is looking to follow...

rock collector
rock collector's picture
Hat Tips: 2216
re: the selection of available

I think lower availability is a natural reaction to the sudden price drop from $40 to around $30. Dealers need time to buy inventory at the new lower levels. If I was a dealer, I wouldn't be in a hurry to make available any silver that I had bought at the higher level. I would just set it most of it aside and just wait. 

Jrandom
Jrandom's picture
Hat Tips: 28
My favorite is.....

Hand-poured Wheeler Silver Ingots! wink

wanab
wanab's picture
Hat Tips: 43
rock collector wrote:I

rock collector wrote:

I think lower availability is a natural reaction to the sudden price drop from $40 to around $30. Dealers need time to buy inventory at the new lower levels. If I was a dealer, I wouldn't be in a hurry to make available any silver that I had bought at the higher level. I would just set it most of it aside and just wait. 

i agree with what your saying about the dealers.

as for availability it has been declining the whole time. its not something unique to the latest dip. you may need to look deeper than a pigeon hole to see it.

WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
LoL Jrandom

Ya I love our stuff too! I've always been fond of the hand poured look, reminds me of some type of pirates booty, Yar! LOL I'm definetly into sterling as well... Can usually find some good deals on ebay or at estate sales. But for the stuff I want to keep on my desk at work as eye candy for my clients. It's WheelerSilver all the way baby :)

WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
Eagles Maples?

I used to collect eagles and maples but I got tired of investing in those government mints by paying the premiums. I love the silver fundos not the mint fundos. Anyhow, I don't go for maples or eagles anymore but if you do, more power to you.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
My secret little pick up that

My secret little pick up that no one else seems to want are 2010 and 2011 ATB silver quarter proof sets. A few here and there over time when the price is right and, boom, you have a whole box of them. I've seen old, crappy Washington's that don't even make weight anymore go for higher premium many times. 

I also love the cinco peso.

Other than that I have a bit of everything. You never know what's going to be hot and demands a higher premium in the future, so it's a good idea to be well diversified IMHO.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Gold Smart
Gold Smart's picture
Hat Tips: 8
Maple Leaf

You gotta love the maple leaf for its purity and liquidity!

http://www.goldsmart.co.nz

WheelerSilver 2
WheelerSilver 2's picture
Hat Tips: 16
gotta love it!!

I am a co-owner of WheelerSilver( brother John), and I am partial to hand poured bullion also, obviously. I do however love my stack of Canadian grizzlys!!! They are very nice, and unique too. You don't see too many of them floating around...for resale anyway. Keep stacking that silver!!!
Http://www.wheelersilver.com

John
WheelerSilver

WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
Grizzlies / Proof sets

I am SO jealous about those Grizzlies! I go to buy one on ebay and they are going for more than 46 bucks! And that reminds me Dr Durden, I have a 2011 90% silver proof set in my silver stash too, very nice looking if I do say so myself. 

Jules Marcel
Jules Marcel's picture
Hat Tips: 1
Silver Bullion

As a managing partner of a precious metals firm EurAsia Financial, I highly advocate and invest myself in circulated Morgan Silver Dollars. They are very liquid, low premium over spot, recognized worldwide and easy to store.

http://www.eurasiafinancial.com

WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
Morgans over Kennedys?

Would you say that Morgans are more recognized than Kennedys? I know that Kennedys are usually closer to spot than Morgans and I like the smaller denominations, but Morgans are good too. I'm a big believer in 90% silver coins for their low premium and popularity. The best part about 90% though honestly is that you can take a bunch of them and clink them around in your hand without worrying about scratching the finish. =]

WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
By the way

It's important to own PHYSICAL... once SHTF paper will be worthless. Fiat CAN NOT be trusted. That includes everything fiat including paper shares of SLV!! Don't worry though, the fed hasn't found a way to print silver bars yet. 

stoneeh
stoneeh's picture
I collect Element 47,

I collect Element 47, Argentum, also known as Silver. Which shape it comes is irrelevant to me as long as it's compact, thus easy to store.

Having said that, your bars/ingots do look very nice ;).

donpaulo
donpaulo's picture
Hat Tips: 3413
I don't discriminate when it

I don't discriminate when it comes to silver

coins, bars, paper you name it I have it

I would say my favs are

Perth Mint 100oz bars

and

Maples

WheelerSilver
WheelerSilver's picture
Wooo! Element 47!

We put a lot of blood sweat and tears into our element 47 over at WheelerSilver I have to tell you! (Figuratively speaking of course! Wheelersilver is 999 baby!) I know our stuff has been a bit pricey lately and we are planning on lowering that VERY soon so we can be a little bit more accessible to most folks. Oh and yes I love Perth Mint stuff, the 100 oz bars are no exception. My all time personal favorite piece of 999 (other than our own brand of element 47) has got to the the Canadian Grizzlies... those things are PREMO!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "All About Physical"