Tonight's debate...

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
TPaine
TPaine's picture
Hat Tips: 413
Tonight's debate...

Anyone else watch it.  I thought Paul did great. He lost the audience when Israel came up but everything else he said was well received by the audience..  Cain's done, imo.  Being uninformed isn't a good quality for a presidential candidate.  Perry made a valiant effort to put in a bottom, but failed spectacularly.  Romney was slick and polished, as usual. The audience seemed to accept his answers tonight and the Mormon thing didn't seem to hurt him too much. He gained some serious ground tonight.  Bachmann, I dunno...  she won some, she lost some. Newt, the master debator, had his facts straight and was calm, cool and collected.  Santorum, he sure don't like him no Romney, do he?  that's all I remember about him from tonight.

After it was done I was on twitter and noticed Ron Paul was trending #4 in my area (Boston), so I did an informal scan of twitter trends for some various cities to see if what was happening elsewhere:

(read from bottom up. I've included every city I checked that had at least 1 candidate showing up.)

Phoenix - #6 trend, Cain #8, Newt #9
Portland - , Mitt, Newt, Cain, #6, 7, 8, and 9
Richmond - #5, Cain #7
Sacramento - , Romoney, Cain #'s 5, 6 and 7
San Antonio - #4, Cain #6
San Diego - #5 Cain, #6 , #9 Perry
Bachmann #6 in San Fran...
, Cain, Romney, #'s 5, 6 and 8 in Seattle
#6 trend in St. Louis, Cain #8
Bachmann #5 in D.C. hmmmm...
#4 trend in New Orleans, Cain #6 and Perry #7...
Bachman #9 in Los Angeles..
#6 in Vegas! Cain and Romney 7 and 8...
#7 in Houston, Romney 8 and Cain 9...
and NY...
Bachmann #4 in Philly?
#7 trend in Boston!
Overall I'm thinking Paul did great, but Romney will be the anointed one after tonight, although I think  Newt might challenge him for that spot down the road.   Bachmann and Cain will be around for a while, but both their stars are falling, imo.  Perry's and Santorum's as well, but I think they're just about done.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:22

(I'm not a nimble day-trader. Cash account, no margin and settlement periods makes swing trading more my style)

TPaine
TPaine's picture
and by the way, moneybomb

and by the way, moneybomb starting at midnight! Black THIS out!

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/pages/mbpledgebto.html?pid=1018

http://www.blackthisout.com/

(I'm not a nimble day-trader. Cash account, no margin and settlement periods makes swing trading more my style)

backseatdriver
backseatdriver's picture
TPaine

As of late, you are one of my "go to guys" keeping us abreast and dissecting this for us. Thanks. I cant stomach watching MSM anymore, so I have to rely on the commentary. Nice job.

BSD

"Blessed are those who find wisdom,those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold" Prov 3:13-14

TPaine
TPaine's picture
Thanks!

Thanks!

CreditCrumbs
CreditCrumbs's picture
Hat Tips: 2435
Comparing Candidates

Here are things that I saw in this and past debates that are not convincing, and do not pass my logic sniff test. The candidates have need serious explaining to the people.  

• Rick Perry: Gardasil (Merck windfall), tuition breaks for illegals (while talking tough on illegals). 
  • Mitt Romney: Romney-care (mandating people to buy health insurance)
  • Herman Cain: 9-9-9 is not regressive (a lot of BS), 9-9-9 is not VAT tax (some more BS), we should blame gov (and let Fed + Wall Street get away scotch free)
  • Ron Paul: withdrawing military abruptly (will it not accelerate the fall of the empire?)
  • Bachmann, Gingrich, and Santorum: nothing memorable to me, so I didn't try to analyze it. 

Here are issues that I think super important and who address what:

• Curtailing the private banking cartel's control of government and money: only Ron Paul addresses it. 
  • Out-of-control government spending: Ron Paul looks credible. Romney looks credible in wanting to inflate entitlement away slowly (1-2% entitlement raise vs. 8-10% inflation rate). Other candidates don't care or have not prepared specific plans?
  • Skewed income distribution, top 1% controls 42% of all wealth: Romney's tax-free savings accounts for <200K income addresses this (but at slow speed), Ron Paul addresses this by removing inflation tax, Cain makes it worse (no cut in inflation tax, but increase in effective tax rates for poor & middle income), others have no plan except repealing Obamacare?
  • Trade policy (losing jobs to mercantilistic trade partners): Romney wants industrial policy and possibly tariffs, no credible plans from others yet. 
  • Integrity and honesty: Ron Paul shines here. He refused congressional pension plan because of his conviction that it hurt taxpayers. Body language expert says he does not lie (see video below). Others look only partly honest. Rick Perry looks most like snakes oil salesman, his logic self contradicts. 

Summary: Ron Paul is on the side of the people. He is my first preference. If he loses, I'll vote  Romney. 

Body language expert analyzes Ron Paul: 

Throwing Sliver...
Throwing Sliver Hammers's picture
Hat Tips: 354
BLACK THIS OUT

Black THIS Out Money Bomb for Ron Paul! October 19th

138 K first hour

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
GOP Candidates

Mitt Romney - BIG hypocrit.  The guy starts out with a violation of the debate rules by cross examining Herman Cain.  Then, he complains to Perry that he interrupts.

Perry - Calling Herman Cain a "brother"?  What a moron.

Santorum - last gasp

Ron Paul - The only sane guy in the house, except some of Cain's ideas.  He's also the only guy who's been on message consistently over 20 years.

Cain - The only minority in the house, literally, on stage and in the entire audience.  Does CNN send out invitations to any non-white viewers?  LOL.   Not that Cain cares... he's got no political experience in elected office.

Bachman - more like botched again.

what a joke of a debate

Throwing Sliver...
Throwing Sliver Hammers's picture
Hat Tips: 354
Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney reminds of  toddlers and tiaras

TPaine
TPaine's picture
"experts" declare Romney

"experts" declare Romney winner.

TeaParty declares "Romney and Perry still fake, Newt smart but not trustworthy, Cain wants taxes, Ron Paul most honest as usual."

http://windham.patch.com/articles/who-won-the-gop-debate-2074456dbedford-nh.patch.com/articles/political-experts-say-mitt-romney-won-last-night-s-gop-debate-but-was-ron-paul-the-most-honest

tko
tko's picture
Hat Tips: 91
Ron Paul did a great job last

Ron Paul did a great job last night, and he actually got a reasonable amount of time (probably due to the recent distribution of his economic plan).  It was pretty lame that they didn't let him give closing remarks like the others, though.  I  also thought it was pretty interesting that the other candidates seemed eager to talk to RP after the debate.  Don't know if you heard, but Rick Santorum started it off by walking over and pointing out "You didn't get to answer the last question" immediately after the debate ended.

I can understand that some people will disagree with Dr Paul's ideas, but his consistency is unquestionable.   Given their flip-flopping records, I don't see how anyone can feel confident that Romney, Cain, or Perry will follow through with their campaign promises. 

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
My thoughts FWIW: Perry - I

My thoughts FWIW:

Perry - I remember watching the space shuttle Challenger explode live on TV shortly after launch. I think it's a fitting analogy to Perry's campaign. He's done. Holy shit is this guy tone deaf.

Romney - I wonder if his face muscles hurt after two hours of practiced, forced smiling/poker face. The dude is a robot. I think he looked a little desperate at times tonight. He looked downright grateful that Paul didn't take the bait and hammer him on the Wall Street funding of his campaign.

Cain - Bwahahaha. He got raped. 999 didn't get mentioned again after the initial beatdown.

Santorum - Looked somewhat human tonight (he didn't froth at the mouth too much), but it doesn't matter. People already know he's not the guy.

Bachmann - Back to Congress. Thanks for the entertainment (Randy Travis @ Iowa straw poll).

Gingrich - Probably looking better to the GOP base as the other machine hopefuls expose their warts.

Paul - I know some have lamented some of his later answers re: Israel, but I thought he gave a very strong performance. Probably his best debate showing yet. He was passionate and forceful when he spoke. He didn't look like he was bored to be the only serious guy standing in the center ring of the circus while the others performed around him.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

TPaine
TPaine's picture
This ad ran a couple times

This ad ran a couple times just prior to the debate.  Good stuff...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Tonight's debate..."