Anybody Else Hoarding Light Bulbs?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Anybody Else Hoarding Light Bulbs?

Anybody else out there hoarding in incandescent light bulbs?   I think I've got about a 20 year supply, LOL.

Efforts to repeal the upcoming ban failed this summer.  But it's really become a political football more than a serious debate.

I like to save energy as much as the next guy, but I despise being told what to do.  I like what I like, and if I want to pay for it that's my choice.

http://www.rexelusa.com/pdf/V8N2/v8n2_SUSTAINABILITY-LightbulbBan.pdf

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/is-the-light-bulb-ban-a-bright-idea-6459591

http://www.frumforum.com/there-is-no-light-bulb-ban

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
I'm starting a new business

Beginning next year, I'm starting up a new business - LIGHT Inc. - Light-emitting Incandescent General Heating Technologies, Incorporated.

Our first product will be the ​Portable Heating Element (100 Watt), our initial product spec has this technology fitted into a nostalgic early 2000's retro light-bulb design.

I'm taking applications for co-investors now...

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Sweet

Sweet

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

steeled
steeled's picture
Hat Tips: 576
my dh thinks I'm a bit nuts

my dh thinks I'm a bit nuts (nothing new there), but YES, I've got a bit of an incandescent stash! I have lots of trouble with close up/fine detail work and also the way I view colors to work with when I use fluorescent bulbs (including full spectrum).  I also HATE being told what I can and can't buy/use in my own home, so I have a kind of "bite me" attitude that drives me, as well. That said, we do use the short squigglies, too, but only where I choose (yeah, bit of a control freak, too). cheeky

you get as good as you give

steeled
steeled's picture
very cool Pablo!

very cool Pablo!

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 11861
Major Bulb Hoarder..

I've been hoarding and collecting bulbs for the past 3 years - ever since it was announced that the Canadian Govt would be phasing out the incandescent kind. (I hate the curly bulbs, as light that they emit gives me a headache and nausea.)

I've got a sizeable stash of all the various types and wattages. Also have a small stash of the LED bulbs.

Anyway - I have so many, that it likely my kids will ultimately inherit a bunch of them. laugh

Drifter
Drifter's picture
Hat Tips: 1903
yep, stashed a bunch,

yep, stashed a bunch, including the twisties; they've tripled in price since I stashed them away in 2006 or so

tip, when buying the cheap incand at Walmart etc hold the box of 4 bulbs close to your ear and shake lightly. I hear a rattle of broken metal on 1/2 the boxes. They made them so cheap with such a thin filament they can barely be shipped without breaking.

the 95 watt at Walmart have been out of stock more often then not lately, it's obvious to me people began hoarding them a few months back, maybe late last year; prior to that there was never an empty shelf

jrobb316
jrobb316's picture
Hat Tips: 932
I have a bunch, need to get

I have a bunch, need to get more.  I asked an employee at Menards one day about the light bulbs and they said that when they go on sale, people come and buy them up (the incandescents).  Short and sweet article about the CFLs:

http://factoidz.com/are-compact-fluorescent-light-cfl-bulbs-bad-for-your-health/

Shill
Shill's picture
Been loading up on Light

Been loading up on Light bulbs since 03, not a fetish but something I read a while back just got me into buying them when I walked by the isle.

I save nickels as well lol

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Arjen
Arjen's picture
Hat Tips: 284
well

I buy them to make vaporizer pipes for DMT. 

Other than that I got some extra energy saving lights stacked for the future. Dont want to waste the energy from my solar panels when SHTF do i ?

Sure banning the old ones is a stupid idea, but if thats a reason for you to buy them ???

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34251
You never know when you'll

You never know when you'll need a solar alternative if the grid goes out like it did a couple of years ago. NASA is reporting that with increased solar flares we could see more of this. I thought this was lovely

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
I haven't, because I was an

I haven't, because I was an early adopter of the new bulbs.  They are great, in my opinion.  You can country mercury poisoning by taking selenium, for those who don't know.  Selenium binds irreversibly to mercury forming a nontoxic insoluble salt.

Sky
Sky's picture
Hat Tips: 2
Eric Original wrote:Anybody

Eric Original wrote:
Anybody else out there hoarding in incandescent light bulbs?   I think I've got about a 20 year supply, LOL.

Another hoarder here.   Aside from the headaches caused by the curly lights, I can't stand the idea of having to call a hazmat team if and when a bulb breaks.

However the way things are going, someday they'll probably institute mandatory home inspections.  Until then I've put together a pretty good supply of the old fashion bulbs.   You are not alone.

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man's picture
Hat Tips: 55
Yup, me too...

never in my wildest dreams (and I've had many!) would I have thought I'd be hoarding light bulbs, especially at my age....I should be hoarding aspirin bottles like grandma did.

“Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.”
― R.E. Invisible Man

NCdirtdigger
NCdirtdigger's picture
Hat Tips: 85
I got a few boxes of them in

I got a few boxes of them in the basement. Right next to my Cabbage Patch dolls.  :)

steeled
steeled's picture
bought some boxes of 6 100w

bought some boxes of 6 100w for $1.50 each at Big Lots today!! 100 watt woo-hoo!

it's the simple things in life isn't it? cheeky

Eternal Student
Eternal Student's picture
Hat Tips: 2162
No worries

I am absolutely not worried whatsoever about the old light bulbs disappearing. When I found out about that law, it was a concern. And yes, I did think about stockpiling. But we're talking about technology from the 1800's here, folks. It is absolutely dead simple to make these suckers.

What's more, it should be possible to make one which lasts decades. There's a light bulb at a fire station here in California that has lasted for about 90 years. I kid you not. So it is possible to make these things much better than our current corporate structure allows. Dead simple stuff.

Personally though, I am a HUGE fan of the LED lights. These are just freaking incredible! I've got LED laterns which use rechargable batteries, and these babies just last forever.

The one drawback with LED's is that they aren't as friendly to the eyes. But that's been changing, and with the current progress, I'm sure they'll eventually get there. So stock some up, if you must. But I think that you'll find the current lightbulbs to be too expensive to run in 10 years time.

wackzingo
wackzingo's picture
Hat Tips: 443
They do last forever

Maybe not forever but a cheap incandescent bulb can last 5-10 years easily. I have a bulb that has been on 24/7/365 (except for power outages) for 18 years. It's not the hours itself that causes the bulbs to burn out, it's the turning on/off that lowers their life is rated by hours.

steeled
steeled's picture
eternal student

There is no arguing they are less energy efficient and more expensive to use, but like I said further up, I use them where I need to for differentiating color and fine detail/up close work. I look forward to technology changing that fact (not there yet from what I have tried). The gov't mandates are just another example of Big Bro's Hand in our everyday lives and it twists my panties in a bunch!! They DO NOT KNOW BETTER for this consumer, so they need to BUTT OUT! 

Glad LED's work well for you. We added a downcan in our bath with 6 LED's and works well for that location (NOT around the mirror, tho wink), and several flashlights that are LED (they lighter weight and far brighter than standard, tho not as bright as the xenon we have), plus on the deck/in yard.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
wackzingo wrote: It's not the

wackzingo wrote:

It's not the hours itself that causes the bulbs to burn out, it's the turning on/off that lowers their life is rated by hours.

I think that's true with the flourescents as well.  If you have it in a fixture that has a lot of on and off, you won't get near the life span they claim on the package, and therefore nowhere near the cost savings, etc.  

Eternal Student
Eternal Student's picture
Hat Tips: 2162
@Eric

I agree that this particular interference is absurd (though, of course, had the Regulators done their job with Wall Street, we wouldn't be in the current economic mess that we are in today). This law smells more like there's an insider deal somewhere, which benefits the current light bulb manufacturers while shutting out the little guy.

But I think you miss my point.

Specifically, the way things work is that what will happen is someone will sell a kit for these bulbs. All it takes is a glass bulb, the wiring and a vacume pump. Such as a Food Saver vacume. An Open Source light bulb as it were, for those who really still want it. Dead trivial.

What's more is that this has the added benefit of by-passing the limits of the current Corporate structure. Namely, you can build a longer lasting bulb. Yes, as mentioned above, the problem of short life spans is due to turning on/off the bulbs, as it's hard on the filiment. But there is ZERO economic interest for the current companies to build a longer lasting bulb.

So this is an opportunity to come up with a better filiment and bulb. One that would last for far longer than the current ones.

Consider this a business opportunity for some enterprising fans out there. One could very well make money and keep the old tech alive.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Anybody Else Hoarding Light Bulbs?"