84 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moderator Jane
Moderator Jane's picture
Hat Tips: 3501
Herman Cain Topic

A topic to discuss Herman Cain.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:22

Moderator Calamity Jane helps keep Turdville free of trolls with her digital sharp-shooter!

Bozzz
Bozzz's picture
Hat Tips: 282
I know this is kind of off

I know this is kind of off topic, but others have brought it up.

The more I hear from Cain the more he captures my attention. He is not presidential looking, he’s not a polished orator, he’s not been groomed from birth to be president, and he says things that make sense!

THAT is exactly why I like him…and it doesn’t hurt that he has real world business experience, either.  Think about it, the president is a lot like being the CEO of the largest business in the world. Why have someone in there that does not have a clue on how to run one?

If what I see is what I get, sign me up!

TPaine
TPaine's picture
Hat Tips: 413
Love these guided

Love these guided conversations...  Gee, thanks for providing us with the appropriate ZONE to discuss this topic.  Imagine the chaos that would ensue if people started discussing Cain wherever they wanted.  Oh, the humanity!

(I'm not a nimble day-trader. Cash account, no margin and settlement periods makes swing trading more my style)

altman2
altman2's picture
Cain is crap !!!!

Herman Cain is an absolute globalist and Paul would never run with this liar. You got to be kidding me. Wasn't he part of the Federal Reserve in Atlanta? You need to do your homework before you suggest Cain on this site.

TreeTop Dweller
TreeTop Dweller's picture
Hat Tips: 762
Paul, Cain Discusses Former Fed Chairman Greenspan

Not Caring too much for Cain's response... Not sure he really understands the "big" Picture.

Watch the short video and audience reaction to both candidates.

Paul, Cain Discusses Former Fed Chairman Greenspan

Oct. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Republican presidential candidates Ron Paul and Herman Cain discuss former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan. They participate in the Bloomberg/Washington Post Republican presidential debate, in partnership with WBIN-TV and host Dartmouth College. Bloomberg's Julianna Goldman questions Paul and Cain. (This report is an excerpt. Source: Bloomberg)

Bay of Pigs
Bay of Pigs's picture
TPaine

Cain: former Chairman (Omaha Branch board 1989-91), deputy chairman (1992–94) and chairman (1995–96) of the board of directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

I guess the facts and the truth are dangerous territory to some people around here? 

Moderator Jane
Moderator Jane's picture
2012 election discussion belongs in the forums

Bay of Pigs wrote:

I guess the facts and the truth are dangerous territory to some people around here? 

No, but when you and cpnscarlet are starting to engage on a volatile topic on the blog, it's a good idea to move it to the forums before it gets out of hand.

As a general rule of policy the moderators will be asking for all 2012 candidate discussion to be moved to the forums, no matter who the candidate is.

No-one wants to wade through a bunch of campaign ads on the front blog page. Even if you like said candidate. 

Moderator Calamity Jane helps keep Turdville free of trolls with her digital sharp-shooter!

cris
cris's picture
Hat Tips: 3404
Cain has disqualified himself in my opinion

Cain: former Chairman (Omaha Branch board 1989-91), deputy chairman (1992–94) and chairman (1995–96) of the board of directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

EXACTLY.

It borders on extreme intellectual inconsistency for anyone to support the premise of this blog and still support Cain.

Separate the messenger from the message.  The message is that this candidate identified Alan f***** Greenspan as the model for a Fed Chairman -- and served under him.

Enough said.

CreditCrumbs
CreditCrumbs's picture
Hat Tips: 2435
Cain on Debate Tonight

I gave up discussing Cain with Stephanie and a few others. She wants to overlook what Cain says and what Cain's resume says to fit her own image of Cain. It's her choice, but I'd call it a blind faith. 

Back in 2008 election when many were supporting Obama, I read about his dealing with Tony Rezko and told my friends, "How can you ignore this? The man is corruptible and would do anything for money". But ignore it they did. Blind faith. (Not saying McCain was better, his wife "mysteriously" became wealthy when McCain became a senator.)

C F
C F's picture
Hat Tips: 716
Sorry but the whole 9-9-9

Sorry but the whole 9-9-9 thing sounds like a scam to me.  And what about all the states who already have sky high sales taxes?  Do you really think customers and retail business would go for a 18 to 20% sales tax?  I don't.  People won't go out and spend their money.

TPaine
TPaine's picture
Bay of Pigs wrote: I guess

Bay of Pigs wrote:

I guess so...  I have no problem with the mods wanting to keep political discussion off the main blog comments, it's just this care-bear handholding that irks me.  Here you go, children.  Discuss Cain HERE.  The thing is though, the issues we face are so intertwined it's difficult to draw the line.  When exactly does a conversation stop being about economics and start being about politics? 

(I'm not a nimble day-trader. Cash account, no margin and settlement periods makes swing trading more my style)

TPaine
TPaine's picture
CreditCrumbs wrote: I gave up

CreditCrumbs wrote:

I gave up discussing Cain with Stephanie and a few others. She wants to overlook what Cain says and what Cain's resume says to fit her own image of Cain. It's her choice, but I'd call it a blind faith. 

Back in 2008 election when many were supporting Obama, I read about his dealing with Tony Rezko and told my friends, "How can you ignore this? The man is corruptible and would do anything for money". But ignore it they did. Blind faith. (Not saying McCain was better, his wife "mysteriously" became wealthy when McCain became a senator.)

I think what we're seeing here is symbolic of the Ron Paul supporter/Tea Party divide.  Ron Paul supporters have "woken up" to the fact that politicians LIE and that their RHETORIC is meaningless hot air.  Tea Partiers have "woken up" to the fact that our economy fucked, but for some reason they think the same people who fucked it up can fix it.

TPaine
TPaine's picture
Paul vs. Cain on the Fed

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
No, not blind faith...

CreditCrumbs wrote:

I haven't overlooked it at all. I've tried to explain a number of times - and my point on this always gets completely ignored - that I don't think someone is necessarily evil or part of the "cabal" if they have a mainstream view of the Fed. As I've said, and I'll repeat this again: My father spent his entire adult life as a bank examiner for the Comptroller of the Currency, he's worked in Washington, he's dealt with the Fed, he hates the elite, and he doesn't think the Fed is the problem nor the source of evil in America.

I will trust my father, who has been somewhat "on the inside" for a long, long time, before I will believe anyone else. That's because he's my father. 

I understand the Fed is the crucial issue for most Ron Paul supporters as well as Alex Jones. I'm somewhat agnostic on the issue of the Fed, because I've heard arguments on both sides. Ultimately, I don't think it matters what institutions we have, because corruption is corruption, and you can corrupt a democratic institution as well. So if Congress manages our money, will that be any better? Not necessarily. 

As for whether Cain is an "insider" or not: He could be, but I am not convinced. Just know: I am not running on "blind faith" with him. There are many, many things I do not like about Cain, including his desire to completely throw out the EPA and his hardline stance on Muslims. He's a hawk as well when it comes to foreign policy.

I've explained before that I believe Romney is a tool of Wall Street (based on his donations), and we know Obama is one (based on his donations and who he put on his advisory team). The media has been pushing hard to promote Romney as the defacto winner, even with Cain's polls surges, and I think they do that because Romney's the choice of the elite.

I'm pragmatic and don't think Ron Paul has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. So other than Romney, we have Perry or Cain. Perry I'm not a fan of, and he will ensure another 4 years of Obama. So that leaves Cain. Who may or may not be an insider. You guys think you know for sure, but I don't think it's a given and I don't personally get that "vibe" from him. And I really think if he were the choice of the elite, the media would not still be gushing over Romney after every debate.

I happen to like the 9-9-9 plan - it's a precursor to the Fair Tax, and I have no problem with sales tax. Because it won't apply to food, and it would allow me to save more money. Rich people who want to spend $5,000 on a pair of designer shoes will be hit harder by a national sales tax and can't opt out of it with fancy accountants.

So for now, I will take my chances with Cain. I've even said to a friend today, that if, in the worst case scenario, Cain is another tool of the elite like Obama, at least I like Cain better personality-wise, he has an actual sense of humor, and he doesn't grate on me. The Democrats will hopefully drop all the race-baiting, which I feel is extremely damaging to our country for a number of reasons. So even a compromised Cain would actually be an improvement in my mind. 

Regardless, no matter who wins, I don't have high hopes they can actually fix anything. Not even Ron Paul. I have no idea how this will all play out but it won't be pretty. So does this election truly matter? I'm not entirely certain. 

CreditCrumbs
CreditCrumbs's picture
@Stephanie

I won't discuss Cain's resume with you. I've exhausted my energy on that. But I'll discuss 9-9-9 with you. The plan is the most regressive tax one can imagine. To propose such a plan at the time income and wealth are skewed to the top earners like in 1929 is a nutty idea. Let's compare a uber rich big capital owner Moron Buffet and Joe the tomato picker.

- Moron Buffet derives: 1% income, 99% capital gains, and spends 1% for consumption. Effective tax rate under 999: 0.18%

- Joe the tomato picker derives: 100% income, 0% capital gains, and spends 90% on consumption. Effective tax rate under 999: 17.1%

So don't call 999 a fair tax. In what way is it fair? Joe's tax rate is almost 100 times larger than Moron Buffet. Meanwhile, Joe the tomato picker provides food for our table, and labors under the extremes of weather. Moron Buffet sits back on his office, sips scotch and smokes cigar, and provides questionable contribution to society. 

CreditCrumbs
CreditCrumbs's picture
Need on forum for 2012 election

Moderator Jane, 

I have a request for you. Could you merge the influence of money on 2012 election forum and this one under just one forum? It is tiring to switch back and forth between two forums. Thanks. 

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Still less...

CreditCrumbs wrote:

- Joe the tomato picker derives: 100% income, 0% capital gains, and spends 90% on consumption. Effective tax rate under 999: 17.1%

That's still less than the 25% most average people would have to pay in income taxes. And if you want to save more, you will be taxed less on that money. I could care less what Buffet is paying, I am concerned about my own taxes. Buffet's money isn't anything but numbers in a computer anyway - I don't care how much extra money he has, as it does not need to affect me as long as I am able to do what I want to do.

BTW, the 9-9-9 is not the "Fair Tax." The "Fair Tax" gets rid of income tax entirely, which I support. 9-9-9 is designed to be a stepping stone to the Fair Tax. 

TPaine
TPaine's picture
I trust that I'm responding

I trust that I'm responding to Stephanie the Muckman, not Stephanie the Moderator...  ;)  Anyhoo, the thing about the Fed is that is a symbol of our flawed monetary policy, the Fed is the figurehead of Keynesianism that enables the welfare state and the warfare state both.  I actually agree with your father, the Fed isn't the root of the problem.  The root of the problem is Keynesian economic theory, the Fed is just the machine that keeps the corrupt game going. 

Moderator Jane
Moderator Jane's picture
Split topics

Good point, CreditCumbs - thought perhaps Herman Cain warranted his own topic, and will keep the Wall Street topic open for general discussion...and have made a note there pointing Herman Cain-specific discussion here. Thank you.

TPaine
TPaine's picture
stephanie wrote: The "Fair

stephanie wrote:

The "Fair Tax" gets rid of income tax entirely, which I support. 9-9-9 is designed to be a stepping stone to the Fair Tax. 

http://mises.org/daily/1814

Would love to hear if your opinion of the Fair Tax is the same after reading that.

backseatdriver
backseatdriver's picture
Be afraid

Very afraid of a fair tax. More wolf in sheeps clothing fodder.

BSD

"Blessed are those who find wisdom,those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold" Prov 3:13-14

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Herman Cain Topic"