Moderation Guidelines - Please Read

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moderator Jane
Moderator Jane's picture
Hat Tips: 3501
Moderation Guidelines - Please Read

We're creating new moderation accounts for our moderators that separate out their daily personalities from their moderation duties. We're doing this, in part, so that the moderation isn't confused with a moderator's personal views. Our moderators do their best to be objective, no matter what their personal opinions.

We're striving to make TF Metals Report a positive community where mutual support and constructive dialogue takes precedence over the destructive flaming you may see at other sites. With that in mind, please remember: This site is not a free-for-all. It is moderated to keep it civil and useful. By posting here, you agree to follow the community guidelines (http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/community-guidelines).

We've outlined the following moderation rules so you have a better idea of what tools the moderators may use:

1. MOVING THREADS TO THE FORUMS. The blog comments are not meant to be the "catch all" for any and all discussion. The moderators may, at their discretion, request that certain topics be moved to the forums. While we will allow for some topic drift in the blog, controversial off-topic discussions especially may be directed to the forums. This is not "censorship." It's simply the equivalent of asking the baseball team to take their game out to the diamond, instead of trying to do it inside in the bowling alley.

2. ACCOUNT TIME-OUT OR ADVANCE MODERATION. Occasionally, we have had to put members on a "time-out" or may in the future set a member's posts to "moderated." The member will get a warning via PM usually before being put on "time-out," unless the moderators deem the member to be so out of hand as to warrant immediate time-out. We have a "three strikes" policy, meaning, if you have been put on time-out two times already, then we may, at our discretion, shut the account down at strike three. However, there may be times that an account is shut down before strike three. *This would only happen on very rare occasions and is not typical* (except for spammers, who are dealt with swiftly). The moderators will always try to communicate with the member first before any drastic action is taken.

The following behaviors are likely to get a warning or time-out:

* Excessive flaming.
* Posting while intoxicated and causing disruption.
* Repeated off-topic posting despite requests to move the subject into the appropriate thread or forum.
* Flaming the moderator when the moderator tries to take care of off-topic discussions or flames.

Community members who have been contributing positively for an extended length of time will get more leeway (if, for example, they are just having a "bad day") than those who have been brief community members and immediately cause disruption.

Important Note: There have been folks who repeatedly flame the moderator when the moderator is simply trying to take care of an inflammatory thread. Do not add fuel to the fire by flaming the moderator in the same thread - any feedback on moderation should go to the Site Feedback forum (http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forums/site-feedback-and-comments). When a member repeatedly flames the moderator, who is simply attempting to get a thread back on track, they are making the moderator's job very difficult. This is why we may need to put that member on "time-out" so they can cool down and give the thread some breathing room. Flaming the moderator hampers the moderator's efforts to get a thread back on track, and if left unchecked, could blow up the thread even more.

3. SPAMMING AND ASTROTURFING. Anyone who spams the forums or comments will immediately have their account suspended. Impersonating someone or "astroturfing" (i.e. a paid commenter who is trying to promote an agenda on the site) can also result in suspension. We also have the ability to monitor IP addresses of members, and if we see suspicious activity by accounts all coming from the same IP address (usually spam), then we may ban the IP address entirely.

4. MODERATION FEEDBACK AND APPEAL. Please post moderation feedback to the Site Feedback forum or use the contact form. You can also contact the moderators via PM. As noted above, flaming the moderator in the middle of a thread could be grounds for an account time-out. The moderators strive very hard to be fair and balanced in moderation, but it's not uncommon for people to mistakenly confuse moderation of "one side" as evidence that the moderator is trying to "silence" a viewpoint. No, this is not the case. If "one side" is being moderated, it is because they are violating community guidelines - i.e., attacking and flaming instead of discussing things civilly.

5. THE MODERATORS ARE NOT HERE TO SUPPORT YOUR PERSONAL AGENDA. The moderators are not here to shut down people who "offend" you because they may hold an opinion you don't like (everyone has different thresholds of "offense"). The moderators are also not here to promote your particular worldview. Please do not abuse the flagging system to highlight posts you don't like, just because you disagree with someone's perspective. The moderators are also not here to change the titles of forum topics or edit posts just because you don't like how someone else worded something.

All that said, moderators are happy to help and will endeavor to do so if asked nicely. Some moderators update running forum topics  to keep the top post "fresh" for members trying to provide information. It is up to the individual moderator as to whether they want to help out, and how much time they have to give.

A final note: We regularly get comments from people who share how much they appreciate that TF Metals Report is a place for civil discussion without all the crass behavior seen elsewhere on the web. We believe this is due to the general high quality of people who come to visit, as well as Turd's leadership. It is also made possible due to moderation. So please appreciate your moderator. They volunteer their time to help make the site a friendly place.

Thank you!
Edited by admin on 10/05/2011 - 16:03

Moderator Calamity Jane helps keep Turdville free of trolls with her digital sharp-shooter!

ScottJ
ScottJ's picture
Hat Tips: 9168
Aww Rats!

Doh! Now I am going to have to spell-check and formulate my words much more carefully before posting! Oh the sanity! laugh

Thanks for everything Stephanie/Admin.  You two are the glue behind the scenes who often get no credit.  I am appreciative for everyone who makes Turdville possible, obviously including the Turd Himself, and the web team.  The formatting that tfmetalsreport has is second to none of any community I have been apart of!

Keep up the good work, the constant innovation, and your kind spirits/intentions.

A pleasure to be apart of such good company.

-

Scott

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Thank you Scott

That was very kind of you. We appreciate you too. :-)

Bay of Pigs
Bay of Pigs's picture
Thanks

I appreciate all of your efforts. 

Peace and Aloha,

BOP

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 11861
Thanks Moderators

Obviously something here in Turdville is working very well - this is a great place - it's informative, educational, supportive and fair, even when dealing with some highly charged topics.

Must say though ... although I don't do so frequently, I have been known to post while moderately intoxicated on a Friday evening - so that guideline (outlined above) worried me a wee bit.

Just kidding - carry on.

¤
¤'s picture
Hat Tips: 92321
Thanks to all of you

I hope this works out for the best for you Mods. and the website.

You've all taken a beating at times just helping out and trying to stay above the fray.

Thanks...talk to all of you on the forums later.

An epic lack of foresight, accuracy and humility over 3 1/2 years ago. Once a pumper, always a pumper!
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/170246#comment-170246

Stormdancer
Stormdancer's picture
Hat Tips: 6784
Bless you guys - one and all

Anyone that thinks a town can remain at peace with no sherriff isn't thinking in my opinion.  By all indications we've got intelligent, self-restrained sherriffs who make every attempt to identify personal biases and check them at the door when on official business.

We've got a vast majority of citizens who are intelligent, erudite and who also exhibit a measure of self-restraint.  If that majority is to be maintained the less self-controlled have to be externally restrained.

Freak me out, there are so many well researched, well presented points of view found here it's impossible to read them all, much less take the time required to compose a worthy response.

If it stays that way, you guys will be a big reason for the success.

Thank all of you!

A mountain tree, if it would see, the far horizon and the stars
May never know a sheltered place, nor grow symmetrical in grace
Such trees must battle doggedly, the blasts and bear the scars. - by Marion Loyal Thompson

Gil
Gil's picture
Hat Tips: 1175
Thank You TF & Moderators

Thanks to everyone who contributes time, energy and money to keep this place going. It looks like we have a reasonable plan to maintain a minimum level of decorum on the site. I commend the Moderators of Turdtown for their patience and good judgment. If I had to offer a criticism of the moderation effort so far, I would say that it has been too polite. If TF Metals Report invites people into this house for a positive, collaborative purpose and some of the people who show up choose to behave in a childish, ego-driven or otherwise disruptive manner and can't grasp the concept of mutual respect, their asses should be kicked to the curb (with extreme prejudice, imo). Otherwise, the people that you want to attract and contribute here will move on.

JY896
JY896's picture
Hat Tips: 11683
Thanks, and a vote on 1st post

Thank you all for the effort and dedication put into the site. RE: FIRST! -- 'tis a harmless and often witty tribute to the beginnings of this movement. My vote is to keep them, and if I ever get the opportunity, will post FIRST! (with some value add, I hope)

Turdland Jobs Forum

GoldMania3000
GoldMania3000's picture
Hat Tips: 5332
First Post

It's the child like ness in us that want's to say 'first'  once we lose the childlikeness then we lose the sight to have a joyful life.  This is a PM site but some of the fun and humor is a good.lighthearted way to relive the stress..so keep the first. its not like anyone is hurting or name calling.  If TURD can stick his hurt middle finger up we can keep the first:)

Big L
Big L's picture
Hat Tips: 2930
Gonna miss the FIRST!

I really liked the First, and just yesterday I got a THIRD! I figured that was the best I'd ever get. I danced around my chair to celebrate. Then I found it removed. Gosh, I didn't know what to think.

Now I know.

I gotta be honest, I'm disappointed, and I'll miss it. I thought it was fun, and a small way to play in an otherwise emotionally difficult and mentally strenuous discussion forum.

But I'm not complaining, just saying I'll miss it. 

If that's the rules, then that's the rules. So be it.

When I grow up and get a blog of my own, then I can have a FIRST every day.cheeky

PS. Thanks so much to the moderators! You are caring and giving people and you do us all a great service.

PPS Delete the trolls, I don't see the value in tolerating disruption, rudeness or verbal aggression. I think it's a good idea to set limits and keep them.

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3267
Posting "First"

Never done it, never will but it seems to be a blog tradition-seen it on many blogs.

Innocent fun; let it be IMO.

Learn to behave

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
First Posts

I wouldn't have any issue with a "First" that also includes some valid commentary or is funny, witty, or somehow related to the topic.

I on the other hand would not miss one bit the one-word "First" "Second" "Third" inanity that clutters up the beginning of every thread.

That's my vote on it! For whatever it's worth. I don't have strong feelings on it either way.

If I ever am blessed with the opportunity to make a "First" post I will try to make it something useful to the blog!

What ever the moderators decide is fine by me,  Turd did mention in his video trying to keep the main blog on topic.

GoldMania3000
GoldMania3000's picture
Hat Tips: 5332
First of all

:)

diegeiro
diegeiro's picture
Hat Tips: 1244
making Turdville and the forums better

Firsts: If people took the time to write a thoughtful post, they would never get first. First's through Turd's don't take up much room are easy to get past and make it faster to get through the first page. I personally wouldn't bother deleting or moving these. Sometimes, when people complain it is because they want to complain, and no matter what you do, these people will never be satisfied. They will always find something to complain about. I do my best to ignore those people.

As far as the forums are concerned, they were set up in a pretty rough outline. The hierarchy is not clear. Where to post and where to look for information is not structured in a way that makes the forums an easy place to either find what you are looking for, or where you may want to post something. For instance, finding information on gun ownership.

It would be nice if there was a cleaner hierarchy of subjects. For example one for cooking with Eric O's canned hams in a separate forum from other recipes, an area for recipes, cooking and canning, sustainable living, and breadmaking, since it was a topic many were interested in the past weekend. These are things that I am interested in, so I am using them as examples. Others have different interests that would have equal footing in different sub-sets, including another area for health related subjects. "Everything else" is a bit too broad. Although, when the site was first set up, no one knew what the "everything else" would be.

Another area of interest could be the EE as it applies to areas other than metals. Someone else could do a better job of explaining how this hierarchy should be than I.

Since the site is relatively young, now would be the time to set up a better filing system for the forums. And yes, people will complain if you change anything that they have already set in place, including a post. The key issue is functionability and ease of use. Ease of finding information revolves around a good filing system. It's a crummy job, but somebody has to do it. :-).  If it doesn't get done, (arranging a better filing system) things will get lost and people will keep posting their stuff on the main page (although they may continue to do so anyway). IMO, if the forums were organized a bit better, people would use them more. Also, if the moderators went ahead and created a forum and said, this is where we want this to go, most, except for the truly stubborn, would comply.

I really enjoyed going through DPH's 24/7 forum with videos and music. Although I would change it to one for music video and one for other video. Additionally IMO, DPH's recent 17 part video belonged there.

This site is evolving and should be allowed to do so in the very best possible way, by both Turd and his moderators, who happen to be the decision makers here, and the rest of us who have a choice to participate, or not.

I have noticed a lot of both ego and testosterone on this blog site, which reminds me of this old joke, "For an instant asshole, just add alcohol."

"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are." CS Lewis

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Moderation Guidelines - Please Read"