Afghanistan Holds Enormous Bounty of Rare Earths, Minerals

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wizard
Wizard's picture
Hat Tips: 3116
Afghanistan Holds Enormous Bounty of Rare Earths, Minerals

Ahhh A Light Bulb Moment, I wonder what China thinks of these developments after severely tightening their hold on their own Rare Earth Metals. Any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

Link : http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=afghanistan-holds-enormous-bounty-of-rare-earths

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:03
Stormdancer
Stormdancer's picture
Hat Tips: 6784
China won't lose a minute's sleep

Wizard,

That article is a breathtaking piece of pure fiction.  Anyone who has made even a cursory study of the process leading up to defining an economic deposit of any mineral will recognize that they haven't even begun the process.  They're coming up with dollar value estimates without turning a single drill on the "project"???

I wonder who the audience for this propaganda is?  It certainly isn't geologists or miners.  There isn't a geologist or miner on earth that would be sucked in by this for a nanosecond.

Even if there IS an economic deposit there, it would take five years to build the infrustructure necessary to build a mine and another five years to build the mine.  If they threw a whole bunch of drills at this tomorrow it would likely take years just to define the deposit.

They may have an economic deposit...I don't know.  But neither do they.  Somebody is pumping this idea for some other reason.  It can't be China, I'm sure they could see right through this.

This is much more likely to be about a fat juicy contract to build a power plant or a railroad than it is likely to be related to mining.

A mountain tree, if it would see, the far horizon and the stars
May never know a sheltered place, nor grow symmetrical in grace
Such trees must battle doggedly, the blasts and bear the scars. - by Marion Loyal Thompson

Wizard
Wizard's picture
Hat Tips: 3116
@Stormdancer

Thank you for your insights on this article, It never ceases to amaze me the breadth and depth of the base of knowledge of the members that are in our little community here.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Afghanistan Holds Enormous Bounty of Rare Earths, Minerals"