Purchasing Pre-packaged Long Term Food (Mountain House, Food Insurance)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alaska
Alaska's picture
Hat Tips: 19
Purchasing Pre-packaged Long Term Food (Mountain House, Food Insurance)

I looked through many forum topics but havent seen one that covers purchasing long term food from a company.  This week I started researching long term food prep options and its come down to Mountain House & food insurance.  Food insurance food looks appetizing but I have never had it.  Anyone have?  I have had mountain house and enjoyed it so ive been looking at comparable prices of MH to find the best deals. 

My question is.. Has anyone purchased the mountain house year+ packs from a reputable company?  Has anyone done research on the cheapest website?  Ive been taking notes on MH packs from different websites like www.survival-warehouse.com, www.nitro-pak.com , www.survivalunlimited.com, www.deepcreeksurvival.com , etc but they all offer different packs with different meal combinations which makes price comparison hard.  Before I spend hours upon hours analyzing the best prices from the best website I wanted to check to see if anyone else has already done some research?  If no one has, Id be willing to share the results here if anyone is interested. 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
NCdirtdigger
NCdirtdigger's picture
Hat Tips: 85
mountain House

I purchase the equivalent of 1 years supply of Mountain House from Emergency Essentials. It came in several shipments as some items were back ordered. I customized my order as I have access to bulk grains and legumes locally. I cherry picked items that my family would actually eat and that I knew how to prepare. (I was a cook in the Navy and we used a considerable amount of dehydrated items in our galley).  I found their prices to be better than most and the variety of selection to be good. To be honest, we have not opened too much to try it. The few items we have, have been up to the level of quaility I would expect of dehydrated.

sdprep
sdprep's picture
When I bought my freeze dried

When I bought my freeze dried stores I went with costco as they were the cheapest route at the time but I do not consider mountain house the best option for storage longer than 3 months.

My storage consists of enough no/low cook stuff to last for 3 months.  The rest of it (longer term) is dry/canned goods like beans, rice, wheat, flours etc.

It really is a good idea to store what you already eat and besides the mountain house stuff is very high in sodium if that is an issue.

If I were you I would take a look at www.shelfreliance.com or another solution like that.  Perhaps store dry or canned goods with a mix of freeze dried meats, veggies and fruits to balance out your diet.

SuperManny
SuperManny's picture
Hat Tips: 805
A years worth of food for under $800

I just recently discovered that both Costco and Sams Club are now carrying a years worth of long-term-storage food for under $800. Apparently as the popularity of long-term food has brought the price down quite a bit.

When I first started prepping, about 2 years ago, neither place had anything like this and I searched long and hard for good prices on the internet. I ended up getting a bulk pack of 6 months of food, plus a dozen or so extra large cans and my order came to over $1,000.00. So either I got ripped off, or the price has dropped significantly. I don't think I got ripped off too much, because I remember searching online for weeks on end, trying to find something that had a long shelf life and was still fairly edible. Much of this long-term food is barely edible... 

So that leaves the other option, which means it has dropped significantly in price, but to be fair I haven't seen any reviews from either Costco or Sams Club, so this could possibly be some of that barely edible variety...

Alaska
Alaska's picture
Hat Tips: 19
Update

So I wanted to update you on what I ended up doing. I looked at many many websites and ended up going with emergency essentials. (Like NCdirtdigger did) I ended up going with the Grourmet 2000 Year Supply of food. Its on sale for $3,700 with regular price at $4,790. I picked that because it provides me with instant mountain house food to suppmement our large pantry of canned foods and staples.

I called them to place the order and get a shipping quote since I live in Alaska. They quoted me $422 which I believe is very reasonable for a 640# pallet of food shipping to Alaska. Anywhere else in the US is $12. The order of food was shipped the same day and I have a tracking number and I should recieve it next week!! All in all, Great company with fast service!

Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
I don't hate prepackaged foods. But I think you can do better

I buy in bulk and store in buckets and or can.  It cost you under $300. oo to store bulk staples with a bit of work involved. If you want to pay a grand or 3 grand on your preps that's on you. You are paying for convenience, it's easy to use and lightweight.  I can't afford to buy food at that price, so I go cheap and 3 years running all my food is good. 

I do wish I could spend $3-4 grand on prepping. But FD food for a year would not be on my wishlist.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Purchasing Pre-packaged Long Term Food (Mountain House, Food Insurance) "