Troll Busters

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bay of Pigs
Bay of Pigs's picture
Troll Busters

Having been at Mish's, ZH and now Turd's for the last few years I've seen literally hundreds of trolls. Busted so many by now, I've kind of lost count. Some members at ZH have even referred to me a "troll buster".

Well, on that note, here's a place to kick that topic around if we need or want to. I'm assuming some of you would have some great stories to tell about various trolls/blogs.

Feel feel to share whatever you want or vent on whomever you like, as anything goes here at "fight club".    

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:25
Zoltan
Zoltan's picture
Hat Tips: 4775
Rebunkers and Fight Club

Thanks Bay of Pigs

Bring it on Bitches (shout out to ZH)

Z

I Am The Unknow...
I Am The Unknown Comic's picture
Hat Tips: 2796
Canned Ham Recipe In Honor Of Bay Of Pigs

I have seen Bay of Pigs in action here and for a while over at ZH.  He is good at busting trolls and I think that is a function that somebody needs to perform.  He has a knack for it and because it is a unique talent, I am taking the time to honor him with his very own Canned Ham recipe and so here it goes:

Bay of Pigs Canned Ham and Trollful (truffle) Pate:

Note: the secret of this dish is the trollful.  Collecting them is even considered an art in France.  Only a very astute nose can smell them and identify them.  Once found in the forest, they must be dug out of the ground, being careful to get them at the root for best results.  Be sure to pulverize the trollfulls by beating them repeatedly until they are ground into a paste.

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 pound fresh Trollfuls, torn to pieces and beaten to a pulp
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 canned ham

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with aluminum foil.
  2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and shallots; cook and stir until the shallot has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a mixing bowl, and set aside to cool. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Trollfulls, and cook until these mushrooms are tender and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, and cook for 30 seconds more, then scrape the mushrooms into the mixing bowl, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
  3. Mix 3/4 of the canned ham, egg whites, salt, and pepper into the trollful mixture with your hands until evenly blended. Stir in the cream until absorbed by the pork mixture. Line the bottom and sides of the loaf pan with the remaining 1/4 canned ham. Pack the meat mixture into the loaf pan and flatten the top.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven about 1 hour.

Serves: Everybody here very well.

Best enjoyed with Pinot Noir while mocking troll comments such as "it only costs $5 to dig out of the ground." 

Good luck trading to all, and remember that my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. Trade on your own.

I Am The Unknow...
My Own Personal Worst Troll

@Bay of Pigs - over at ZH I had a freaking troll stalker who went by William The Bastard (as one of his many aliases, I'm sure).  That jerk used to stalk my comments and post right underneath me.  It seemed like no matter what I said, he turned it into a personal attack.  I struck back and called upon the ZH community to junk him off the site and they did.  This was after I started ending my comments with sentences like "hey look, I must be a bridge because there's always a troll underneath me."  That way when he slandered me he would be the next avatar under my comments, thus fingering him as a troll.

These damned trolls are bloody annoying and counterproductive, and I know that is their goal.  What I can't seem to figure out is who exactly is hiring them and how much do they get paid?  I would love to know this as I would take great delight in infiltrating their organization(s) and getting paid by them to collect intel on them as I find out who they are, who funds them, who are their targets, and why the hell do they bother so much - I mean really, who cares about what I think or post on ZH or anywhere else? 

Of course, it would be pointless to present such inside info to the current SEC or Attorney General as evidence of market manipulation, but who knows, maybe in a few years these assholes will be held accountable for their blatant attempts at manipulating especially the silver market.

Cheers,

Kitty

Good luck trading to all, and remember that my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them. Trade on your own.

diegeiro
diegeiro's picture
Hat Tips: 1244
yeah it got pretty bad at ZH

That's why I stopped posting and reading a lot of the comments there. Too many hijacked threads.
Glad to know that the unknown foil hat kitty knows our new troll busters.  Bay of Pigs is familiar to me. Zoltan not so much.

Will you be posting your troll alerts here to circumvent feeding the trolls in the threads?

"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are." CS Lewis

Stormdancer
Stormdancer's picture
Hat Tips: 6784
I hate trolls!

I suspect that we will someday learn more about who hires them and why.  One of the side effects of this coming collapse will be low level minions losing their jobs as money to pay them dries up.  Some of those will have nothing left to lose by telling their stories...and some will go public for tabloids and whatnot BECAUSE they need the money.  I hope secrets get revealed while there's still a way to hold criminals accountable.

Another source of information could be protests that turn into riots in which official or bank buildings get overrun and internal documents get out into the light.

We already know that managing public perception via infiltrating blogs is condoned at the highest levels of government judging by Cass Sunstein's published papers on the topic and his current position as Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs for the Obama administration.

A long time Obama confidant, Sunstein authored a paper in 2008 called "Conspiracy Theories".  The following is the abstract from the paper (bold text mine):

Quote:
Abstract:     
Many millions of people hold conspiracy theories; they believe that powerful people have worked together in order to withhold the truth about some important practice or some terrible event. A recent example is the belief, widespread in some parts of the world, that the attacks of 9/11 were carried out not by Al Qaeda, but by Israel or the United States. Those who subscribe to conspiracy theories may create serious risks, including risks of violence, and the existence of such theories raises significant challenges for policy and law. The first challenge is to understand the mechanisms by which conspiracy theories prosper; the second challenge is to understand how such theories might be undermined. Such theories typically spread as a result of identifiable cognitive blunders, operating in conjunction with informational and reputational influences. A distinctive feature of conspiracy theories is their self-sealing quality. Conspiracy theorists are not likely to be persuaded by an attempt to dispel their theories; they may even characterize that very attempt as further proof of the conspiracy. Because those who hold conspiracy theories typically suffer from a crippled epistemology, in accordance with which it is rational to hold such theories, the best response consists in cognitive infiltration of extremist groups. Various policy dilemmas, such as the question whether it is better for government to rebut conspiracy theories or to ignore them, are explored in this light.

So, it's not a stretch to conclude that at least some trolls are paid by....taxpayers.

A mountain tree, if it would see, the far horizon and the stars
May never know a sheltered place, nor grow symmetrical in grace
Such trees must battle doggedly, the blasts and bear the scars. - by Marion Loyal Thompson

diegeiro
diegeiro's picture
Hat Tips: 1244
crippled epistemology

They make it sound like some kind of disease

"Because those who hold conspiracy theories typically suffer from a crippled epistemology, in accordance with which it is rational to hold such theories, the best response consists in cognitive infiltration of extremist groups."

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy definition of epistomology:

"Defined narrowly, epistemology is the study of knowledge and justified belief. As the study of knowledge, epistemology is concerned with the following questions: What are the necessary and sufficient conditions of knowledge? What are its sources? What is its structure, and what are its limits? As the study of justified belief, epistemology aims to answer questions such as: How we are to understand the concept of justification? What makes justified beliefs justified?"

To me this definition, as well as what would be used to describe crippled epistomology, is just some twisted philosophical mumbo jumbo used to support whatever they want it to, using big words to make themselves feel both important and better than everyone else who needs to use a dictionary to get through each and every paragraph while it continues to make absolutely no sense at all.

And no it is not a stretch to think that the taxpayers through NGO's are paying for it all.

signing off for the night

"The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are." CS Lewis

qqq62
qqq62's picture
Hat Tips: 66
Good Job!

Yes lets get these twats!

learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3271
Watching

Waiting

Learn to behave

Bay of Pigs
Bay of Pigs's picture
@I Am The Unknown

What was your handle over there at ZH?

Billy the Bastard, GoldenMiddleFinger, Math Man, Johnny Bravo and many others took up way too much space on those threads. They were all instigators and troublemakers. Now some douchebag called Libertarians for Prosperity (I think he's the old Redneck Repugnant) gets it from me now and then. I really can't being called a"doomer" by these idiots.

Zyphen was clearly a troll. He had to be confronted and outed. Good job gang.

I agree it is counterproductive for us to waste too much time and energy on them. I am glad some of have my back, and I yours.

Peace and Aloha...

BOP

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
I've been on lots of forums

I've been on lots of forums for years and have managed my own for 4-5 years.

There are different types of trolls, lets face it.

They best way to "bust" a troll overall is to completely ignore them. If they truly are truly doing nothing more than instigating and acting like a 6 year old, then they will go away due to the lack of attention. Seen it a 100 times.

If someone comes along and challenges the groupthink and is mildly abrasive, I have no issue with that. They will be checked by guys like Bay here and things will be fine. These "trolls" have a specific purpose in that they force you to question the pervasive herd mentality. It's normal and healthy and everyone should welcome it. Best way to deal with them is to challenge them right back.

If a real fuckjob shows up and comes off all cute at the mouth, tries to pick fights, slams the mods/admin, etc...you just ban them.

Easy.

The #1 rule is don't stoop to their level or you've officially been had by the intrawebz.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Darth Smoker
Darth Smoker's picture
Hat Tips: 730
Remember the Troll Song

http://trololololololololololo.com/

Just when you think he's gone - then he's back!

lostinspace
lostinspace's picture
Hat Tips: 2386
HITMAN56 on ZeroHedge. There

HITMAN56 on ZeroHedge.

There was a post about Timmay, and his comment was "somebody pop this fuck".

My response was "why don't you do what the government usually does... do it yourself and blame someone else?"

I called him an agent provocateur and posted the wiki definition of said title.

Within minutes his comment, my reply, and others all disappeared.

Hopefully Mr. Holdren didn't take it too hard on him...

Bay of Pigs
Bay of Pigs's picture
Thanks Dr Durden

I appreciate your no nonsense approach to this. I agree with you but it can be difficult to ignore at times.

Zyphen throwing Murphy, McGuire and GATA under the bus was a dead giveaway. Then he took a swipe at Turd himself. He might not be a classic "troll", but he still needed to be confronted/outed.

Stormdancer
Stormdancer's picture
Hat Tips: 6784
freak me out....

I get tied up for a day and miss the best troll busting opportunity of the year :).  Zyphen IS a troll... and a very sophisticated one.  I haven't had time to read all the posts I've missed but it looks like it's been chaos.

One of the most effective weapons a troll can employ is getting a community like this one with many intelligent (and sometimes stubborn) people with a diversity of perspectives fighting among themselves.

We need the diversity of perspective.  We need the intelligence.  We need the discussion.  We don't need the mean spiritedness that appears to have been loosed today.

The quality of poster here is second to none...I think Turdville will recover its decorum and respect for divergent opinions that are held honestly.

Zyphen doesn't fit that description.

Bay of Pigs (I think it was) pointed out one glaring proof - Andrew MaGuire.  I'll try to take time tomorrow to find all Zyphen's posts and find a few more.  I'm betting they're there...

A mountain tree, if it would see, the far horizon and the stars
May never know a sheltered place, nor grow symmetrical in grace
Such trees must battle doggedly, the blasts and bear the scars. - by Marion Loyal Thompson

I Am The Unknow...
Same

Hey BOP,

Same handle, but I changed avatars over there from time to time and right now the avatars don't match. 

Gosh "Meth Man" was a total pain in the ass. 

I got  trolled upon by Librertarians for Prosperity the last time I seriously engaged in conversation at ZH and that I think was the last time I posted anything thoughtful over there.  I pretty much just keep it now to witticisms and "drive by humor."  

You see, this is the damned consequence of allowing trolls to ruin a website... you get people like me who simply no longer want to participate in, engage or initiate meaningful and educational debate.  This is exactly why I support your efforts here in Turdville and wish you the best of success. 

I personally seem to suck at detecting trolls until it's too late and everybody else has already figured out they're a troll.  My downfall is that I believe in my heart that people are good and so I always am giving them the benefit of the doubt.  This makes me a perfect troll target.  That's why people like me need you. 

Give 'em hell.   

Good job on Zyphen (I didn't catch all the action but caught enough posts to make my decision).

All the best,

-Kitty

Zoltan
Zoltan's picture
Hat Tips: 4775
Just say no to censorship

Thought I should contribute to this thread as it is a matter of importance to this community.

My request to not delete posts from obvious trolls but rather to sent them here for review and analysis was a way to keep the blog clean from their crap and to allow readers to make their own decisions about people's contributions to this site.  I don't like censorship by deleting posts (except in cases of obvious spamming or if the post is deemed too offensive for the community standard) and feel we would gain more by having them here to dissect.

As Turd acknowledged in his blog today the organized troll brigade is registering en masse and will work to divide and destroy this community.  I have seen many sites I respect destroyed by trolls (anyone remember who duneyman, duneyman jr. and roger were?).

PM bears and people with opposite opinions are important contributors to the discussions and are not trolls based on their beliefs.  But there is an organized enemy to these sites that will sow carnage in the community if not challenged and outed.  There is a huge diversity of opinions here on all matters from PM's to canned hams and there is room for that.

What we need to do is be vigilant about those that would destroy what we have built.

I Am The Unknow...
Got My Vote

Zoltan you've got my vote on that.  Would you and/or BOP please forward that idea to the moderators?  They have a "suggestion box" kind of forum set up for site improvement ideas.

Turdville has reached critical mass now and I don't think the trolls will stop coming.  I think somebody posted on the main thread that there were 27,000 hits on the Revolutions and Revolutionaries thread alone, and Turd chimed in that they were all from unique IP addresses.  That is pretty darn good traffic. 

On another note, though, even if only 1% of all the traffic were trolls, then that equals 270 freaking trolls to deal with.  I suspect we're going to need some help from the Moderators and regulars in Turdville.

Could you also suggest to the Moderators a button (like the ignore button) that says "Troll" or "Troll Alert."  Then, similar to the "Alert Moderator" button it would send a copy of the potential troll's email here where you and BOP could make the call on whether or not label the poster a troll.  If somebody gets labeled a Troll then instead of "Muckman" or "Digger", etc. their avatar could read "Probable Troll" and people could use the ignore button on them.  Enough ignores, say over 1,000 should be enough to delete the poster's account, in my opinion.

Well, that's all just food for thought.  As I mentioned before, I suck at dealing with trolls but I am determined to do what I can to keep them from ruining this site.  I warn in advance that I will present both good and not so good ideas, but that's why you guys are in charge of this forum and not me.  Best of luck.  Cheers.

Ao
Ao's picture
What is a troll?

Here you people are talking about trolls, but no attempt is made to clearly define exactly what are the essential characteristics of a troll.  In other words, define your terms.  I think this term is over used and misused to define anyone you don't like or disagree. 

The best way to handle someone with whom you disagree is to have superior reasoning skills, a greater command of the facts, and the ability to define your terms.  If you can get to the very heart of a flawed premise you can easily overwhelm your opponent with the truth.  Using the term troll is just another ad hominem attack and a good argument is vastly more educational and instructive than just throwing labels on someone.  The ability to dissect a persons argument word for word is the best way to expose his ignorance, stupidity, or malicious intent.  This my friends is a rare unique art and skill not to be very often found in any forum.

Additionally, this is not a fight.  Isn't this the fight room?  This is a one sided discussion about a word that has not even been defined.  That reduces it to nothing but emotion, unfounded feelings attached to a word with only connotation, not precise definition.  For shame !!!!

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 34270
I agree with Dr. Durden.  It

I agree with Dr. Durden.  It has been said that the native americans would curse an individual by turning their backs on them.  Ignoring somebody is the worse sort of invalidation a human must endore.   Remember a time when nobody listened to you.   An angry person seeks a reaction, any reaction.  When you respond to them, they have won. 

Sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never hurt me.   Whoever wrote that surely wasn't a six year old.  Man can take any number of physical abuse and torture but call somebody stupid and they will immediately lash out.  The weakest part of a human being is his psyche.   If you are fat and somebody calls you fat, it can't bother you as long as you are comfortable with being fat.   When somebody calls you something that you don't like, it is only because there is a place within you that believes that which was told you.  It is called pushing buttons.  If you remove your buttons, nobody can press them.  

If somebody tells you gold is going to $2.00 it should not bother you if you are convinced through your entire being that it is not.  

Whomever accepts this premise, I suggest we start by ignoring the person that called Turd a Turd.  Invariably somebody is going to respond in anger to defend the Turd.  No need.   The person will be extremely insulted if nobody responds. 

carld
carld's picture
The mods give the trolls plenty of attention

Why there is an ignore button, I don't know.  The mods only destroy this site because they do not permit the slightest degree of contention, disagreement, alternate points of views. 

It's all one big happy family now.  Don't dare even start a fight in the fight room.  That's another big lie.  The mods will make sure there is not the slightest hint of debate, neither with them nor with a fellow member. 

The edge is gone.  There isn't the slightest fun here anymore.  They wouldn't know a troll here if one kicked them in the ass.

Like it was said above the word troll is undefined and just another way to slam another with ad hominem attacks.

The mods here are a big joke.  It's disgusting, now the place is sterile, and dull.

Hope you people like your new Gestapo and fascist dictator and his female Nazis.

If this is not deleted, then the account will get closed or the IP blocked.

These damn Mods cause so much hatred for this site.  It will never make it now.  That you can count on.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Troll Busters"