What is proper prep?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brotha Bob
Brotha Bob's picture
Hat Tips: 800
What is proper prep?

OK, what do those here consider proper prep? A short list response would be appreciated. Turd has mentioned it, and others have too. But to clarify it a little, how should one prepare. No one really says.

Please bright light to the darkness.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06

May God Help Us All

But, what do I know?

pink freud
pink freud's picture
Hat Tips: 1606
Things you need to live, in

Things you need to live, in this order.

1. Water - I have several ways of purification and a source.

2. Food - Freeze dried has the longest shelf life, then Jarred and canned foods. 

3. Shelter - A nice 3 season tent or if you are wealthy - build an underground cement bunker reinforced by steel.

Once you have those, you need to be able to protect them. (Guns, weapons, tools)

Then worry about protecting wealth. (PM's)

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
Decloak #1 -

Everyone is leaving off "air" from their lists.

If Fukushima is as "fuku'd" as it seems, our atmosphere is actually becoming more and more contaminated as time moves on.

The Pacific Ocean is also "Fuku'd".  The only question is how long it takes to filter the biologically active toxins out of the ecosystem.

More data is needed to quantify the biological threat level from constant exposure to extremely small quantities of radioactive isotopes.

Our bodies can handle some exposure, but undoubtedly we should be seeing rise in thyroid cancers in the Sendai area soon.

It will be another 5 years before the medical literature acknowledges this.

So, Air ends up on my list of important things.

As for missile silos and decommissioned USAF facilities, Air is a part of the plan.

sdprep
sdprep's picture
Water, Food and Finances.Sit

Water, Food and Finances.

Sit down and make a list of possible events.  Categorize them by Personal(example Job or Income Loss), Regional(City or County Blackout), Statewide, National and International.  After that number them from 1 to whatever number of events you have with 1 being the most likely to happen.

For the event that is most likely to hit you think of what it entails and how you can make life easier if it were to happen.   Move to the next item and repeat until you have a plan for every event. 

Take a look at your results and notice the trend of what tends to help you in each situation.  This is where you should start.

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
I've read many books on

I've read many books on survival and the one thing they all agree on is that MENTAL preparation is the most important... like 70% mental prep.  If you have a mental breakdown, no amount of supplies in the world will save/help you.

I highly recommend "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, andWhy" by Laurence Gonzales.

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
In a SHTF situation, your

In a SHTF situation, your most valuable tools will be the brain in your head and those two things at the ends of your arms.

plata larga
plata larga's picture
Hat Tips: 81
What is proper prep?

Work hard, make and save as much money as you can, and GET OUT OF DEBT.  Enjoy life and appreciate your loved ones and the good things in your life.  Keep a low profile and low overhead, follow the law, and try to stay under the radar. 

Next, look at Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  Have sufficient clothing, shelter, water, food, etc. for you and your family based on likelihood of a problem and the severity of impact. Prepare for a grid-down/lock-down situation by maintaining at least few days of fresh drinking water, a few weeks of non-perishable food and medications, and off-grid cooking and lighting capability (camp stove, fuel, LED flashlights, batteries).  Always keep your vehicle and home heating fuel tanks mostly full.  These preps cost almost nothing and could have a huge impact.

Extra spare emergency CASH MONEY (fiat) is also at the top of the list, because enough cash will solve nearly any problem, even/especially if it is a SHTF situation.  An effective means to defend yourself (ideally legal firearms) and your property is also proper.  Continue to build your awareness, skills and mindset so you can deal with the realistically most likely problems.  (What if your car AND cell phone fail at the worst possible time and place?)  If I commute in a major city on mass transit, I am going to carry emergency cash (longest cab fare home), wear season appropriate clothing and good walking shoes, and carry small survival kit with a bottle or two of water, rain gear, snack, map, flashlight, lighter, band aids, pocket knife, etc.  And, I would keep a larger bug out/bug in kit at my workplace.  In my car, I have spare emergency cash, maps, flashlight, appropriate clothing... mostly full tank of gas.  When out and about, I may carry a concealed firearm, and always spare cash, a sturdy lock blade pocket knife, cell phone, sturdy footwear, etc.   I have a 1921 Morgan dollar on me most of the time, for good luck.

At home, I keep all of the above mentioned types of preps on a larger scale.  It is a guarded family secret that is not discussed. 

Since this place is about the end of the Keynesian experiment, we prepare for the gradual decline or sudden collapse of the economy.  Potential problems include: degraded public services; higher taxes, unemployment and prices; lower wages and standard of living; more poverty and crime.  There may be sudden economic, political and social shocks like bank holidays, rapid currency devaluation, (electronic) financial failure (or lockdown), government (welfare payment) shut down, riots and looting.  It may be impossible or difficult to safely travel or carry out routine tasks like work, shopping for food, medicine and household items.  I understand that there will be lasting impacts, but believe that any full-on widespread SHTF conditions/clampdown would pass quickly (most likely a few days, but maybe a month or two).  People are adaptable and life will go on, only shittier.

People living or working in urban areas need to keep their ear to the ground and their eyes open, and have a plan to bug out at the first sign of problems. 

It is proper to take care of the preceding items, before making significant investments in PMs.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "What is proper prep?"