Best gold/silver ETFs?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
unknownrider
unknownrider's picture
Hat Tips: 723
Best gold/silver ETFs?

Can anyone recommend the best ETFs backed by real bullion for gold and silver. Looking at CEF, GDX, and Santas' TRX. Sprotts' stuff PHYS, etc seem way out of line due to the crazy 20% premium. Thanks.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31
Animal Sacrifice
Animal Sacrifice's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
Do not confuse ETFs with CEFs (Closed End Funds)

Can anyone recommend the best ETFs backed by real bullion for gold and silver. Looking at CEF, GDX, and Santas' TRX. Sprotts' stuff PHYS, etc seem way out of line due to the crazy 20% premium. Thanks.

In my opinion there are NO good gold or silver bullion ETFs. Of the few tickers you mention, CEF is good but is not an ETF it is a CEF (Closed End Fund) as is PHYS. GDX is an ETF representing gold miner stocks and TRS is an individual gold miner stock.

As for the bullion CEFs that I personally think are all find you will find: CEF (50% gold 50% silver), GTU (100% gold), SVRZF (100% silver), PHYS (100% gold), and PSLV (100% silver.) These are all run by two seperate, well trusted fund families, the first three by Central Fund of Canada and the last two by Sprott. I just buy whichever meets my desired investment ratio at any given time and I am highly conscious of the premium/discount to NAV that each fund has. I agree that PSLV currently has an insane premium and wouldn't but it but might buy SVRZF if I wanted a silver play. I'm out of silver and gold entirely except miners right now so haven't been following the CEFs NAVs but believe that right now if you are OK with half gold half silver that CEF is by far the best deal.

HTH

Ibú Ayé fun o mi opolopo owo

//www.cultural-expressions.com/ifa/orisha/ogun.htm>

Gwyde
Gwyde's picture
Hat Tips: 2258
RE: Best gold/silver ETFs?

To start with: GDX is Van Eck's gold miners ETF, not an alternative for bullion in any case.

If you're looking for an alternative to GLD, CEF can indeed be considered. The gold/silver is stored in Canada and its presence in the Bank's vaults is audited by E&Y. Redemption of CEF shares in PM is not possible.

SGOL is another alternative worth considering. The gold is stored in a Swiss bank. Redemption of SGOL shares in gold is not possible.

With all bullion ETF's there is a yearly fee (as with all other ETF's). If you intend to hold the ETF for a limited time, the facility of trading balances the cost incurred. If you have a decade perspective, nothing is any better than physical bullion. 

As you probably know, the custodian of the silver ETF SLV is JP Morgan. Do I need to tell more?

Gwyde

unknownrider
unknownrider's picture
Many thanks for your

Many thanks for your response.  Do you think Jim Sinclairs' TRX would  be worth looking into?

unknownrider
unknownrider's picture
Many thanks for your

Many thanks for your response.  Do you think Jim Sinclairs' TRX would  be worth looking into?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Best gold/silver ETFs?"