Best quality/most accessible area for well water in Texas?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I Got Worms
I Got Worms's picture
Hat Tips: 25
Best quality/most accessible area for well water in Texas?

For the time being, I'm about done stacking and loading up on food/weapons, so am now shifting my focus to the search for an area to perhaps purchase some acreage for recreation/camping/bugging out. I'm in Austin, so I'm pretty central to just about anywhere in Texas.  Requirement is that I can drill a well and extract decent water (which will be run through my Berkey as well).  Any suggestions?

Also, generally, if you are in an area suitable for a well, what is the approximate cost to have a well dug that would supply water to a mobile home/airstream type trailer? Gracias amigos!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
I love the water that comes

I love the water that comes out of the Ogalalla aquifer.  That is the area north of the cap rock.  Only problem is the farmers love to use up all the water, so you have to find someplace away from their pumps.  Right next to the city of Lubbock is a good place, because they don't use the aquifer water, and there are few farms in the city limits, so you are right on the side of a big dome of water.

Just hope they don't get wise and start using it all up for municipal water (currently imported from a million miles away for no apparent reason).

I Got Worms
I Got Worms's picture
Hat Tips: 25
Thanks T-mos. Lubbock is a

Thanks T-mos. Lubbock is a bit farther away than I planned, although I know the area well and love West Texas. I went to law school at Tech, and my work for the electric utility out that way brings me to Amarillo on a regular basis.

BTW - always enjoy reading your posts here and on ZH.

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
I suggest calling some well

I suggest calling some well drilling companies in different areas to get an idea about cost and water quality.  I know that the cost can vary quite a bit depending upon how deep they need to drill.  I think last I checked, the ballpark estimate was ~$5,000 give or take.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Magpie
Magpie's picture
Hat Tips: 11458
Aquifer maps & USGS groundwater info

http://www.classzone.com/books/earth_science/terc/content/investigations/es1406/es1406page10.cfm

http://water.usgs.gov/ogw/

(I ended up NOT buying two different parcels of land using the info at these and other sites.)  Hope it helps.  You need to check zoning restrictions, too.  Lots of places won't allow an Airstream on your own land, even for one day.

ancaro imparo.

bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Magpie, how did you use the

Magpie, how did you use the referenced sites to decide against buying those parcels?  Any chance you could give a simple example on what to look for? 

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Best quality/most accessible area for well water in Texas?"