Silverware/silver cutlery (spoons, forks, etc)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
reefman
reefman's picture
Hat Tips: 2489
Silverware/silver cutlery (spoons, forks, etc)

I was at an antique shop yesterday and noticed they have an assortment of old used silverware like spoons, forks, knives, serving utensils etc. I noticed spoons were only $8 each. I am only interested in sterling silver - not silver plated items. 

Anyone have any thoughts on buying silverware? At that same shop I picked up a 1963 silver Canadian dollar for $26 (as a price comparison the local coin shop is selling them for $30 - $33). 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08

I pay taxes to a PRIVATE FOR-PROFIT CORPORATION called a "city/municipality".

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
Go for it

I have a box that I have put several miss matched sterling in along with the 1 troy pound and 1/2 troy pound eagles in. Once I get enough of this I will either sell it to the smelter or I will have the silver converted into 1oz bars and use it as conversion to gold.

I also have several 2+ once 9.25 bars that I used to get on the cheap that is in the box. My cheapest silver buys overall was based on that box, I can still get a good buy on those big eagles every now and then.

Brotha Bob
Brotha Bob's picture
Hat Tips: 800
Some is better than none

Some is better then none.

If you find sterling, and it is cheap, sure pick it up. You, or someone else, will at some point. If, you have the time to troll, it is a smart idea.

May God Help Us All

But, what do I know?

snoochieboochies
snoochieboochies's picture
Hat Tips: 160
This crossed my mind earlier

This crossed my mind earlier today, i've been wondering if it's worth buying sterling off ebay if it's going cheap.

I'm a noob, please don't take anything i say as trading advice!!

opalboy
opalboy's picture
Hat Tips: 477
just make sure

that it is stamped sterling, I have bought a lot of flatware and if it doesn't have sterling spelled out then pass on it! Some of the very old stuff has four figurative stamps instead, and one of them usually a lion, means sterling.  And knives have about 10 to 15 grams of sterling and the rest is steel and filling.

The other thing is most refiners will pay about 90% for silver so price accordingly.

opalboy
opalboy's picture
Hat Tips: 477
one more thing

I just had a gal bring in a bunch of silver items, lots of silverware that was marked sterling inlaid, and it was also plated. So be aware.

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Thrift shops

Yeah we used to go around to thrift shops and make bank on buying stuff stamped 925 or Sterling  for 50 cents a spoon and flipping it for $20+ at the coin shop, but all the smart thrift shops have wised up to this practice and pre-sort the stuff now before putting it on the shelf. Don't bother with Goodwill or Salvation Army as they both know full well what silver is and that doesn't fly. Your only hope is mom and pop thrift shops or charity shops where the people working the place don't know anything, and to tell you the truth we felt pretty bad about fleecing the charity ones out of their silver so now if we happen across some at a church resale, etc, we bring it to their attention and let them take the profit on it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Silverware/silver cutlery (spoons, forks, etc)"